Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 06:52 AM

18,717 posts, read 30,954,453 times

Advertisements

And if so, do they use "Fairywood" to identify themselves?

Fairywood is one area of Pittsburgh that's always intrigued me. So hats off to AA for bringing it up in another thread. Everytime I see it on a map I want to know more. Such a funny name for an area that isn't talked about very much, but when it is, it sounds like it could be a little rough. But... how could a place named Fairywood be rough? Have I gotten the wrong impression? Are the rumors about Fairyland nothing more than fairy tales?

I want to hear more about this little area with the funny name. What it used to be like, and what it's like today. And how did it get this name? (Please tell me it's because back in the 60s the hippies went there to get "magic dust" . Or even better, that it was originally home to retired artists from the Disney studios. Or, maybe an amusement park was once there?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 07:10 AM

14,169 posts, read 22,583,485 times
Yep, you gotta worry about the Tinkerbell Mafia in that area.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:12 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,822,659 times
Here's something from two years ago in the City Paper: Fairywood Tale - News - Pittsburgh City Paper

Google "fairywood pittsburgh" and see more.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:20 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,775,056 times
Fairywood was the location of the Broadhead Manor housing project, and also Westgate Village, a private development that had declined to mostly Section 8 tenants. Broadhead has been razed, and Westgate is now higher end apartments. The rest of Fairywood consists of about 3 short streets containing older brick homes, along with a block of homes dating from the 70's. There is also a strange little area at the end of Broadhead Fordind Rd. that contains a small development of little one story frame houses. These are a type of house that is commom in the Midwest, but nearly unknown in Pittsburgh. There was once a gang in Broadhead that had chosen green as their color, but there are so few people in the area now, that I never hear of anything going on out there.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:31 AM

Jay--thanks for the link. Actually, googling didn't come up with much on the history of the area except a note that it once inspired the movie Candyman. The article was interesting but it just covered recent events. I want history.

It's like Fairyland has been forgotten--even Google doesn't seem to know much (beyond current day woes). Why? It just sounds like a place with an interesting story. How did this area come to be, why has it been abandoned, and why did it get such a funny name? Does it have a future?

ps. Herodutus--I just saw your post. Guess we posted at the same time. Anyway, thanks! That's the sort of thing I was looking for. Is there anything else anyone remembers on this area?

Old 06-19-2011, 08:00 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,614,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
But... how could a place named Fairywood be rough?
Overcompensating, perhaps?

Old 06-19-2011, 08:11 AM

This is the description on the City Council website:

"It contains sedate old homes tucked among trees on hillsides, trees and open space - room to grow, lots of blue sky and the hush that only woodlands can create."

Fairywood

Old 06-19-2011, 09:59 AM

1,044 posts, read 2,208,729 times
Just google "Broadhead Manor Pittsburgh" and also "Westgate Village Pittsburgh" for the rich history. LOL!

Old 06-19-2011, 02:24 PM

4,692 posts, read 8,984,318 times
I know a little about Fairywood. The neighborhood is only two or three short streets (and an alley) of older (probably 1910s-1930s) brick and frame homes. It's one of the smallest neighborhoods I have seen. However, that said, the conditions are deplorable. Many of the homes look as if they are barely standing, and there are gaps in the urban fabric where some have been torn down.

I have gone to this neighborhood several times to do photo tours, but I feel uncomfortable every time. There are always shady looking people standing on the sidewalks, which discourage me from walking the area and taking pictures (i.e. looking conspicuous!). Thus, in spite of the neighborhood's small size, I have always chickened out in the middle of taking photo tours and ran for my car (this NEVER happens to me!). lol

Old 06-19-2011, 03:34 PM

AA I was hoping to hear from you. You always seem to know the history of these older neighborhoods. So... do you have any idea how it got that name?

I'm also a little curious about the Westgate. Why would they put higher end apartments there? Who rents them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh