Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 08:41 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,967,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post

Moon Twp. and Robinson would have more things for you to do...
Can you explain to me what would be more things to do than enjoy a town that you can actually walk to all kinds of restaurants and stores? Are you thinking that driving a car around Robinson Town Center is a substitute? Sure I love Ikea, but for lifestyle I don't think Moon or Robinson are very enjoyable unless you like big chain restaurants and no sidewalks to enjoy things on foot. Correct me if I am wrong because I am interested in learning more about Moon and Robinson. I only know the shopping district in Robinson, which is huge and I do like it, but it isn't something I would go to unless I needed something at one of the giant stores. I wouldn't go there to hang out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 08:52 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,687,119 times
How big is the walkable part of Sewickley, and how many people actually live there? Aren't most of the neighborhoods up on the hill, and require driving to town? I think she would find more Gyms, and activities near Moon, or Robinson.

I also wouldn't limit a person on choices. I like to present them all. It seems like everybody is pigeon holing them into Sewickley based on the simple fact that her husband drove through it one time.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:17 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
I think about 3000 people live in the walkable section.

I agree about not limiting the choices, but if the OP and her husband like Sewickley, that does seem to imply one of the older boroughs along the river would be a good bet.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:28 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,687,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
If the OP and her husband like Sewickley, that does seem to imply one of the older boroughs along the river would be a good bet.
I can agree with that. That would also bring the town of Beaver into play. It has a larger residential area that is all flat, and walkable. My kid is currently renting a 3 bedroom, 2 bath house near the Beaver library for $600 a month. She has been walking through the entire town, and will hate to leave when she starts law school.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:29 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
How big is the walkable part of Sewickley, and how many people actually live there? Aren't most of the neighborhoods up on the hill, and require driving to town? I think she would find more Gyms, and activities near Moon, or Robinson.

I also wouldn't limit a person on choices. I like to present them all. It seems like everybody is pigeon holing them into Sewickley based on the simple fact that her husband drove through it one time.
If you live in Sewickley you can walk to a very nice YMCA. I am a little bias, because I really love Sewickley and it is a town you could just enjoy on foot without dealing with the traffic and stressful congestion of a place like Robinson Town Center. I can see going to RTC for things sometimes, but I would hate that to be where I shop all the time. Just a different style. Would love to walk to a liquor store to get wine instead of driving to one. Glad I can do that now. More fun to walk to a cafe than drive. I can have a couple of drinks and walk home on a side walk 90+% of the walk. In Sewickley it would most likely be 100% of the walk. It just is a nice low stress lifestyle that so many miss out on living in these planned places with no sidewalks and no walkability. I don't think I would want to have to get in the car everyday to get everything, but it is a lifestyle to leave the car in the garage most of the time. If people only knew how low the stress becomes if they don't have to deal with all the others in cars everyday. You do get spoiled.

I have no idea what the Brits want. All I can do is paint a picture of what I think to be a good fit. They may much prefer a more country setting that requires driving to get some eggs? Not sure.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:54 AM

6 posts, read 9,809 times
Hi all!

Thanks so much for all your help.

South Range Family - yes, Cambridge is certainly different! It's over 800 years old, lots of restaurants / bars in walking distance, and of course, the newly appointed Duke and Duchess of Cambridge aka Prince Wills and Kate M! (not that we're bothered about that..!). Downside is, Cambridge town is very expensive - you get little property for your money, and you can forget about parking..! So I'm quite looking forward to swapping my Mini Cooper for a great big SUV!

You are right - Sewickley was just a place my husband happened to drive through, so we certainly want to check out plenty of areas (but not Aliquippa - we're just commuting there!).

H_Curtis - Sewickley does sound lovely though, and does seem to share commonalities with Cambridge. Cambridge is very laid back and you can walk everywhere. We're a bit spoilt though as we have two gorgeous pubs 5 minutes walk from us (one overlooks the river). Oh yes, we Brits do love a pub..!

Not sure about the YMCA but perhaps that because the YMCA has a different meaning over here (!), so forgive me if I'm wrong! I guess I'm after somewhere more along the lines of a Club or LA Fitness type place. I do lots of Body Step / Body Combat /Body Attack / Body Pump type classes - think you guys have the same, but possibly only in Pittsburgh City? I spend a lot of time at my gym here (it's how I met a lot of friends),so I'm prepared to pay for a really good one.

So we have Sewickley, Beaver,Moon and Robinson to investigate. If anyone on here lives in Bellevue or knows anything about it, info would be great?

We're hoping to come across in July for a week to check various places out - all the help you have provided has been excellent!

Thanks guys - scared but excited about starting somewhere new, but if everyone if as helpful and friendly as you all have been, we'll be fine!

Now my next challenge will be learning to drive on the wrong (I mean right!), side of the road.. Thank goodness you don't have roundabouts like we do...!

Thanks all, and have a great week :-)

Old 06-12-2011, 12:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Actually, if the DH Is working in Aliquippa, you'd have most of Beaver County to consider. I'd not rule anything out until you see it. I agree that Beaver is a most pleasant town.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:36 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Actually, if the DH Is working in Aliquippa, you'd have most of Beaver County to consider. I'd not rule anything out until you see it. I agree that Beaver is a most pleasant town.
Hmm, they are from a European country. I wouldn't want them to experience too much culture shock. Sure Beaver is nice, but to be from a nice little place in Europe, I think Sewickley would be a bit easier of an adjustment because there will be more international people roaming the streets.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:19 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Hmm, they are from a European country. I wouldn't want them to experience too much culture shock. Sure Beaver is nice, but to be from a nice little place in Europe, I think Sewickley would be a bit easier of an adjustment because there will be more international people roaming the streets.
Beaver:
Foreign born population: 65 (1.4%)
(80.0% of them are naturalized citizens)

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/housing/hou...#ixzz1P5vElnnA

9% are from the UK (about 6 people)

Sewickley:
Foreign born population: 185 (4.7%)
(63.2% of them are naturalized citizens)

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/housing/hou...#ixzz1P5vrXzzD

16% are from the UK (about 30 people)

So yes, a few more international residents.

I have known a lot of people from the UK, one thing most like is a downtown that is walkable. Both Beaver and Sewickley have that. Beaver is a little bigger.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:39 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,651,584 times
I brought up Beaver earlier. The big drawback to Beaver over Sewickley IMO is that it's so far from Pittsburgh when you want to do something in the city. Sewickley when there's not commuting traffic is about 20-25 minutes from downtown Pittsburgh. For Beaver you have to double that.

Sewickley and next door Osborne and Edgeworth boroughs have plenty of area where you can walk to and around town, although I can't say what the market is for rental of single family homes in those spots. Pricey for the Pittsburgh area, I'm guessing, if there are any available at all, but maybe not too pricey for the OP. I'd still look there first if it were me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh