Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2012, 09:36 AM

598 posts, read 744,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Just a few reminders:

40,000 daily riders would lose service, and that is because there are very few low-use routes left to cut. In an issue we also haven't talked enough about, the ACCESS program, which provides paratransit service for the elderly and disabled, is also facing draconian service cuts:

It is always amusing how one can manipulate numbers in their favor.

40000 daily riders are not unique riders. The number takes into account mostly commutes who take two trips a day. Which of course cuts the number if riders in half to the grand total of typically overestimated 20000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 09:37 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,857,276 times
Mark these works....Pittsburgh better brace itself, if the cuts its gonna be bad for everyone.

Quote:
"The damage of the cuts, if they come about, is likely irreversible," said Port Authority CEO Stephen Bland.

Read more: | TribLIVE | Pittsburgh | TribLIVE | Pittsburgh

Old 04-27-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I hardly think it will have much if any effect at all as far as our economy goes.
Again which is why I labled you as someone who is truly ignorant to this situation and the likely effects of its outcome.

I can't take your analysis/opinions seriously anymore Curtis when make such out of touch comments like this. Because Public Transportation is not a factor in your daily routines means the same for other 2.5 million people in the region, and their jobs. :SMH:

Old 04-27-2012, 09:47 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,555,832 times
Quote:
There is another bonus if PAT has this cut. People may look at living closer to work so they can WALK!!! Yes, walk.
Or ride - don't forget that option. Horse transit is environmentally friendly, helps sustain local agriculture (oats), and could create an entire new industry of ostlers and stableboys, blacksmiths, carriage-makers and coachmen for downtown Pittsburgh. It would create a major incentive to improve and expand Pittsburgh's trail network, which could be shared between coaches and bicyclists. It would provide Pittsburgh with many tourist attractions. And best of all, Pittsburgh is one of the very few major metropolitan areas in North America where the necessary skills are still available nearby. Mount up!

Old 04-27-2012, 09:48 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,807,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanPioneer View Post
It is always amusing how one can manipulate numbers in their favor.

40000 daily riders are not unique riders. The number takes into account mostly commutes who take two trips a day. Which of course cuts the number if riders in half to the grand total of typically overestimated 20000.
On top of that, people will find alternate routes or different times or places to catch a different bus. The number will be WAY lower and the buses that are in use will probably be more crowded, helping the shortfall as well.

I still think this is a very positive story and hope it proves to have many benefits. Sure some people are panicking about the worst or whatever, but things do need to change. We can't keep taxing our way out of poor management.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:50 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,555,832 times
Oh, and it will help reduce our dependence on foreign oil (depending on where we source our Arabians).

Old 04-27-2012, 09:53 AM

598 posts, read 744,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
Or ride - don't forget that option. Horse transit is environmentally friendly, helps sustain local agriculture (oats), and could create an entire new industry of ostlers and stableboys, blacksmiths, carriage-makers and coachmen for downtown Pittsburgh. It would create a major incentive to improve and expand Pittsburgh's trail network, which could be shared between coaches and bicyclists. It would provide Pittsburgh with many tourist attractions. And best of all, Pittsburgh is one of the very few major metropolitan areas in North America where the necessary skills are still available nearby. Mount up!
If PAT takes over horse transit, the future may not be as bright as you are describing! Otherwise, the idea is awesome.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:56 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,807,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Again which is why I labled you as someone who is truly ignorant to this situation and the likely effects of its outcome.
I think you are ignorant to the situation because you can't see beyond your own self interests. There is a big picture to consider and you don't grasp it at all. I owned a restaurant/bar and offered on another one a while back, but was outbid. The person that outbid me ended up not being able to buy the place. I could buy it now, and have several employees, but that is a difficult business as it is and that drink tax is a killer. 7% is huge! Then the property taxes on the building. It is assessed around $200K. Do you know what other taxes are involved in that business? How many restaurants/bars don't make it? Can you see that? Sure, it is just another 7% on top of the pile of other taxes, but that is because of PAT and poor management. Seems you think this money grows on trees and people need to pay more taxes? I DON'T and if that means there is a 35% cut in service for the few for the many, so be it. PAT riders are FEW, but the more important point is no more bail outs. Balance your budget or else.

I think I understand the big picture MUCH better than you. You are stuck thinking about your personal bus route. I am thinking about an entire business model. Taxing people in Allegheny County even more is ridiculous. Corbett is correct. Balance your budgets!

Old 04-27-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
I think you are ignorant to the situation because you can't see beyond your own self interests. There is a big picture to consider and you don't grasp it at all. I owned a restaurant/bar and offered on another one a while back, but was outbid. The person that outbid me ended up not being able to buy the place. I could buy it now, and have several employees, but that is a difficult business as it is and that drink tax is a killer. 7% is huge! Then the property taxes on the building. It is assessed around $200K. Do you know what other taxes are involved in that business? How many restaurants/bars don't make it? Can you see that? Sure, it is just another 7% on top of the pile of other taxes, but that is because of PAT and poor management. Seems you think this money grows on trees and people need to pay more taxes? I DON'T and if that means there is a 35% cut in service for the few for the many, so be it. PAT riders are FEW, but the more important point is no more bail outs. Balance your budget or else.

I think I understand the big picture MUCH better than you. You are stuck thinking about your personal bus route. I am thinking about an entire business model. Taxing people in Allegheny County even more is ridiculous. Corbett is correct. Balance your budgets!
Please....LMAO....You've proven time and time again...You're oblivious to looking at this situation on an Regional economic scale, out side the lively hood of h_curtis.

You understand nothing outside of how much taxes you pay on your Beer! ...Hope life is comfy cozy in that narrow minded bubble you live in.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:05 AM

1,146 posts, read 1,406,064 times
So, the Gov. says concessions have to be made between the ATU, PAT, and county before he decides on something. But the ATU president says no concessions will come without state action. Awesome! Will anyone budge and if so, when? It is shaping up to be a bloodbath this summer.

Port Authority board approves deep cuts - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh