U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 07:31 PM

3,884 posts, read 3,553,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
I think the single sex school concept is worthwhile to try.

Its worked fine over the years for Central and St. Paul's Cathedral and other schools as well.

Some of the city schools have real problems with achievement, and eliminating some of the distractions could help a lot of these students regain focus.
Well, the gay students will still have plenty of distractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 07:58 PM

6,245 posts, read 3,595,489 times
A $2 million bid for a $35 million conversion to apartments? Pitt and CMU are passing up a dorm building on the cheap.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:39 AM

13,169 posts, read 4,508,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I think Schenley is close to Pitt? Pitt could make the best use of it and keep it as an academic building....as long as they promise not to demolish it.
I always thought Pitt was behind the scenes in trying to acquire Schenley in the first place

Old 10-21-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Ha, ha, ha. Rookies. People fall for this same old stuff all the time. One would think people would catch on.

Here is the real story. PPS wanted to get rid of that building and ship the kids into another. People in the Hill wanted to save Schenley. The powerful people told everyone, hey the school is falling apart and the kids are breathing in asbestos. You know the plaster if falling. Please! Anyone who has half a brain knows to fix asbestos you encapsulate it. Cheap and easy, with paint. I don't even know if there really is asbestos. It wouldn't surprise me if there was one pipe in the building that had an asbestos wrap on it and they reported it in a way to suit their needs.

Bottom line, the Hill District lost out as everyone knew they would and Schenley which has been there a long time and is an awesome structure is no more. The vote WAS CLOSE however. 4-5. Of course the 4 that wanted to keep the school certainly wanted the kids to keep breathing asbestos. ha ha ha. Are people really this gullible?

I can't stop laughing at the people that keep falling for this stuff over and over again. Same thing with the Civic Arena. People think it is going to fall down or something. Yeah right.
You are absolutely right My father graduated from Schenley 35', I graduated from Schenley 82' and my son graduated from Schenley 08' and if there was so much asbestos now, would'nt that mean that it was there when I was there also? Maybe the classes from the 1980s up to the present should start a lawsuit if any of us develops cancer from the "alleged" asbestos.

P.S I wonder if those 5 who voted for it to stay got paid off?

Old 10-21-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrian12 View Post
the suburb schools are expanding, the city schools are downsizing. no one wants to sent there kids to school to get shot at
When was the last time there was a city school shooting? I think that I missed that one

Old 10-21-2011, 09:53 AM

20,274 posts, read 17,265,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
A $2 million bid for a $35 million conversion to apartments? Pitt and CMU are passing up a dorm building on the cheap.
Pitt's new ten-story, 559-bed dorm, with additional leasable retail space, is supposedly going to cost $59 million:

Pitt Board of Trustees

I suspect on a per-bed basis, a conversion of Schenley wouldn't be all that much cheaper, and it might well be the opposite. And its location would be considerably worse.

Last edited by BrianTH; 10-21-2011 at 10:03 AM..

Old 10-21-2011, 09:57 AM

20,274 posts, read 17,265,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
and if there was so much asbestos now, would'nt that mean that it was there when I was there also?
Yep, the asbestos was always there. However, if the fibers were locked into some other material, it wouldn't be a health risk. It is when that material starts degrading, or you disturb it for some reason, that you can have a problem.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Yep, the asbestos was always there. However, if the fibers were locked into some other material, it wouldn't be a health risk. It is when that material starts degrading, or you disturb it for some reason, that you can have a problem.
Do think that it cost millions to repair it? Could they have done it in stages?

Old 10-21-2011, 12:29 PM

482 posts, read 416,935 times
Not sure about the cost to repair asbestos, I would guess it depends on how the asbestos was used (ceiling tiles, pipe coverings, etc.). In my experience dealing with it, removal is usually the best option. Repairing it could make removal more difficult in the future.

Then again, removal requires a complete quarantine of the area so the fibers aren't floating around everywhere. When my old high school was renovated, they did the removal in stages so class wasn't disturbed.

Working in an industrial area, asbestos is a huge deal. Every pipe/insulation area that contains it is required to be marked and identified. Should one of those areas be hit or disturbed, the entire building is basically quarantined until it is removed or repaired. It's not fun stuff.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:59 PM

6,245 posts, read 3,595,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Pitt's new ten-story, 559-bed dorm, with additional leasable retail space, is supposedly going to cost $59 million:

Pitt Board of Trustees

I suspect on a per-bed basis, a conversion of Schenley wouldn't be all that much cheaper, and it might well be the opposite. And its location would be considerably worse.
Actually, I again looked over the estimates for asbestos removal or encapsulation. It should cost more to PMC Property Group to turn Schenley into apartments than $35 million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh