Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2012, 01:47 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,877,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRefugee View Post
I have to point out it is a tad incongruous to describe PIT as "rinky-dink" but express excitement over the opportunities to fly Spirit out of Latrobe.
But it got your attention and elicited a response, so mission accomplished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 01:52 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,783,846 times
Quote:
I have to point out it is a tad incongruous to describe PIT as "rinky-dink" but express excitement over the opportunities to fly Spirit out of Latrobe.
I am a finance major and an investor-minded person. I believe in being cost effective. There is nothing about PIT that is cost effective and even if there was, there is NO convienence. No flights without layovers and high parking costs. Latrobe has free parking and nonstop flights to Fort Lauderdale. If Spirit can get a flight to LGA going or EWR, then I am in business. If they get a flight to TPA, I am no longer flying out of PIT for most travel and that would be awesome from a financial standpoint. PIT used to carry more than 20 million people and now it is around 8 million. If you multiplied the 8 million by two it still is only 16 million! Does that give perspective?

Ah well, at least it isn't the bottom. Hopefully some airline will make PIT a hub again. It sure would be great!

Old 02-16-2012, 02:11 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,798,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Good point.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:19 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Yes, mr. rah, rah no matter what anyone does, especially if taxes are being raised. This forum wasn't designed for a popularity contest, it was designed to discuss happenings in Pittsburgh. You look at 8 million people coming through PIT as some great thing. I view it as horrible, because I used the airport a ton of times when we were around 20 million. You weren't here and don't have the experience I have. Of course you will put some spin on it to make it look like all is better than ever NOW that you are in town. I have to clue you in, newbie, it isn't, but an increase is at least better than a decrease. I hope the growth continues, but right now PIT is a ghost town. Don't kid yourself. You don't have enough history in our city to know what it was like. All you see is some Wiki article, which you consider the gospel that says fares are lower when PIT isn't a hub. I lived it and don't buy it. I always flew cheaper when we were a hub and even it if would have been $40 more or whatever, it would be more than worth nonstop flights all over the place. 6 hours to Florida? Are you kidding me? I never had layovers when we had it good.

Believe what you like brian, but you are just here to promote your spending agenda that gets us nothing in return. I don't buy into it.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:20 PM
gg

Quote:
Good point.
Easy way out. I disagree with you, so I am trying for a reaction. That is convenient for you and really makes me laugh, so I guess it works out.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:26 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,693,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I am a finance major and an investor-minded person. I believe in being cost effective. There is nothing about PIT that is cost effective and even if there was, there is NO convienence. No flights without layovers and high parking costs. Latrobe has free parking and nonstop flights to Fort Lauderdale. If Spirit can get a flight to LGA going or EWR, then I am in business. If they get a flight to TPA, I am no longer flying out of PIT for most travel and that would be awesome from a financial standpoint. PIT used to carry more than 20 million people and now it is around 8 million. If you multiplied the 8 million by two it still is only 16 million! Does that give perspective?

Ah well, at least it isn't the bottom. Hopefully some airline will make PIT a hub again. It sure would be great!
PIT and other smaller metros will never be major hubs again unless there are major changes mandated by the FAA. Regulations basically forced companies to keep hubs spread out through the country. It didn't matter too much to the airlines as competition was also limited so prices were high. That allowed pilots to make $200k a year with a full pension. Once deregulation occurred all hell broke loose. Everyone raced to shift as many of their flights through top 10 airports as possible, as that was were the money was and apparently still is. US Air keeps saying that Pitt did not generate enough traffic locally, but I'd be curious to see what percentage of traffic is local to say Philly or JFK. My guess would be it was the same or less. Still 20% of 80 million people is better than 20% of 25 million.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:28 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
PIT and other smaller metros will never be major hubs again unless there are major changes mandated by the FAA. Regulations basically forced companies to keep hubs spread out through the country. It didn't matter too much to the airlines as competition was also limited so prices were high. That allowed pilots to make $200k a year with a full pension. Once deregulation occurred all hell broke loose. Everyone raced to shift as many of their flights through top 10 airports as possible, as that was were the money was and apparently still is. US Air keeps saying that Pitt did not generate enough traffic locally, but I'd be curious to see what percentage of traffic is local to say Philly or JFK. My guess would be it was the same or less. Still 20% of 80 million people is better than 20% of 25 million.
Charlotte?

Old 02-16-2012, 02:46 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,693,771 times
Quote:
Charlotte?
Charlotte's days are likely numbered. Though my guess is they get higher destination traffic than Pitt ever did or ever will. Pittsburgh is not a vacation destination, which will always hurt it.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:53 PM

1,519 posts, read 2,662,378 times
Quote:
I am a finance major and an investor-minded person. I believe in being cost effective. There is nothing about PIT that is cost effective and even if there was, there is NO convienence. No flights without layovers and high parking costs.
That's just pure comedy right there. No flights without layovers.

I guess finance majors don't need to be logical. Or deal in the physical realm at all.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:23 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,543,247 times
Yeah the exaggerated rantings really don't get the rest of us anything. I suppose they help h_curtis feel better somehow, or amuse him in some way.

Airport=useless
Downtown=dead

etc.

By these measures I expect to hear complaining about today's "flooding rains"....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh