Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 10:19 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,627,786 times

Advertisements

Maybe we'll see palm trees and cacti.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 10:20 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
The magnolia didn't seem that new up here to me. Maybe since 50 years ago, but not since 10 or 20 that I know of. Plenty of mature-seeming ones near my house. Personally not a tree I care for.
I only know of some planted close to the city proper. There the trees seem to do very well. I really like the Edith Bogue with the large leaves and the nice flowers. Then it gets a beautiful red seed pod hanging. I find them very interesting and nice. Hoping to plant one soon, but it will be next Spring. Too late this year, I think.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:40 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,852,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
What I always find interesting when people talk about global warming, is that so many people don't believe in it. I mean, how much evidence is really needed? Polar ice caps melting and pictures from space showing it, isn't enough? Water temperatures warming isn't enough? Graphs showing the the average temperature is increasing? Then some goofball will say, last year was cold and NASA doesn't know what they are talking about? There is a warming trend. Many feel man is a part cause. It seems logical, but it is hard to prove to most people. Personally, I think it is a natural occurrence with man being part to blame on top of the natural warming process. Therefore, we are in a double whammy situation. It just seems to be happening too fast for it to only be nature at work. Hard to say though. I just figure if man is causing some of it, we probably should at least try and change our ways a little. What if man is the main cause and we do nothing at all? Seems to be a pretty selfish existence, but we all have to live with ourselves.
Right On HC!!! I believe the causative factor of global warming can be debated and we may not know the exact factor(s) that are responsible but the effects are very real and are able to be proven, nonetheless.

Some people just don't want to face it b/c they are afraid of having to make hard sacrificial life style changes. They do not want to give up their huge SUVs, etc.
I saw one news story about a woman that wants to fight a new ordinance outlawing the use of incandescent light bulbs. She said that they cast an " unflattering " light inside her home or some BS like that.
These people have such an overbearing "me" mentality that is very hard to understand.I think its along the lines of a personality disorder, and really could be categorized as a sociopathical trait.So,if its 100 degrees out and every one is being as conservative with power consumption as much as possible, this B--ch will have all her incandescent lights on in the house that will push the neighborhood into a blackout!
Its sad, but some people are like that.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
LOL The attack of the kudzu..the silent smotherer that's marching towards da burgh!

Scarier than the zombies in Sewickley! Able to leap the PNC building in a single bound! Beware before it eats you in your sleep!!!!
LOL!!! It does look creepy and like that it could just reach out and grab ya!This would be good material for Stephen King!

Old 06-10-2011, 12:01 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondee View Post
Right On HC!!! I believe the causative factor of global warming can be debated and we may not know the exact factor(s) that are responsible but the effects are very real and are able to be proven, nonetheless.

Some people just don't want to face it b/c they are afraid of having to make hard sacrificial life style changes. They do not want to give up their huge SUVs, etc.
I saw one news story about a woman that wants to fight a new ordinance outlawing the use of incandescent light bulbs. She said that they cast an " unflattering " light inside her home or some BS like that.
These people have such an overbearing "me" mentality that is very hard to understand.I think its along the lines of a personality disorder, and really could be categorized as a sociopathical trait.So,if its 100 degrees out and every one is being as conservative with power consumption as much as possible, this B--ch will have all her incandescent lights on in the house that will push the neighborhood into a blackout!
Its sad, but some people are like that.
Not as bad though as the hypocrites such as mr. gore that preach to everyone about being green, global warming, etc. & then hop on their private jet that spews put more toxins than a normal person can ever dream of producing

Old 06-10-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Not as bad though as the hypocrites such as mr. gore that preach to everyone about being green, global warming, etc. & then hop on their private jet that spews put more toxins than a normal person can ever dream of producing
Yep-they are just as bad. They don't practise what they preach or it could be that they have the "it's OK for me to be wasteful but not OK for you" sense of self entitlement.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:26 PM

4,361 posts, read 6,528,616 times
I'm all for Global Warming....

YouTube - ‪If We Had Some Global Warming‬‏

Old 06-10-2011, 12:42 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,129,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Maybe I should bring some up here and plant a little patch. Might not have to mow my lawn in a couple of weeks when it takes over. I just would have nightmares that I couldn't get out of my home because it attacked it while I was sleeping.
I live in kudzu country, Atlanta. Eh...we're fine. Sort of like the "Killer Bee" scare.

Kudzu
Killer Bees
Climate Change
Coyotes
Communists

Never liked words with the hard "c" or "k" sound.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:43 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,129,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
And he lives in a mansion that uses more energy in a month than I use in a year.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:50 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
The question is: Is this due to weather changes? Or is it due to the plant being bred to now withstand colder winters?
Possibly it's a little of both. Although it might not be too surprising for some of the coastal areas of NJ to be in the same zone as places farther south.

It's really interesting to consider the climate change effect on what we can plant. I still think the warming has a bigger effect on other things, like weather. How long of a time period are you considering between this change? I don't see how a decade or two would be enough to change much about which plants could thrive. The last 50 or 60 years? Perhaps, although it seems odd to me.

You never really know with plants. We have some things in pots that are considered annual in this zone. And not just marginal, these are like annual unless zone 8 or 9. Some of them will overwinter just fine in the garage. There are some windows in the garage doors, but it faces north, heh, and no other windows because the side and back are mostly underground. So it doesn't get much light, I try to give them a bit of water now and then, and we have some plants that are on their third, maybe fourth season for some. And some different ones don't typically make it and we get something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh