Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2012, 07:11 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
A cut in PAT means very little to us.
Tell that to the faces I see on public transit 5 days a week.

Seriously, my generation is ditching cars in favor of public transit but they'll look elsewhere if they're forced to buy a car that they can't afford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 07:46 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Tell that to the faces I see on public transit 5 days a week.

Seriously, my generation is ditching cars in favor of public transit but they'll look elsewhere if they're forced to buy a car that they can't afford.
I wouldn't disagree that more people are going careless, but it's still the active choice of a minority of people in the younger generation. I personally don't know a single young person out of school that does not own a car here.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:56 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I wouldn't disagree that more people are going careless, but it's still the active choice of a minority of people in the younger generation. I personally don't know a single young person out of school that does not own a car here.
Yeah, this hardly makes the news these days. I may know one person that may feel the effects of the cut. Most will just adjust.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:58 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
Quote:
Going completely car free in Pittsburgh is a pretty tough thing to do. I don't think it's fair to say that a lack of car free young people equates to lack of young people who wish to be car free.

I'm 25, if PAT could get me to where I want to go and when I want to go, I would be a zip car user. Heck, if I didn't own my car outright, I'd probably be a zip car user as it is.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:00 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Yeah, this hardly makes the news these days. I may know one person that may feel the effects of the cut. Most will just adjust.
You're absolutely correct. The problem comes from the fact that for many people, adjusting may equate to leaving the region or becoming unemployed.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:17 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
Going completely car free in Pittsburgh is a pretty tough thing to do.
It isn't a tough thing to do if you live around busways, or in and around Oakland/Shadyside or North Side. Sure if you live out in the burbs, it isn't easy. People just need to live in areas that work for the lifestyle they are looking for. I ride a bike to work and really most places. I live in a location that allows that. If I lived in Springdale, I don't think I would bother trying. If I lived about anywhere in the South Hills, it would be very tough for me to ride my bike to work or the city. Therefore, I planned accordingly. It really isn't that tough to figure out.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:25 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times
I could live car free if i wanted to as I can walk to work and all other necessary amenities quite easily, but couldn't see trading the freedom of going wherever you want whenever you want - transit here, even at its best can't provide that (I had no car in London & that worked ok) - plus I like fast cars too much

Old 04-30-2012, 08:29 PM
gg

Quote:
I could live car free if i wanted to as I can walk to work and all other necessary amenities quite easily, but couldn't see trading the freedom of going wherever you want whenever you want - transit here, even at its best can't provide that (I had no car in London & that worked ok) - plus I like fast cars too much
Yeah the US in general isn't very good car free, unless you are in the NYC area or at least the northeastern region. Pittsburgh is pretty small to be car free. Cool that some do it, but they are usually cyclists.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:43 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
Yep, all those people using PAT to go Downtown will just have to move into the tens of thousands of empty housing units just sitting there waiting for them.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:56 PM

598 posts, read 747,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Yep, all those people using PAT to go Downtown will just have to move into the tens of thousands of empty housing units just sitting there waiting for them.
No, but they will demand private transit options.
These demands will be fulfilled by the free market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh