Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2012, 01:28 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,797,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
that's exactly it, they were unable to compete with US Air on a number of short haul routes out of Philadelphia owing to "loyalty" which is largely drive by the mileage program (since no one actually likes US Air)..and US Air serves better destinations. personally, I've gotten a free trips to london and greece using my miles. those are places southwest couldn't offer, not even a trip to the carribean. Of course, like most others, I appreciated the vastly lower fares they brought to PHL and hoped there were enough other flyers to fill both flights, and I suppose there were, at lower fuel prices. that's why I think Brian's take isn't correct, it's oversimplified.

UPDATE: Lufthansa to Tighten Belt Further as Fuel Bill Rises - WSJ.com
We take similar approaches to choosing airlines; I prefer to stay away from Southwest because of where it CAN'T take me, and although their new FF scheme would allow for international flights on other airlines, the number of points required is very very large.

And there is the trouble with that sort of Southwest vs. US Airways competition. The competition drives down fares, but if people stick to one airline for loyalty reasons or the capacity just didn't allow for enough profit, the competition goes away and fares go back up. Use it or lose it.

Fuel costs are an enormous bugaboo for airlines and are part of why PIT doesn't make as viable a hub as it once did and why Paris may be the only transatlantic flight for a long time. Obviously FRA won't be in the cards unless it gets subsidized. I think only LHR could be a remote possibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 03:23 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,932,160 times
I miss airline regulation.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:50 PM

10,220 posts, read 16,729,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
why? prices were high then. perhaps you own stock in an airline and don't much appreciate the competition eating into your profits.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:56 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,693,226 times
Quote:
why? prices were high then. perhaps you own stock in an airline and don't much appreciate the competition eating into your profits.
Prices where high but that kept the riff-Raff out. Now flying is almost as bad as taking a greyhound bus.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
Prices where high but that kept the riff-Raff out. Now flying is almost as bad as taking a greyhound bus.
wow, I guess I should have seen the elitist angle coming.
I don't see what social value there is in keeping people of moderate income from travelling simply for a few snobs and racists can have the planes to themselves. transportation certainly could use a regulatory overhaul though. FRA regulations are still from the WWII era which inhibits their viability to compete effectively. OTOH, bus deregulation has resulted in revolutionary change, albeit over several decades...though I suspect old people aren't in on it

Old 08-02-2012, 05:45 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,693,226 times
Quote:
wow, I guess I should have seen the elitist angle coming.
I don't see what social value there is in keeping people of moderate income from travelling simply for a few snobs and racists can have the planes to themselves. transportation certainly could use a regulatory overhaul though. FRA regulations are still from the WWII era which inhibits their viability to compete effectively. OTOH, bus deregulation has resulted in revolutionary change, albeit over several decades...though I suspect old people aren't in on it
Yep. Try spending a six hour flight in a closed cabin next to some hobo who hadn't taken a bath or changed his clothes for a week. Then tell me who is elitist.

BTW, I love how you immediately jump to the conclusion that higher prices are equated to racism. Are only certain races able to afford higher fares? Now who is the one making racist conclusions?

Old 08-02-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Yep. Try spending a six hour flight in a closed cabin next to some hobo who hadn't taken a bath or changed his clothes for a week. Then tell me who is elitist.

BTW, I love how you immediately jump to the conclusion that higher prices are equated to racism. Are only certain races able to afford higher fares? Now who is the one making racist conclusions?
I fly and I've never sat next to a hobo that hasn't showered for a week on a flight so I'm guessing that isn't the norm. to say that wishing only wealthy people could fly is certainly elitist.

nice try on the racism bit, not biting, sorry. racism is the belief that someone is inherently inferior due to their race. i never said non-whites can't make more money, though statistically, they do make less. associating lower income with race might be stereotyping. I didnt mean to imply you were a racist though I believe racists do share your belief. the only time I've been really disgusted was sitting next to an Indian family in Italy. they STUNK! that was on a boat though. oh yeah, when some guy was smoking crack in a greyhound bathroom, that was interesting. haven't seen that on a plane but according to you, I soon will unless they reregulate!

Old 08-03-2012, 02:44 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,184,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
An interesting (if a bit lengthy), article here on the question of regulation: The Washington Monthly - The Magazine - Terminal Sickness

Old 08-04-2012, 09:55 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,777,749 times
Quote:
Nice catch, Velvet.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Nice catch, Velvet.
it's not racist genius (nor is it what I said)...not that facts ever get in your way. kind of funny how you're always bashing big government except when it means your ability to pay through the nose to get more direct flights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh