Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2012, 11:57 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,571,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
my hope is that (A) the legislature will add at least a bit more revenue than Corbett proposes to the transportation fund, even if not as much as Corbett's commission proposed; and (B) the legislature will at most make minor changes to the allocation of funds such that PAT gets most of its share of those revenue increases.

The good news is that there are some serious proposals in Harrisburg to increase both the fund and PAT's share of it:

Quote:
[HB 2112] will amend Act 44 of 2007 to shift the entirety of the $450 million annual payment made by PennDOT by the PA Turnpike into a mass transit fund. The money will be solely available for mass transit systems throughout the state.

The bad news is that these proposals don't stand a chance in hell - HB 2099 (which raises PennDot's revenue by raising various fees) and HB 2112 are both before the Transport Cmte, where they will surely be dealt the death of a thousand amendments. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

PA House Democrats Introduce Transportation Funding Reform Bills | Pennsylvania Walks and Bikes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
doesn't it make some sense to also be mad at the state for disproportionately distributing the transportation funds?
Does it? Not for it's own sake, certainly - unless you gain something from sterile anger. So what will we do with that anger?

Vote against Corbett and the Gen Ass Republicans? Allegheny Co already does that, by and large.

Write to your representatives? They probably already agree - and are outvoted.

So, what then? Sign a petition? Hire some buses and stomp around with placards in front of the Capitol? Plot a coup? A political assassination? The Whiskey Rebellion?

Old 01-26-2012, 12:05 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
Yeah, there is very little chance transit will actually do better in terms of share this round. I'm just hoping transit doesn't do too much worse.

In the future, though . . . the angry old drunks listening to talk radio are not going to control this state forever (that's part of what they are so angry about). And at some point, people in the Pittsburgh Metro will start realizing that we are no longer the Sick Man of Pennsylvania, and shouldn't be accepting whatever crumbs the state is willing to drop on us without question.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
the angry old drunks listening to talk radio are not going to control this state forever
I agree entirely - I even went so far as to predict a date above in this thread: 2025.

Not sure I'll still live here by then (or anywhere, for that matter). But if I do, I'll be very interested to see the results of the experiment: a large modern city attempting to exist without any transit system worth the name.

Something like a metropolitan version of the Khmer Rouge "Year Zero", I imagine.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:15 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
Vote against Corbett and the Gen Ass Republicans? Allegheny Co already does that, by and large.
Corbett actually won Allegheny County--barely, but still that is a huge haul of votes in comparison to Toomey, McCain, or so on.

Edit: Oh, and there are some state legislators in the Metro that writing to could be useful (not mine, admittedly, but others).

Old 01-26-2012, 12:15 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Yeah, there is very little chance transit will actually do better in terms of share this round. I'm just hoping transit doesn't do too much worse.

In the future, though . . . the angry old drunks listening to talk radio are not going to control this state forever (that's part of what they are so angry about). And at some point, people in the Pittsburgh Metro will start realizing that we are no longer the Sick Man of Pennsylvania, and shouldn't be accepting whatever crumbs the state is willing to drop on us without question.
Tell that to the people with children trying to operate a restaurant that couldn't come up with the extra 10 and now 7 percent to fund something they have nothing to do with. I hope you are a good salesperson, because I don't think you are going to sell them on the idea that it is okay to fun PAT by taking money out of their pockets alone. Of course PAT is still in trouble. Still cutting routes. Still in a mess. What other new tax can we come up with Brian? Do you want to put a tax on clothing in Allegheny County? Just 7 percent. I mean clothing isn't taxed, so we could just tax our county and all will be great. What about taxing city residents only for PAT's troubles? You know, just add it to a property tax? That might work. Oh, we also have no tax on non-prepaired foods at grocery stores. We could throw a 10% tax on that one, right Brian?

Old 01-26-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Corbett actually won Allegheny County--barely, but still that is a huge haul of votes in comparison to Toomey, McCain, or so on.
I did say "by and large" - and the point remains: democratic action by a Dem-registered majority metro-city in a state controlled by the opposite party isn't likely to achieve much. Something about the tyranny of the majority, I think it's called.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:21 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,627,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Tell that to the people with children trying to operate a restaurant that couldn't come up with the extra 10 and now 7 percent to fund something they have nothing to do with. I hope you are a good salesperson, because I don't think you are going to sell them on the idea that it is okay to fun PAT by taking money out of their pockets alone. Of course PAT is still in trouble. Still cutting routes. Still in a mess. What other new tax can we come up with Brian? Do you want to put a tax on clothing in Allegheny County? Just 7 percent. I mean clothing isn't taxed, so we could just tax our county and all will be great. What about taxing city residents only for PAT's troubles? You know, just add it to a property tax? That might work. Oh, we also have no tax on non-prepaired foods at grocery stores. We could throw a 10% tax on that one, right Brian?
Is there anywhere in the country (besides our area) that doesn't tax groceries or clothinig?

Old 01-26-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
Is there anywhere in the country (besides our are) that doesn't tax groceries or clothinig?
Depends on what you mean by tax, but Oregon has no sales tax. Not on groceries, not on clothing, nothing.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:27 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
Does it? Not for it's own sake, certainly - unless you gain something from sterile anger. So what will we do with that anger?

Write to your representatives? They probably already agree - and are outvoted.

So, what then? Sign a petition? Hire some buses and stomp around with placards in front of the Capitol? Plot a coup? A political assassination? The Whiskey Rebellion?
I think the most important thing is to get the word out that state government matters on these issues. Too many people place the blame solely on PAT, Ravenstahl, and Fitzgerald. I'm not talking about on these boards specifically either, riding the bus and talking to coworkers, I constantly hear them say how they are going to write a scathing letter to PAT or the mayor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh