Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 01:42 PM

3 posts, read 3,628 times

Advertisements

I really appreciate this forum and people who are posting information here. We are moving to Pittsburgh. My husband is going to work at Presbyterian Hospital. My son is going to high school soon. We are looking for a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment at Me Lebanon, Upper St. Calir or North Allegheny. But when we look for apartments on line, they would not tell us which school districts they are located. The school district is not by zip code either. We are confused. If anybody had lived in those areas, would you please give us some suggestions about which apartments are good? Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 02:43 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qujiatian View Post
I really appreciate this forum and people who are posting information here. We are moving to Pittsburgh. My husband is going to work at Presbyterian Hospital. My son is going to high school soon. We are looking for a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment at Me Lebanon, Upper St. Calir or North Allegheny. But when we look for apartments on line, they would not tell us which school districts they are located. The school district is not by zip code either. We are confused. If anybody had lived in those areas, would you please give us some suggestions about which apartments are good? Thank you so much.
If he is working at Presby, I suggest something in the Fox Chapel School District. Much better commute. Not sure what you are looking for, but if you are renting, I would contact Fox Chapel Real Estate. All the schools you mentioned by the way are very good and Fox Chapel is right with them. Several of my son's friends are going Ivy League.

If he is working at Presby, he is probably working a ton of hours anyway. Might as well have a much better commute so you can see him sometimes at least.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:01 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Apartments are trickier, this is true. The real estate listings online are pretty good about telling you the school district and municipality, but go out to N. Allegheny area especially and you'll get all kinds of confusing address/zip code/municipality boundaries. Municipal boundaries do not match zip code boundaries, and what it says on the mailing address doesn't necessarily match the municipality. What municipality it's in determines the school district. Wexford and Warrendale are not municipalities in N. Allegheny.

I agree that Fox Chapel would be a better commute, although I don't know the rentals over there much. Unless there's something particular you are looking for that is only in N. Allegheny, USC or Mt Lebo, can't think of anything that would be, those spots are farther away. Fox Chapel or Hampton might be good.

Do you have a max price range for the 2 or 3 BR or is that not the big issue? If you have a couple of apartments you've found appealing you could post those and we may be able to determine which municipality/school district they're in.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:30 PM
gg

I love Mt. Lebo and could live there in a NY second. I could easily live in Sewickley. Point Breeze, Shadyside and Squirrel Hill would be great! Regent Square and Highland Park, no problem. The thing is you have a kid going to high school and you have a husband working at Presby. Hmmm, that adds to your search criteria IMHO. Fox Chapel Schools would be my first choice and I agree, Hampton would be my second. FC has lots of kids coming and going because they seem to have a lot of international kids. That might be a good thing for a new freshman. There are those riverfront places in O'Hara on Old Freeport Road that might be cool. I don't know enough about them. There are rentals in the district all around. Hampton has them as well. I suggest you have a look. Why have a horrible commute if you don't need to? North Hills would be my 4th or 5th choice. South Hills? I love Mt. Lebo, but wouldn't live there because that commute wouldn't be very fun.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:44 PM

Thank you so much for your quick responses and very precious information. My husband decided to try those three school districts only. He thinks he would have to go to hospital before 7 AM and goes back home pretty late. The traffic would be less problem. He thinks his son would benefit more from those school districts even though nobody knows by how much. It is not something you can measure anyway.

I am going to list some apartments and please let me know which school districts they are located. That would be extremely helpful.

By the way, we are looking for a 2-bedroom apartment (3 if the price is reasonable). The price range is between $1000-2000. My husband is a resident and not making a lot of money.

Thank you again. Talk to you later.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:48 PM

783 posts, read 2,021,320 times
Quote:
Thank you so much for your quick responses and very precious information. My husband decided to try those three school districts only. He thinks he would have to go to hospital before 7 AM and goes back home pretty late. The traffic would be less problem. He thinks his son would benefit more from those school districts even though nobody knows by how much. It is not something you can measure anyway.

I am going to list some apartments and please let me know which school districts they are located. That would be extremely helpful.

By the way, we are looking for a 2-bedroom apartment (3 if the price is reasonable). The price range is between $1000-2000. My husband is a resident and not making a lot of money.

I think you may want to do some more research. Your budget of $1,000 - $2,000 for a 2BR apt in those areas seems pretty ridiculous. You could honestly rent a nice 4BR house in USC for less than $2k. Hell, you could BUY a house and the mortgage would be way less than that. Only a select few, very new and high school apt complexes, would have 2BR apts over $1k. There are a few in Cranberry and a couple other areas, but I don't think you're going to find an apt for that price in the areas you're looking for. Have you considered a townhome? You can certainly find a 2BR/3BR townhome for that price and you would have many more options available for you.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:50 PM
gg

Quote:

You are making a mistake, but it is your life. Judging by what your wrote, I suspect you are Asian. Go to the Fox Chapel School District and you will be in good company.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:03 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,852,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
You are making a mistake, but it is your life. Judging by what your wrote, I suspect you are Asian. Go to the Fox Chapel School District and you will be in good company.
? Wha...?
Unless you have a crystal ball, how can you be so absolute about the OP's decision being a mistake? The OP sounds level-headed enough and recognizes the reality that no school district out there can promise certain results for every child.I also know that if hubby is leaving the house at 6am that you can live just about anywhere and not be concerned about traffic. I know because I work that schedule most of the time.
Also, just because I am white doesn't mean it's an automatic given that I will be in good company of any group of white Americans anywhere. There are many times I enjoy the company of a group of black Americans, Asians or people who are from other countries and find I have more in common and share the same values with than other Caucasian Americans.

HC-you usually give sound,good advice and I've always agreed with many points you have made in so many of your posts that you have made in the past, but the response you have given in this particular post is just wrong on so many levels.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:56 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondee View Post
HC-you usually give sound,good advice and I've always agreed with many points you have made in so many of your posts that you have made in the past, but the response you have given in this particular post is just wrong on so many levels.
Yeah, I had too many last night. Hope this was my only post. OP, move where you like and disregard my last post.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:37 AM

Thanks for the advice. We are Asian. You made the point even though it is harsh. WE live in east coast now, which is like living in Asian countries. We are afraid of moving to other less culture-diversified cities. In your opinoin, which areas in Pittsburgh have more Asian people? Also thank rhondee for your very positive perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh