Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 09:55 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,973,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qujiatian View Post
Thanks for the advice. We are Asian. You made the point even though it is harsh. WE live in east coast now, which is like living in Asian countries. We are afraid of moving to other less culture-diversified cities. In your opinoin, which areas in Pittsburgh have more Asian people? Also thank rhondee for your very positive perspective.
You're unlikely to experience any racial problems anywhere in the region, especially in the more upscale areas you are looking at. Unless it makes you uncomfortable not to live around other Asian people, it would be totally pointless to make the decision based on racial demographics.

If you have any specific needs, like being close to an Asian grocery store or a temple or something along those lines, then maybe it would make sense to choose a location based on that. But a fear of racism against Asians in these areas is unfounded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 10:33 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,954,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qujiatian View Post
Thanks for the advice. We are Asian. You made the point even though it is harsh. WE live in east coast now, which is like living in Asian countries. We are afraid of moving to other less culture-diversified cities. In your opinoin, which areas in Pittsburgh have more Asian people? Also thank rhondee for your very positive perspective.
Sorry if you thought my post was somehow against Asians. It was not at all. My point was Fox Chapel has lots of Asian kids attending and I was overly strong in voicing my opinion that you should look at Fox Chapel School District. All the districts you mentioned are no doubt very good, but I was also thinking of your husband's commute.

You have no worries about Pittsburgh being some less diverse place that Asians may be looked at differently. There are lots of people from all different countries in Pittsburgh. I think you are going to be very happy when you get here to find out how welcome you will be. The only reason I thought you were Asian is because the style you wrote. I know lots of people from all over the world and many times I can pick that out.

Once again, sorry for my prior post that was so poorly written. I hope you will look at coming to Pittsburgh in a very positive light and not worry about being treated differently here. You won't be and there are lots of Asians in Pittsburgh. By the way about 24% of Carnegie Mellon University is Asian or of Asian decent. I hope you love Pittsburgh. Welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh