Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2011, 12:03 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
I certainly did not mean everyone is soft. I have a mother who is in a wheelchair so I certainly understand accessibility and physical limitations. Just reading that someone thought a house was sooo cheap solely because it ONLY had one and half baths and neither was on the main floor, and boy that's just so inconvenient, just led me to thinking that in general, we are spoiled are we not? So maybe that was a better way to say it. Anyone who needs that, needs it. I didn't mean to make it sound like no one does. But, then again, not everyone does and so for those that don't, climbing one set of stairs so is terribly, terribly inconvenient? (And as a bonus -- tones the butt...)

As an aside -- my mother's house does not have a bathroom on the main level either. Stair glides were a wonderful invention for retrofitting old homes to make them handicap accessible.
Sorry, I was being harsh -- my knees were KILLING me -- and I had just had knee shots that hadn't kicked in.

Those things are great inventions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 12:09 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
This is going to sound gross, but in the old days there were these things called "chamber pots" that people kept in their bedrooms so they didn't have to go out to the outhouse at night. Think of a hospital bedpan and you get the idea.

When my dad broke his hip and couldn't go up stairs to the bathroom, my mom rented an adult "potty chair". There are some circumstances that require some creative solutions.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:29 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,712,597 times
This thread, supposedly about Cranberry Twp., has literally gone into the toilet!

Old 06-23-2011, 12:34 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,358,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet67 View Post
This thread, supposedly about Cranberry Twp., has literally gone into the toilet!
The Pittsburgh Toilet?

Old 06-23-2011, 02:09 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
LOL, I'll bet you guys want to "can" all this talk about toilets (sorry, couldn't resist) but getting back to Cranberry for a moment, it doesn't surprise me one bit if a fair number of homes there have four bathrooms. It's easier to have than you might think.

I don't live in a super huge house, but we have four bathrooms. How did that happen? Easy. Bathroom #1 is in the basement. I often work from home, and my office is in the basement, so a bathroom down there is a necessity (especially since co-workers regularly stop by to go over a report or drop things off. I don't really want to send them up to my bedroom just to use a bathroom.)

Bathroom #2 is on the first floor. It's just a powder room in the hallway and is the one used when we have people over.

Bathroom #3 is upstairs and is used by my kids.

Bathroom #4 is an en suite attached to the master bedroom. It's really good to have two different bathrooms upstairs since everyone needs to get ready at about the same time each morning.

See how quickly they add up?

Old 06-23-2011, 02:28 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
LOL, I'll bet you guys want to "can" all this talk about toilets (sorry, couldn't resist) but getting back to Cranberry for a moment, it doesn't surprise me one bit if a fair number of homes there have four bathrooms. It's easier to have than you might think.

I don't live in a super huge house, but we have four bathrooms. How did that happen? Easy. Bathroom #1 is in the basement. I often work from home, and my office is in the basement, so a bathroom down there is a necessity (especially since co-workers regularly stop by to go over a report or drop things off. I don't really want to send them up to my bedroom just to use a bathroom.)

Bathroom #2 is on the first floor. It's just a powder room in the hallway and is the one used when we have people over.

Bathroom #3 is upstairs and is used by my kids.

Bathroom #4 is an en suite attached to the master bedroom. It's really good to have two different bathrooms upstairs since everyone needs to get ready at about the same time each morning.

Just curious how many square feet your house is? Including the basement if it is finished, which it sounds like it is.

I can definitely see making use of multiple bathrooms, I just can't see it ever being a necessity rather than a "nice to have." And even that is debatable, as you then have 4 bathrooms to clean and a bunch of space that could have been put to a a different use. I grew up in a 1200 square foot house with 4 people, 1 floor, and 1 bathroom. I never found myself to be suffering. At times it would have been more convenient to have had a 2nd bathroom (but not a 3rd or 4th!), but multiple bathrooms are not a necessity besides for the largest households.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:28 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
There are actually a fair number of older, smaller houses from the 80s in Cranberry that probably don't have more than 2 bathrooms. The larger ones didn't come until later, and those probably do have at least 3 every time, with one of them likely being a half.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:38 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
This has nothing to do with you Caladium, but this sentiment comes up too often. I remember sitting in a class once where we were making a potential Pittsburgh cost of living budget as a group exercise. In the end it came down to essentially "75K/year is not a lot of money, you can maybe get a $200K house, which isn't a lot of house either, and everything else will be scrimping and saving"

Of course this was back when I was making 29K a year and even on that I still had money to burn (to be fair, I was and am a single person household). I just think it's interesting how often people are oblivious to how much excess and luxury they have in their lives.

Can you believe it? "$75K is not a lot of money to be making in Pittsburgh," the professor actually stressed the word "not". I'm almost glad that I graduated into a recession in that sense, I'm not totally out of touch with how little you can get by on.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:40 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
There are actually a fair number of older, smaller houses from the 80s in Cranberry that probably don't have more than 2 bathrooms. The larger ones didn't come until later, and those probably do have at least 3 every time, with one of them likely being a half.
LOL well if that's the case then what was the beef about anyway? It's been an interesting side topic and all, but it doesn't sound like Cranberry homes are that extreme.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:45 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
Just curious how many square feet your house is? Including the basement if it is finished, which it sounds like it is.

I can definitely see making use of multiple bathrooms, I just can't see it ever being a necessity rather than a "nice to have." And even that is debatable, as you then have 4 bathrooms to clean and a bunch of space that could have been put to a a different use. I grew up in a 1200 square foot house with 4 people, 1 floor, and 1 bathroom. I never found myself to be suffering. At times it would have been more convenient to have had a 2nd bathroom (but not a 3rd or 4th!), but multiple bathrooms are not a necessity besides for the largest households.
Why do you care how many bathrooms someone else has in their house? I don't get this "bathroom fetish". BTW, I have 3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh