Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 11:42 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
I think we live in two separate Americas; you're in the sanctimonious one.
I was talking about the bar flies, the people who literally live at the bar, go everyday. That's not the norm in the population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
It must be truly awful to have a Boss who wanted the office to go to Happy Hour together. It's been my experience that much can be learned and accomplished during these "sessions" after work. I would guess that you did yourself a tremendous disservice, career-wise if nothing else, by not attending.
NOBODY ever wanted to go! We'd all bow out as often as we could. We'd force ourselves on occasision when we could work it into our schedules. I have every right to attend my son's award dinner just as my coworkers had every right to attend to whatever personal committments they had. His behavior was extremely inappropriate.

Nobody's career was jeapardized because the company only promotes British employees. Only. Always. The company has become a joke. The turnover is unbelievable. It wasn't like that when it was American owned. No American employee views it as anything but a temporary pit stop, looking to get out as fast as they can and many of us did just that. The very few who remain keep us up on the latest. We all were and still are very close friends. We just didn't want to hang out with HIM at times he DICTATED. When you get down to it, he must have been a very lonely man, but I have no pity for him. If he hadn't used his authority to pressure people to socialize with him, he might have made some friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 11:45 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Sounds like a bad situation, but I wouldn't assume all Brits are like that.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:52 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Sounds like a bad situation, but I wouldn't assume all Brits are like that.
I'm not saying they all are. Her post about inspired me to share.

The other work related info about vacation and exempt/nonexempt status is relevant for any European coming to the US. I've noticed it most with the British and the Scottish. I'm sure people from other European countries have trouble adjusting to those differences too. It goes both ways. Just as they think we're odd in how we take vacation, Americans thinks it's very odd to take such huge chunks of time all at once.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:58 AM

780 posts, read 1,384,950 times
Getting way off topic, but the Spaniards enjoy a long 2-3 hr lunch with many libations included and think nothing of getting right back to work and staying until the late evening.

I know for a fact not all Brits are like your portrayal Hopes as I have worked with and am currently working with many from London and Derby.

Work cultures definitely vary but it isn't a bad thing.

"POET" day on Friday is a nice one that I try to integrate into my work week as much as possible.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:17 PM

6 posts, read 9,820 times
Thanks again for all the really useful info guys - I've certainly plenty to research!

Have a great week all!

Old 06-14-2011, 07:33 AM

354 posts, read 475,725 times
Since walk-able and beer seem to be a common theme in this thread, it should be pointed out that Bellevue is a dry town. Walk to the store and restaurants yes, the pub - no.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:53 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faer View Post
Since walk-able and beer seem to be a common theme in this thread, it should be pointed out that Bellevue is a dry town. Walk to the store and restaurants yes, the pub - no.
True, but it is easy to get from Bellevue to places where beer flows freely.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:20 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
Quote:
True, but it is easy to get from Bellevue to places where beer flows freely.
Not likely, at least not without driving drunk or having a designated driver. Unless there are sections of Bellevue where you could easily walk to neighboring borough's bars?

Old 06-14-2011, 08:36 AM

23 posts, read 42,098 times
I agree with Hopes, I was pressured to go out after work by my boss, even though I had no sitter and my husband was out of town, she was a young single banker...she insisted that I go, I quit. I don't need the money that.... bad. I was not about to leave my child at home, alone.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:55 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,085,704 times
Quote:
I think about 3000 people live in the walkable section.

I agree about not limiting the choices, but if the OP and her husband like Sewickley, that does seem to imply one of the older boroughs along the river would be a good bet.

Edgeworth and Osborne are both on either side of and Walkable to Sewickley, so I would say it is closer to 5500 people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh