Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 11:56 AM

1,758 posts, read 4,228,019 times

Advertisements

Downtown strip club can expand, zoning board rules

This is also good news for the city. No, I probably will never frequent Blush myself. However, there is no proof that potential residents, CAPA students, and Downtown visitors will be burdened by the expansion. In fact, CAPA leaders and The Cultural Trust leaders are making it worse by giving this so much attention. Blush has been there for decades. It used to be called Club Elite, and before that, The Edison Hotel. It has always been the same owner and he has a good track record for running such an establishment. The building on the corner of 9th is an attractive one that has sat vacant for too long. It is good to see something utilized in this good location. So Kevin McMahon can cry all he wants about it hindering the Cultural Trust's Riverparc project three blocks away. Kevin McMahon needs to spend more time getting this project off of the ground rather than pointing to petty, non-related reasons as to why it will not get done. Kudos for the City Planning Commision for doing the right thing. This is another sign that Pittsburgh is progressing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 07:19 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,253,627 times
I don't know how good the record of the Edison Hotel has been. We had one of our council people, Michael Coyne get arrested out there a few years ago.

Then of course, Councilman Cusick got in trouble at the Bottoms Up Club on 51.

It seems as if these strip clubs are the ruin and corruptors of our councilfolk.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:11 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
Oh, please. Councilfolk are the ruin of themselves. Removing temptation isn't the solution. People need to be strong of character to resist temptation. It's entirely possible to walk into a strip joint and not get arrested. I've only been in there once, back when I was 17, my classmates and I snuck in because we were tracking down a homeless girl we nicknamed "Wicked Wanda." We didn't get arrested, nor were we lured into an evil underground world.

You don't need a strip joint for illegal activity. Anyone with half a brain can see what's happening at 5pm everyday downtown. It doesn't matter where I stand waiting for the bus. There's almost always some guy trolling around in his car, going around the block 20 times trying to catch the eye of some hooker who is drinking her "morning" coffee at 5pm because she just woke up. I even tapped one on the shoulder once to let her know the guy in the car was trying to get her attention. LOL

Old 06-16-2011, 08:34 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,954,579 times
The Edison has been there for a very long time. Sure it changed its name, but all cities have a little skin joint. Who cares? It really is no big deal, although it is funny it is right next to CAPA. Just think as soon as the girls graduate, they can get a job if they are in shape and make lots of money. No college required. ha ha ha

Old 06-16-2011, 08:55 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
The CAPA argument is silly. The strip club was there before CAPA. If it was such a big problem, the school district should have built the school elsewhere.

Someone needs to send the school board a copy of the movie "Flashdance." It was even filmed in Pittsburgh! Anyone else remember that movie?

Old 06-16-2011, 09:04 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,001,421 times
Dressing in the Flashdance style was very popular in my middle school that year ('83).

Old 06-17-2011, 07:14 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,962,159 times
Gee, this place is kind of an institution. It's been there forever, and to my knowledge, no major problems in all those years. I do remember the city councilman getting into a fight and throwing up by the trash bin in the alley.

Hey, culture means a lot of different things to different people. The proposed expansion is within the zoning limits, so let them conduct their business.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:15 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,711,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Oh, please. Councilfolk are the ruin of themselves. Removing temptation isn't the solution. People need to be strong of character to resist temptation. It's entirely possible to walk into a strip joint and not get arrested. I've only been in there once, back when I was 17, my classmates and I snuck in because we were tracking down a homeless girl we nicknamed "Wicked Wanda." We didn't get arrested, nor were we lured into an evil underground world.

You don't need a strip joint for illegal activity. Anyone with half a brain can see what's happening at 5pm everyday downtown. It doesn't matter where I stand waiting for the bus. There's almost always some guy trolling around in his car, going around the block 20 times trying to catch the eye of some hooker who is drinking her "morning" coffee at 5pm because she just woke up. I even tapped one on the shoulder once to let her know the guy in the car was trying to get her attention. LOL

" Councilfolk are the ruin of themselves".

Old 06-17-2011, 07:22 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,627,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Then of course, Councilman Cusick got in trouble at the Bottoms Up Club on 51.
Look where he is now. (Sorry I don't even have the answer to that one...)

Old 06-17-2011, 01:06 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,692,067 times
I laugh every time I see the Blush commercial where the guys are following the girl around in here mini skirt. I swear, no matter how many times I see it, I am always expecting the final shot to reveal that the sexy legs belong to a dude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh