U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-15-2011, 04:09 PM

4,307 posts, read 2,735,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I don't see how it is "in the way" in some absolute sense. I get that you need passages through it, and that it might be longer than necessary. But otherwise, there is a TON of space on the river side to develop, the main arteries and planned transit services can pass right by it, and as a result the recent Riverfront Vision planning process incorporated the Terminal without a problem.
It's so wide, it gives the appearance of being impenetrable. It might have worked at one time for having things delivered by train (and by boat?), but I guess that's not happening now. Anyway, as a pedestrian, having it in between me and whatever might someday lie behind it is at the very least, annoying. If you're ever going to bring people down to the water from Penn Avenue, you don't need this obstacle taking up three blocks of Smallman Street.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 04:11 PM

20,274 posts, read 17,245,616 times
Just a quick reminder of what the Allegheny Riverfront Vision plan for this area looks like:

"Before" picture for comparison:

Old 06-15-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
It's so wide, it gives the appearance of being impenetrable. It might have worked at one time for having things delivered by train (and by boat?), but I guess that's not happening now. Anyway, as a pedestrian, having it in between me and whatever might someday lie behind it is at the very least, annoying. If you're ever going to bring people down to the water from Penn Avenue, you don't need this obstacle taking up three blocks of Smallman Street.
If there is a pedestrian passageway once per block, it is no different for pedestrians than having a line of buildings along Smallman. For that matter, it is no different than the line of buildings they have planned for between the Terminal and the river.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
If there is a pedestrian passageway once per block, it is no different for pedestrians than having a line of buildings along Smallman. For that matter, it is no different than the line of buildings they have planned for between the Terminal and the river.
I don't feel the need to argue about this. I have my (admittedly unpopular around here) opinion, and I'm comfortable with that.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:13 PM

3,884 posts, read 3,546,591 times
The Produce Terminal is more interesting than any of the crackerjack architecture that will be placed down by the river...

Old 06-15-2011, 06:36 PM

25,848 posts, read 44,078,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
The Produce Terminal is more interesting than any of the crackerjack architecture that will be placed down by the river...
Mmmm...Crackerjack. That brings back fond memories of my mom taking me to Boscov's growing up when they had their Crackerjack specials! I've since graduated to Moose Munch, but with Harry & David potentially going out of business soon, alas, I may have to resort to making my OWN confectionary goodness!

Old 06-16-2011, 06:30 AM

878 posts, read 892,310 times
Quote:
I don't feel the need to argue about this. I have my (admittedly unpopular around here) opinion, and I'm comfortable with that.
I don't think anyone "arguing" with you. Your opinion is that the building is in the way, which is my opinion too. Wouldn't cutting pedestrian pathways through the building solve the problem?

I DO think the building is significant in its design much in the way the public market in Seattle is significant. People just aren't building these types of buildings anymore. Imagine the shipping platform functioning as a walkway with a railing installed on the side. The open bays could serve as storefronts for small shops or restaurants. I'm not sure what could be done with the rest of the space inside but I'm sure there could be some use. I would just hate to see this old building replaced with a row of cookie cutter brick buildings like the ones that were recently built on the north side.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlstreet View Post
I don't think anyone "arguing" with you. Your opinion is that the building is in the way, which is my opinion too. Wouldn't cutting pedestrian pathways through the building solve the problem?
Honestly, I don't know. Something I do know, though, is that I don't like walking through (what would essentially be) tunnels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlstreet View Post
I DO think the building is significant in its design much in the way the public market in Seattle is significant. People just aren't building these types of buildings anymore. Imagine the shipping platform functioning as a walkway with a railing installed on the side. The open bays could serve as storefronts for small shops or restaurants. I'm not sure what could be done with the rest of the space inside but I'm sure there could be some use. I would just hate to see this old building replaced with a row of cookie cutter brick buildings like the ones that were recently built on the north side.
Unless things have changed, Pike Place Market is easily accessible from the sidewalk on its east side (and via stairway from Western Avenue below on its west side). The building we're talking about in Pgh. sits however many feet above the sidewalk, such that you have to climb stairs to get to its doorways, and there's nothing visually inviting about it as there is in Seattle.

Maybe it could work as you describe, but in the 12 years I've lived here, I've never been inside the building, so I can't really say. I'll try and peek inside next time I'm in the Strip District. Who knows? Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it's not the obstacle I've always seen it as.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Something I do know, though, is that I don't like walking through (what would essentially be) tunnels.
If it is like other similar markethouse situations I have seen, they would be more like "arcades", with opportunities to enter or otherwise interact with the buildings along the passage.

Quote:
The building we're talking about in Pgh. sits however many feet above the sidewalk, such that you have to climb stairs to get to its doorways, and there's nothing visually inviting about it as there is in Seattle.
Here is how they rendered it in the Riverfront Vision plan:

They've got a sort of boardwalk along the terminal, with carved out bays at the streetlevel. Personally, I think that looks very cool, but that is a matter of taste.

Quote:
I'll try and peek inside next time I'm in the Strip District. Who knows? Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it's not the obstacle I've always seen it as.
I'd definitely check out the public market to get some sense of the potential.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:25 AM

Some random arcade pictures:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh