Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 07:57 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times

Advertisements

So if you want to look in the City--and there are some nice neighborhoods along the lines of what you are describing with places within your budget in the City--the question is whether you are willing to look at alternatives to the public schools, or at least for the upper grades.

If you are sure you are going to want to use public schools for the upper grades, the standard advice is to look within the Allderdice feeder pattern, because that is the best feeder HS in the City district.

There are a lot more areas with good feeder schools at lower grades, so if you are OK with considering alternatives for HS, that gives you more options. In fact there is a pretty robust magnet program for lower grades, so you could consider living almost anywhere in the City you otherwise find desirable, but then you might not get your walking elementary school.

Similarly, if you would consider alternatives to public schools at the lower grades, you might get more options--although many of the good private lower-grade schools are in areas which also have good public feeder schools.

So that's complicated. But if you can give us a sense of what you would be willing to do with respect to schools, we can help provide options within that constraint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 08:11 AM

6 posts, read 5,138 times
I appreciate all the information. I would be fine with private schools if we do decide on a more urban area. And our price range can go up, I just like to lean on the conservative side Plus with the a big move away from all their family I was going to remain a stay at home Mom for a little longer...How is the job market in Pittsburgh area for teachers, I'm certified early edu and k-6?

Old 06-22-2011, 08:42 AM

Since you are flexible, what I'd really recommend is renting at first, choosing a place that would be convenient for both commuting and exploring the central area to get to know you options. I'm still thinking Mt Lebanon remains a good choice to start, if you can find something there to rent at least.

We produce a lot of teachers in the region relative to job openings, so it tends to be a little tight. I'm told if you are patient and flexible it is possible to get a job eventually, so it might be an asset if you have some time before needing a job.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:54 AM

6 posts, read 5,138 times
Odd from everything that people are posting Mt Lebanon sounds very familiar to where we live now...right down to the ratio of teaching graduates and job availablity.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsraman View Post
Odd from everything that people are posting Mt Lebanon sounds very familiar to where we live now...right down to the ratio of teaching graduates and job availablity.
Of course you may get there in person and report differently, but your initial description sounded very similar.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:16 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,712,597 times
For a commute to Finleyville, any city neighborhood is a long, aggravating drive. Mt. Lebanon is a good choice; I would also consider Bethel Park, and Upper St.Clair. All have houses for sale under $ 200K; last I looked, USC had 24 houses for sale under $200k. Also, all three are good school districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh