Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2012, 04:46 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times

Advertisements

Just a reminder of why the state transportation fund is falling short:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 04:52 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Just a reminder of why the state transportation fund is falling short:
2020? Is that your prediction?

Price for a gallon of gas in 1970? .36

Price for a gallon of gas in 2012? 3.50

What do you want me to say about that Brian?

Old 06-03-2012, 05:04 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,145,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post

Price for a gallon of gas in 1970? .36

Price for a gallon of gas in 2012? 3.50

I don't even understand what you're trying to say.

(a) Inflation. (Yeah, gas is more expensive than it was in 1970. You know what else is? Everything.)
(b) Gas is scarcer and not produced at nearly the same volume domestically. (And scarcity + distance + production and distribution being largely out of our hands = greater expense.)

What does that have to do with fuel tax, which is the only thing being communicated by BrianTH's graph?

Old 06-03-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
If you weren't too scared to read the TFAC report, you would know.

Quote:
Well, you could say you understand that transportation-related commodity costs in general have gone up in real terms while transportation tax rates have gone down in real terms, all of which is contributing to the state transportation funding crisis, and that it would make sense to have transportation tax rates keep pace with an index of related costs.

But I suspect you did not in fact understand what I just wrote.

Last edited by BrianTH; 06-03-2012 at 05:23 PM..

Old 06-03-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
What does that have to do with fuel tax, which is the only thing being communicated by BrianTH's graph?
Well, you have to understand that h_curtis is innumerate, which is part of why he is such a poor businessperson, and part of why he has mismanaged his personal finances, such that he now finds himself living beyond his means.

Accordingly, he feels that poor children should go uneducated, thousands of elderly and disabled should be trapped in their homes, businesses should be cut off from their workers, and so on, all to bail him out of his self-inflicted financial disaster.

Given that context, the point is that because he is struggling to come up with gas money, the fact that Pennsylvania drivers are paying historically low amounts in real fuel taxes is irrelevant to how he feels about all this.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:29 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
which is part of why he is such a poor businessperson, and part of why he has mismanaged his personal finances, such that he now finds himself living beyond his means..

I do love sarcasm. Especially coming from someone living in Wilkinsburg and having humor enough to joke about someone living in FC. That is priceless though. Thanks for the laugh.

Good luck to all in their thinking they can keep throwing money away to prop the mess up. We will just keep going and going. PennDot, PAT and the like. It is funny to watch people struggle against change. People sure hate it. Keeping going straight in a line. It is the only way. Brian and the like seem to be unable to embrace change. Things do need to change and they will. Cutting costs and breaking up the mess is the only way. It is going to hurt for a while but get better. Hope our leaders finally stick to no raising of taxes and for goodness sake no more new taxes.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:31 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,979,609 times
Quote:
PAT's troubles were the excuse to extract more money from the innocent bar and restaurant owners. They had nothing to do with this problem.
Agreed, but I still don't see how you can blame PAT for the county being deceptive like that.

Quote:
All I can gather is they will need to INCREASE taxes again to keep PAT afloat. I am not for that. Don't you get it? I am tired of more and more taxes going towards pensions for these fat cat monopoly people. I could care less about them and certainly don't want to contribute to their schemes.
Increasing taxes would certainly solve the problem, but I do not think it's the only option. I would rather see bankruptcy be allowed to some level, a reorganization of PAT (joined with neighboring counties), or shifting money from some other source. It doesn't make sense to keep redistributing so much money away from the state's economic engine.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:36 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
Agreed

I would rather see bankruptcy be allowed to some level...
Now you are talking.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:46 PM

h_curtis also doesn't understand what "sarcasm" is (which is quite handy, incidentally).

Of course I am not generally unsympathetic to people currently experiencing financial crises. I just don't have much sympathy for people who have brought on their own financial crisis due to conspicuous consumption.

So, we go from:

Quote:
You have to understand, I am driving a European Sports Sedan.
to:

Quote:
Soon I will ride my bike to and from work and live in a box.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:39 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,095,135 times
Quote:

I do love sarcasm. Especially coming from someone living in Wilkinsburg and having humor enough to joke about someone living in FC. That is priceless though. Thanks for the laugh.
I bet Brian's house in Wilkinsburg, is worth more than your house in FC .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh