Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 09:50 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,245,163 times

Advertisements

Brent just brought home an issue of a magazine called Ready Made (Instructions for Everyday Life)...

The article is about what John Fetterman is trying to accomplish in Braddock PA. It sounds daunting... and exciting. (And not available online)

I did find his website...

Braddock Pennsylvania - Ruins (http://www.15104.cc/ruins.html - broken link)

This is sort of what I'm looking for... a community of artists who are artistic and not just commercial. But it still sounds like the place is ... not very nice...

Does anyone else think this stands a snowball's chance in he... well? Any other places that are begin rehabbed in this manner, but quietly, with no blowhard at the helm? I would assume Fetterman is a controversial figure... and not afraid of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 01:55 PM
PPG

509 posts, read 1,423,226 times
See, I told you guys not to ever drive down Braddock Ave.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:01 PM

1 posts, read 4,995 times
So, you don’t think I have a snowball’s chance in hell? Hey, fair enough. To be sure, we have numerous challenges to contend with that extend beyond they pale of what construes a “distressed community.” I suppose the other option would be to let them bulldoze the town under, salt the earth, and move to Portland OR.

In the meantime, I’ll keep at it. Thanks for the support, though.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:38 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,963,523 times
From what I have seen and heard of Mayor Fetterman, if anybody can do it, he can. He put his money where his mouth is, he bought and renovated a space in Braddock, he invited artists in to use empty buildings as studios and work spaces, and I believe bands can even rehearse in some of the buildings. He promotes Braddock every chance he gets, and he gains attention doing it. Lots of towns in the Mon Valley need a person like that. Braddock has a long way to go, but now there is a spark.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAyor 15104 View Post
So, you don’t think I have a snowball’s chance in hell? Hey, fair enough. To be sure, we have numerous challenges to contend with that extend beyond they pale of what construes a “distressed community.” I suppose the other option would be to let them bulldoze the town under, salt the earth, and move to Portland OR.

Just asking if there was a snowball's chance, sir! I think what's being done there sounds exciting -- that's urban pioneerism!

Please keep us posted!

Old 08-21-2007, 08:23 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
Maybe Hell will freeze over by the time you're planning to relocate here, Tallysmom!

I do hope it works out for Braddock. It's such a shame to see these old river towns deteriorating.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Maybe Hell will freeze over by the time you're planning to relocate here, Tallysmom!

I do hope it works out for Braddock. It's such a shame to see these old river towns deteriorating.
Talking about hell freezing over -- my little dollhouse in CA was worth nearly 500K 2 years ago is in the not so high 3's now -- 375K.... and falling....

NOTHING is selling in my neighborhood. All the low end mortgage money is gone gone gone.... ain't no one writing paper in a not so desirable area... But in some ways we're lucky -- only one house on our street is a repo... the others for sale are long term owner occupied....

Old 08-22-2007, 09:00 AM

176 posts, read 767,076 times
To say all the low end mortgage money is gone gone gone and no one is writing paper in less than desirable locations...That couldn't be further from the truth..

Right here--Right Now Today...It's easier than ever to obtain a mortgage BELOW prime..Zero Down.. 0 Points...Brokers are actually giving credits to buyers for obtaining mortgages through them...The only catch, you must have great credit...

What is gone--Thank God is, sub prime lenders giving people with 580 credit scores 300k to 500k with no money down...No assests, Below average paying jobs..And letting them use stated income mortgages...

You didnt have to be an industry analyst to see the down fall was going to come....How can a couple with one income at 70k annually and 2 kids afford a 600k mortgage...INSANITY...

The developers in Cali, Florida, and other sunshine states let's say...Built a giant mouse trap for people AND BAITED THEM IN WITH FAKE CHEESE...

Old 08-22-2007, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRO Z View Post
To say all the low end mortgage money is gone gone gone and no one is writing paper in less than desirable locations...That couldn't be further from the truth..

Right here--Right Now Today...It's easier than ever to obtain a mortgage BELOW prime..Zero Down.. 0 Points...Brokers are actually giving credits to buyers for obtaining mortgages through them...The only catch, you must have great credit...

What is gone--Thank God is, sub prime lenders giving people with 580 credit scores 300k to 500k with no money down...No assests, Below average paying jobs..And letting them use stated income mortgages...

You didnt have to be an industry analyst to see the down fall was going to come....How can a couple with one income at 70k annually and 2 kids afford a 600k mortgage...INSANITY...

The developers in Cali, Florida, and other sunshine states let's say...Built a giant mouse trap for people AND BAITED THEM IN WITH FAKE CHEESE...
Tro z -- I am in the Bay Area California, and our starter homes (in nicer neighborhoods) are often jumbo loans. The more stringent lending rules being imposed are making it near impossible for these homes to sell. The only reason our median house prices haven't fallen is because our expensive homes are still selling. Although now we're hearing about larger home mortgages not getting funded even with 30% down and lots of money in the bank, just because the person hasn't been on the job long. So this is trickling up.

And one of the other things that happened with the house price run ups is that our incomes haven't moved up with the house prices.

Out here, there were 3 month periods of 35% price run ups -- salaries just CAN'T keep up with that.

So our lower income houses or starter homes are still too expensive for the people that would buy them to afford them.

I have to agree -- this is the beginning of the shake out -- and it's going to long and it's going to be UGLY.

Which is why we've decided to do some renovations... it'll help the house sell when it's time, and make it more liveable for us for now...

Old 08-22-2007, 04:25 PM

76 posts, read 273,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAyor 15104 View Post

Go Braddock go!
I, too, am working to revitalize a struggling neighborhood.
Average housing price: $34K. And a stone's throw from downtown.
Folks don't understand what history has to offer in our neighborhoods.
I respect Broddock's Mayor's attempts and applaud the REALLY great parties he has!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh