Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2012, 08:43 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
In other words . . .

"I love congestion!"
No, hoping this spurs on a change. This PAT crap is old and bailing them out with more and more taxes to the people of Allegheny County is horrendous. Maybe if they fold the drink tax will go away (unlikely) and a independent well run company will come in and take care of the needs of our region. PAT hasn't worked out and they need to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 07:24 AM

59 posts, read 97,404 times
Quote:
Lots of park and rides are going to close down. Hope this is the big shake up that is needed to rid a company that pays $80K or more for some of their drivers and who knows what other wasteful crap that goes on that costs us all piles of extra money in taxes.
You know, you keep saying this...and i'm jumping in. When is the last time you've taken the bus or T? Do you know that any driver that makes that much probably has no life outside of work? Many times drivers work 12-16 hour shifts at a time. A driver is not a 9-5 office job. These people get thousands of people home, to work, to the doctor's office, whatever each day. 99.9% of the time they do it safely, and without incident. What gives you the right to dictate how much they should make? Because they may not have gone to college for this job? How many of these drivers even make this much money?

Public Transit should be a public service (and is and most places around the country). Toronto's tried privatization. It hasn't worked. Lenzner Tours tried to do a private bus route just this past year-and when it wasnt profitable, they stopped running it. Granted, this was a suburban park-n-ride route to downtown, but what happens when the buses stop coming to Elizabeth? Mckeesport? Versailles? Trafford? How will the poor, disabled, or elderly get around? Yes, the Port Authority-IN THE PAST- has mismanaged things. The current administration has been trying to fix things, but as long as those astronomical legacy costs remain, they will never be able to.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:04 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,979,609 times
This article is a little dated, but it's all I could find on a quick google search. Port Authority defends overtime - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Quote:
Seven drivers and two hourly employees grossed more than $80,000, including overtime.
Can we stop acting like the salary of 7 drivers (possibly even fewer now) is causing PAT's financial issues?

Quote:
The median pay for drivers was $49,000, including overtime. In 2005, the Port Authority had 1,580 drivers on the payroll.
Hmmm....median, that means that there were 790 drivers that made 49K or less. PAT's salaries may be slightly on the high side on average, but not atrociously so. And contracts have been renegotiated since the time of that article anyway.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:10 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
The key part of that article is this:

Quote:
Bob Grove, a Port Authority spokesman, said it's still cheaper to pay employees to work extra hours than it would be to hire more drivers. Salaries plus benefits and pension payments would be costlier, he said. "It's more efficient to pay overtime," Grove said. "That's why it's done."
So ironically the people complaining about the salaries that can result from overtime are de facto trying to make PAT less efficient and increase its benefits costs.

I think the general lesson here is that there isn't a lot of low-hanging fruit left in terms of PAT becoming more efficient. They should keep working on that of course, but there isn't some magic button sitting in Steve Bland's office that he can push and suddenly PAT will provide the same level of service for a lot less funding. And that is because if such a button existed, he would already have pushed it long ago.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:17 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,094,835 times
This:

State is liable to wreck transit at any cost

Old 01-31-2012, 08:21 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
Can we stop acting like the salary of 7 drivers (possibly even fewer now) is causing PAT's financial issues?
Over compensation IS part of the problem. Stop acting like it is no big deal. Spending money you don't have IS a big deal. Do you have any idea the shortfall for next year?

“Right now we’re facing a $64 million deficit for the coming fiscal year,” Ritchie said.

I realize you and Brian want to defend PAT's practices, but you cannot pay drivers that much if you are going belly up. After 20 years on the job they get full pension AND all that healthcare that was promised. How can you people defend this company? $64 MILLION! Where is that money going to come from? The people who use PAT? Hardly! It will come in the form of a cost shift from some other business or whatever. The drink tax brought in how much from on industry and as bars/restaurants close due to the shortfall, what other business in Allegheny County can we suck money from? Oh, but if is fine for a few drivers to make over $80K a year and that article is dated as you said.

Stop defending a company that is killing our area with new taxes and no doubt more new taxes to come. They are chopping service to almost nothing and we get to keep all these new taxes. Who do you want to point the finger at? Me as a tax payer? You? How about PAT and their practices. Sure go ahead and defend them. We can calmly agree to disagree. I am tired of paying the 7% extra if I have a beer or whatever out. What are they going to hit us up next to make people justify moving to Cranberry? I would prefer our region is more competitive, so we don't have people leaving. We already lost 50% of our population. Do you want to make it another 50%? For what? PAT's union? Not worth it. Let them sink and don't give them a dime. See how the greed of that union works out for them. The employees are paying those dues for the golden parachutes for a job like a bus driver. I think the people need to send a message. Sink or swim on your own.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:25 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,094,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Who do you want to point the finger at?
The Governor.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:28 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
The Governor.
Yes, although various anti-transit media outlets and the know-nothing PAT-bashers in the public are helping to enable him.

Still, with Corbett's own commission recommending a solution, and the legislature his party controls being willing to act on those recommendations, he really is standing alone in opposition to solving this crisis.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:29 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,652,966 times
Me, I'm mostly selfish. I don't give a crap about PAT's practices; I just don't want more traffic in my way in the morning or more cars in before me at the parking garage. In addition to the selfish bit, I care much more about the workers and businesses the cuts would affect than I care about how poorly PAT was managed in the past or the present. Thus, I would rather not see any more service cuts, regardless of whether that means continuing bad practices or not.

If you (meaning anyone) think the service cuts won't affect you because you never use transit, you (meaning anyone who believes that) are stupid.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:34 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,629,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Me, I'm mostly selfish. I don't give a crap about PAT's practices; I just don't want more traffic in my way in the morning or more cars in before me at the parking garage. In addition to the selfish bit, I care much more about the workers and businesses the cuts would affect than I care about how poorly PAT was managed in the past or the present. Thus, I would rather not see any more service cuts, regardless of whether that means continuing bad practices or not.

If you (meaning anyone) think the service cuts won't affect you because you never use transit, you (meaning anyone who believes that) are stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh