U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-27-2012, 10:17 AM

4,708 posts, read 4,728,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmantz65 View Post
So, the Gov. says concessions have to be made between the ATU, PAT, and county before he decides on something. But the ATU president says no concessions will come without state action. Awesome! Will anyone budge and if so, when? It is shaping up to be a bloodbath this summer.

Port Authority board approves deep cuts - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Which basically means Pittsburgh is f*cked...
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 10:39 AM

5,288 posts, read 3,185,181 times
I'm sorry, I just don't see why the union should move first on this.

This isn't like a private-sector company, given very little of the revenue of any mass-transit system comes directly from user fees. Revenue magically went poof due to both budgetary concerns and possibly political animus. By giving in once to a blank check, what's to stop it from happening again and again.

Also, without guidelines as to what level of concessions are acceptable, the ATU could agree to huge giveaways *and* see big layoffs, which would be the worst of both worlds.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:08 PM

4,037 posts, read 3,168,859 times
What would $64 million in concessions from the union even entail? Is it even a legitimately feasible prospect?

For those who are saying that this is something that Pittsburgh can never recover from, I think that is over hyping the situation. It's terrible news for many people, and the city, but if a transit friendly governor gets into office, I see no reason that the old routes could not be restored relatively quickly.

Everyone is talking of traffic, I'm actually more concerned about parking. Oakland and downtown lots often fill up before 9AM as it is.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:18 PM

763 posts, read 514,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Between this news and Philly's school district falling apart you have to wonder how long this state has till it reaches 3rd world status.
Yeah and Philly will be joining Pittsburgh with a dire mass transit situation in 2013. Already there has been an article about probable fare hikes. And 2013 is also when contracts expire for the TWU workers on the city and suburban transit routes.

Both cities are so f**ked if they are depending on Corbett.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:26 PM

108 posts, read 119,397 times
http://www.downtownpittsburgh.com/_f...klet_final.pdf

Here is something from 2010. See page 8 Commuting. I'm betting some folks will refute the commute-by- Bus and "T" percentages, but it is something to discuss.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:28 PM

977 posts, read 689,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I'm sorry, I just don't see why the union should move first on this.
There is no way PAT will ever be sustainable long term, without major concessions from the union, so make no mistake, the Governor is doing the right thing but forcing the union to move first. If he caves, and gives PAT its funding first, there will be very little incentive for the union to make the much needed concessions.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:45 PM

4,444 posts, read 3,136,162 times
So after this cut, won't it be about 50% of all routes having been cut since 2002ish?

Old 04-27-2012, 12:58 PM

4,262 posts, read 4,051,779 times
I give up. This is embarrassing. Period.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:02 PM

20,274 posts, read 18,596,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanPioneer View Post
40000 daily riders are not unique riders. The number takes into account mostly commutes who take two trips a day.
I'm not sure it is true they are "mostly" commuters, because PAT is going to try to keep at least some service for most of the big commuting corridors.

In any event, whether it is 20,000 or 40,000 or in between, that is still going to be a staggering blow for our economy and cause huge problems for our already-congested transportation system.

Indeed, even assuming it is 20,000 commuters, at peak a highway lane can only handle about 2300 cars per hour. We don't have that kind of capacity in our main commuter corridors sitting around idle, so it would actually be terrible news if it were true that was mostly commuters.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:05 PM

20,274 posts, read 18,596,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
On top of that, people will find alternate routes or different times or places to catch a different bus. The number will be WAY lower and the buses that are in use will probably be more crowded, helping the shortfall as well.
Not that this particular poster cares about facts, but for those who do . . .

This is part of why this being only the latest in a series of service cuts will make this round particularly devastating. PAT has already eliminated much of the redundant capacity in the system, and it has already led to overcrowding on a number of the remaining routes. So now when it cuts a bunch more service, there won't be any place for those displaced riders to go--unless we start allowing people to ride clinging to the top of buses like in third-world countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh