U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-13-2011, 10:59 AM

3,366 posts, read 3,054,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I guess even though Pittsburgh was founded by Scots, most have left. There is only a 7% population of Presbyterians around Pittsburgh these days. Not sure how many Episcopalians as a percentage? Seems Irish Catholic is the most popular and can support on Irish bar, well one that has Irish dance and is really Irish. Sure plenty of places say, "Irish Pub", but they aren't. One of my grips about Pittsburgh is there aren't any ethnic pubs around much. They may call them some ethnic name, but you walk in and a Steeler game is on. There was a place called the Bicycle Club or something like that and it was English. I don't think it made it. If you aren't a sports bar, you are pretty much sunk around here. I hate TV bars.

I think most of it has to do with the fact that a lot of Irish-Americans make being Irish their hobby. People of German, for example, decent really don't do that. There is a German Club on the North Side. I forget its name. I have friend that goes there for the buffet.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 11:11 AM

6 posts, read 5,640 times
Default brits moving to Pittsburgh - Beaver / Sewickley

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I brought up Beaver earlier. The big drawback to Beaver over Sewickley IMO is that it's so far from Pittsburgh when you want to do something in the city. Sewickley when there's not commuting traffic is about 20-25 minutes from downtown Pittsburgh. For Beaver you have to double that.

Sewickley and next door Osborne and Edgeworth boroughs have plenty of area where you can walk to and around town, although I can't say what the market is for rental of single family homes in those spots. Pricey for the Pittsburgh area, I'm guessing, if there are any available at all, but maybe not too pricey for the OP. I'd still look there first if it were me.
Thanks Greg42 - we'll check out Osborne and Edgeworth. You are right - we really need to be on the "right side" of Pittsburgh. We'll have a lot of family / friends visiting during the first year, so it would be wise to be accessible to the City for nights out etc.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:19 AM

20,274 posts, read 18,630,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
I think most of it has to do with the fact that a lot of Irish-Americans make being Irish their hobby. People of German, for example, decent really don't do that. There is a German Club on the North Side. I forget its name. I have friend that goes there for the buffet.
Germans did more of that when they first arrived--at one point in U.S. history there were lots of German clubs, German-language newspapers, and so on. But all that was already waning by the time we hit the world wars, which then really killed off the temptation for German-Americans to distinguish themselves too much.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamLT View Post
Thanks Greg42 - we'll check out Osborne and Edgeworth. You are right - we really need to be on the "right side" of Pittsburgh. We'll have a lot of family / friends visiting during the first year, so it would be wise to be accessible to the City for nights out etc.
Definitely search for information on Bellevue (and maybe Ben Avon and Avalon) as well. I'm not an expert on those areas personally, but there have been a bunch of posts on them over time here, and they would provide another option for you closer to the City but still towards Aliquippa.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:26 AM

3,134 posts, read 5,747,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
There was a place called the Bicycle Club or something like that and it was English.
The British Bicycle Club was in the 900 block of Penn Avenue downtown. I walked by when it was open and didn't see any bicycles.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:28 AM

6 posts, read 5,640 times
The amount of time us Brits spend in pubs is pretty ridiculous! We generally can't walk pass one without "popping in for a quick one".

My poor husband will miss his beloved pints...

Ah well (ha ha!).

Old 06-13-2011, 11:29 AM

1,324 posts, read 888,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
Teutonia Männerchor

Welcome to Teutonia Mannerchor

Also, FWIW, I believe Piper's usually has two hand pumped cask ales on tap. The selection varies depending on the day and availability.

a good resource:
Cask Ale in Pittsburgh

Old 06-13-2011, 11:55 AM

43,016 posts, read 49,419,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamLT View Post
The amount of time us Brits spend in pubs is pretty ridiculous! We generally can't walk pass one without "popping in for a quick one".

My poor husband will miss his beloved pints...

Ah well (ha ha!).
Do you think he (and you) will be able to adjust?

My old boss was British. He was always trying to drag us out drinking. We did NOT want to go. When work was over, the last thing we wanted was to continue hanging out with coworkers a minute longer. We wanted to get home with our real lives.

One time I declined (because my son had a boy scout dinner), and the following morning I was called into the office and given a lecture about how I was being antisocial because I didn't go to the bar after work. I wasn't the only one who received this lecture regularly.

Nobody wanted to go to the bar after work and he was always reprimanding us when we didn't. Anyone who did break down and go, quickly drank down one drink so they could catch the bus or train without being late getting home.

This went on for years. He never seemed to grasp that we would willing drink during work hours (many of us ordered soda or lemonade) but we had no intentions of socializing off the clock.

Sure, there is a percentage of Americans who live in bars, but they are not the norm. They are there because they have problems---either alcoholics or have no lives. Socializing in the pubs might be a daily event for the average Brit, but that's not the daily lifestyle of most Americans. Based on my experience, I think this is an important social difference for Brits to realize.

There are other things Brits (and the Scottish too) don't seem to understand about our work culture. They don't understand how we take our vacation a day here and a day there throughout the year. They think we're slacking---like we are constantly taking off work. Most Americans don't go on "holiday" all in one chunk of time. We can't even grasp the concept of being away from our jobs for an entire month. And we can't grasp waiting an entire year to take our time off either so we take a week here, a week there, a day here, a day there. They also don't seem to understand the legal distinction between "exempt" and "nonexempt" employees and treat "exempt" employees like "nonexempt" employees, which can put a company at serious legal risk that could cost the company a ton of money.

ETA, I'm not just basing this off of my experience but my friends and coworkers have also struggled with these cultural differences in the workplace since more American companies are being bought by European companies. It's like the second British invasion when American jobs are being replaced by the company sending Europeans over on work visas. You should be forwarned if you are relocating over here in a similar manner. Your coworkers are not going to appreciate another foreigner filling a vacant spot, especially a management position, if the company is foreign owned. If you are merely starting a new job you landed at an American owned company, you won't experience resentment.

Last edited by Hopes; 06-13-2011 at 12:12 PM..

Old 06-13-2011, 11:56 AM

Neighborhood bars are still a big deal in Pittsburgh. They are not quite the same as pubs, but there is no reason to go thirsty.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:20 PM

1,324 posts, read 888,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Sure, there is a percentage of Americans who live in bars, but they are not the norm. They are there because they have problems---either alcoholics or have no lives. Socializing in the pubs might be a daily event for the average Brit, but that's not the daily lifestyle of most Americans. Based on my experience, I think this is an important social difference for Brits to realize.
I think we live in two separate Americas; you're in the sanctimonious one.

It must be truly awful to have a Boss who wanted the office to go to Happy Hour together. It's been my experience that much can be learned and accomplished during these "sessions" after work. I would guess that you did yourself a tremendous disservice, career-wise if nothing else, by not attending.

-"All Nations Welcome, except Carrie"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh