U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-04-2011, 12:25 AM

6,352 posts, read 3,603,602 times
I've never been to Ann Arbor, but Morgantown is a college town and a very nice place to live.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 11:55 AM

4,429 posts, read 2,828,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eDOT View Post
For those familiar with Ann Arbor, Farmington Hills and Northville, yes I love all these areas, Thats what Im looking for.
Farmington Hills has always been my number 1 choice of places I want to live. I love the subdivisions built into the rolling hills, rather than the sterotypical "cookie cutter" suburbs. I was raised completely "blue collar" lower working class, so Farmington Hills has always had that "I made it" aura about it, although its far from High class wealth, It is definately upper middle class. The neigborhoods are very well maintained and well landscaped, picture perfect lol.
Is Farmington Hills as Jewish as W. Bloomfield? If so, you might prefer Squirrel Hill, Shadyside or Point Breeze in the city of Pittsburgh. If you prefer a suburban school district, but still want a somewhat Jewish neighborhood, Mt. Lebanon would be choice #1. There are also plenty of Jewish people in Fox Chapel nowadays, but that's more of a schlep for work than these other neighborhoods.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:26 PM

30 posts, read 50,914 times
W.Bloomfield definately has a large Jewish community, I never really noticed the Farmington Hills area being over populated with a certain race, religion, ethnicity. Its got a great mix of people. I have no preference to living near or in any community. Just looking for great schools, safe area, nice small downtown that has art/street festivals, shopping, ect.

upon research, I think were very interested in the Sewickly area, some of which is out of my price range, but it seems to have that Farmington, Mi look and feel. Im figuring its probably 30-45min drive to McMurray????

Now all I have to do is find a house and a mortgage lender to accept Overtime/Bonus pay as part of my income. It makes up about 60+% of my annual income.

Thanx for all the advice and info everyone,
its truely appreciated.

Old 07-04-2011, 03:08 PM

1,437 posts, read 1,170,695 times
If you like Sewickley, make sure to check out Mount Lebanon with which it shares similarities (good schools, walkable town center) and is closer to your workplace and possibly budget as well.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:43 PM

30 posts, read 50,914 times
Ok... I am all over the place with the descision of where to relocate and raise my family, lol....

I still love what I have seen and read about the Sewickley area, and it seems as though Mt. Lebonan/Bethel Park/Upper St.Clair area is nice as well. But the more I read, the more I second guess myself of the battle between the City and the Suburbs. I also recently found a home that Im interested in, on Forest Dr in the Churchill Boro.

Luckily I should be visiting the area in a few weeks for work, Im going to try and cram a couple days worth of driving and scouting areas, untill then please keep the suggestions coming....

Old 07-14-2011, 04:02 PM

3,912 posts, read 2,446,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eDOT View Post
Ok... I am all over the place with the descision of where to relocate and raise my family, lol....

I still love what I have seen and read about the Sewickley area, and it seems as though Mt. Lebonan/Bethel Park/Upper St.Clair area is nice as well. But the more I read, the more I second guess myself of the battle between the City and the Suburbs. I also recently found a home that Im interested in, on Forest Dr in the Churchill Boro.

Luckily I should be visiting the area in a few weeks for work, Im going to try and cram a couple days worth of driving and scouting areas, untill then please keep the suggestions coming....

Churchill is a nice established community, but in a crappy school district, and you'd be looking at a 2 tunnel commute which would be a lot longer that points north, west, or south of Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh