Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2012, 12:08 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,540,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Actually, he said it was shorter in time and money. About $200. He wants to leave in the AM and come back in the PM. I told him to check Cleveland. PIT is about useless these days.
Well at some point you have to weigh your desired departure times vs the travel time. You need to know the net time, and that includes the driving if you're driving to CLE or IAD or wherever. I've always taken all that into consideration, price vs trip time vs time of day. Sometimes it's better to let go of the time of day in favor of the shorter travel time because you just don't gain enough. And sometimes it's better to drive the whole way because you don't gain enough. 6 hour net travel time (and presumably that's not including getting to the airport 1.5 hours before flight, etc) vs 14, I'd start to think about it. I already do that with Boston at about 10 hours driving even though that's an easy nonstop. The whole airport setup still means around 4 hours of crap and hassle vs 10 hours of easy drive.

I had to drive to CLE or CMH many times in the hub years if I wanted to travel at the last minute because I couldn't afford to do that from PIT. At least I don't have to do that now.

Jacksonville is the sticks anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 12:40 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,777,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
We once tried flying out of Cleveland instead (not for convenience, but to save a little money). We nearly killed ourselves driving back--I concluded it is not a good idea to try to drive several hours immediately after a long international flight with a time change.
Cleveland, "several hours"? I don't want to be stuck behind you on some road I cannot pass.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:40 PM

10,220 posts, read 16,729,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
I think it was 8.2 million last year, which was up over the prior year. All the passengers at Pittsburgh are now O&D passengers with their origin or destination here. I saw on the Charlotte forum that only 20% of their passengers are O&D and 80% are simply transfering, much like PIT used to be. They are a little nervous about a possible USAir merger with Delta, which would eliminate them as a hub as well.
without a doubt USAir might have moved all its operations to charlotte if it wasn't for the fact charlotte is 20% OD while PH is about 60% OD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
Ironically, Pittsburgh's economy is better now than when it was a hub, and Charlotte's is doing terrible and it is a hub. Not that there's any correlation at all, just interesting to note.
I think Pittsburgh would be better off with those jobs since the city was probably doing better already since it was able to overcome those job losses to begin with. that said, it is a fickle business, charlotte is always going to have to look over its shoulder because it's OD traffic doesn't justify that level of service. I don't get hcurtis, PIT isn't in decline, it's already declined, if anything, it's on the way back up...the problem is only that too much money was spent trying to be hub...and you can't turn back time, you can't bring back the PRR and you can't make the airline industry start creating new hubs again.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:43 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,871,363 times
Quote:
Cleveland, "several hours"?
Dulles is several hours.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:45 PM

1,519 posts, read 2,661,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Jacksonville is the sticks anyway.
Word.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:53 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Dulles is several hours.
Keeping in mind, last time I flew to Europe I didn't make my flight out of Dulles, so it cost me more than 24 hours. I will drive to a real airport for big trips. I just keep hoping Spirit will takeoff out of Latrobe! That would be great!

Old 02-16-2012, 01:25 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,685,344 times
Although PIT has seen better days, saying that it's not a "real airport" is a bit harsh.

Even though if I could fly to Germany directly that would be pretty awesome.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:30 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Although PIT has seen better days, saying that it's not a "real airport" is a bit harsh.

Even though if I could fly to Germany directly that would be pretty awesome.
I don't expect our rinky dink airport to fly to Europe much, but to offer nonstop flights to places would be nice. If people only knew what it was like to pick and choose the time of day you fly anywhere and not have to worry about layovers all over the place. It was great times. Guess I got spoiled rotten back then. Now you might as well drive most places. It is like living in Laramie Wyoming.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:36 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,797,669 times
Having been stuck in Copenhagen an extra day (how awful!) due to Hurricane Irene, it doesn't matter how any particular flight itinerary is set up, there's always a change that something will get screwed up. A connection increases the likelihood some, but if you do enough research and provide enough extra cushion in your connection time, you'll generally come out all right. I once scheduled an 8-hour layover in LAX in order to virtually eliminate any chance of missing a flight to Australia. Try driving in Melbourne after 36 hours of travel time when it's the first time you've ever driven on the left. Driving from Cleveland to Pittsburgh when coming back from Europe is probably a lot easier.

In any case, PIT is a fine if slightly aged airport and, as BrianTH said, should have no problem accommodating whatever expansion any airline might see fit to add. Like Pittsburgh itself, the collapse has already happened, so there's only one way to go.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:38 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,797,669 times
Quote:
I just keep hoping Spirit will takeoff out of Latrobe! That would be great!
I have to point out it is a tad incongruous to describe PIT as "rinky-dink" but express excitement over the opportunities to fly Spirit out of Latrobe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh