Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 08:31 AM

10,220 posts, read 16,734,236 times

Advertisements

Passenger traffic up at Pittsburgh International - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 08:34 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,685,877 times
Nice to see Southwest eating United's non-stop Denver flights for lunch. I've wasted so much extra money going out there over the years because they had a monopoly on that route. GIT EM!

Old 08-11-2011, 08:47 AM

14,169 posts, read 22,596,535 times
I bet the PIT/DFW route is doing well these days.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:50 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,852,741 times
I wish PIT could get some spillover from the crowded delayed prone East Coast Corridor....

Old 08-11-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I bet the PIT/DFW route is doing well these days.
Quote:
[LEFT]American Airlines started using larger aircraft on its Dallas-Ft. Worth route, contributing to a year-to-year increase of 11,998 passengers, or 27.8 percent

Read more: Passenger traffic up at Pittsburgh International - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review Passenger traffic up at Pittsburgh International - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

BB-I don't see how..barring a new high speed train connecting PIT to the east coast, geography is working against it. it's just too far, you're better off flying out of a delay prone airport in NY. besides, the numbers aren't any better than BWI I don't think.
[/LEFT]

Old 08-11-2011, 09:57 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,877,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
I wish PIT could get some spillover from the crowded delayed prone East Coast Corridor....
As I recall the airport made a pitch like that to the FAA. Basically they want some connecting traffic diverted their way.

Edit:

Here is the story I was remembering:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11043/1124996-147.stm

It seems goofy, but on the other hand it is going to cost a LOT of public money to expand airport capacity on the East Coast, and the current conditions are very costly in total economic terms. So I do wonder if there is a way to make this work as a partial but cheaper alternative to East Coast airport expansion.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
As I recall the airport made a pitch like that to the FAA. Basically they want some connecting traffic diverted their way.

Edit:

Here is the story I was remembering:

Airport here desires overflow from East Coast

It seems goofy, but on the other hand it is going to cost a LOT of public money to expand airport capacity on the East Coast, and the current conditions are very costly in total economic terms. So I do wonder if there is a way to make this work as a partial but cheaper alternative to East Coast airport expansion.
even in that article it's obvious there are skeptics. as I understand it, there's nothing stopping airlines from doing this now...and a whole other group, including some former airline execs, want ground transportation to handle a larger share of short range flights. Atlantic city and harrisburg have also unsuccessfully been trying to cash in on congested airport. still others claim the FAA itself is a large part of the problem. honestly, it would be great for PIT and pittsburgh but I'm skeptical that it will happen.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:26 AM

14,169 posts, read 22,596,535 times
Just as I suspected: the PIT/DFW flight has become the Gassh*le Express.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:00 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,877,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
as I understand it, there's nothing stopping airlines from doing this now...
Correct, at least as far as I know. So if there is a story to be told here, it likely has to be something about the existing subsidy structure distorting their incentives in an inefficient way.

I don't really know enough details to opine with conviction on that subject, but it doesn't strike me as implausible either. I guess the next step would be to see if we could find their white paper for the FAA.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Correct, at least as far as I know. So if there is a story to be told here, it likely has to be something about the existing subsidy structure distorting their incentives in an inefficient way.
I don't really know enough details to opine with conviction on that subject, but it doesn't strike me as implausible either. I guess the next step would be to see if we could find their white paper for the FAA.
there are a lot of screwy things in transportation. under Bush the FAA proposed to charge per plane rather than per seat to account for what they correctly saw as a commerical airline bias (specifically, the charter and corporate jets paid little to nothing even though they took the same amount of work as a southwest jet)...that seemed to go nowhere. that said, I'm not sure the move away from PIT was a result of subsidy but rather a shift in the market away from the old hub and spoke regulated system. I'd guess that the mix of strong O/D and geographical advantages of the east coast airports are worth dealing with the othe headaches. Of course, buried in there, is the fact that a large chunk of the PHL overhaul is on things that are nice but perhaps not necessary..like a monorail. from the FAA's perspective, it may make little sense to fund the commuter improvements (also a big chunk of the improvement package) though it would likely still make sense for the airport and city. not least is that each mode is viewed by separate departments rather than as a transportation market. the FAA, STB, FRA, and various DMV's, etc. geographically, a limited amount of feeder flights from the west connecting to transatlantic flights in pittsburgh might make sense...especially if, for example, there is existing traffic on denver, LA, and seattle flights (for example). not that I don't think the existing subsidy structure doesn't play a factor but it's all over the place. look at EAS, who complains about that, but it often costs in triple digits per passenger, yet none of the people yelping about spending $10 per passenger on rail have targeted those services. harrisburg dumped millions into their terminal, money that probably would have been better spent on the keystone corridor connecting harrisburg to existing big city airports and eliminating the need for short haul flights...ye the money all comes from different pots and has different constituencies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh