U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-07-2007, 06:56 PM

362 posts, read 953,840 times
Default Just moved to the burgh....what should I do first?

I decided, after a decent amount of consideration, to move to Pittsburgh (well Moon Township,but you get the idea). What are some things I can do to "learn my way around" and "know the city" better. Anytime I've ever been here its just been for pirates,steelers,penguins,pitt games,and kennywood and to the mall at robinson. I figured after seeing all the helpful posts this would be the place to check. I've considered just aimlessly driving around the city, but im not sure how safe or good of an idea that would be. Thanks!

Last edited by SteelersFan09; 08-07-2007 at 07:05 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 03:41 PM

1,287 posts, read 1,375,300 times
Driving around is the beginning of the memorization process, since you'll soon find out that there are no street signs!

I dunno- I guess I'd try to get involved in some community activities in order to meet people, and go from there. The Post Gazette and the CP list events happening in town so I would look there. As corny as it seems, those downtown tour buses are a good way to get a handle on the basics about the city.

Old 08-08-2007, 04:40 PM

24 posts, read 46,601 times
I don't even know if it is still out there, but whenever I moved to Pittsburgh I bought two books/maps/guides. The first was a smaller book about the belts around the city. The Purple, blue, Orange etc. It came in handy while trying to navigate far reaching new areas.

The other one was a map book down to street level in a ringed binder type thing that was very detailed and filled in all of the gaps of the book above.

Also taking a ride on the T from end to end in the South Hills to the city, Bus routes(maps) helps to start to make some sense of it all.

Most importantly make a few friends from the area and have them drive you around and show you what is where and how to get there. It is a very confusing area, but well worth it once it all starts making some sense.

I moved further upstate for my job, but miss the city a lot. A trip up Mt. Washington on a nice clear day can help put some things into perspective as well. Enjoy.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:02 PM

353 posts, read 1,104,791 times
Buy a GPS.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:37 PM

522 posts, read 1,173,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghREA View Post
Buy a GPS.
Excellent suggestion. Nothing is arranged on a grid around here, roads go for miles to end up right back where they started.

Start in, well, Moon since that's where you live!... Hit up the new Primanti's on University Blvd and Wings Suds & Spuds is a local favorite dive. Head down Univeristy the opposite direction and over the Sewickley Bridge and check out the town of Sewickley...great Creamery there amongst many other quaint little shops. House-gauking is fun there too (Mario Lemieux, Lynn Swan, and the like live there). Robinson Twp (the next exit East on Rt 22/30) offers all the big box suburbian utopia that you could ever ask for. If you're going to be venturing into the city, first on my list would be to hit-up the Strip District on a Saturday morning. It would be hard to get lost doing that if you take 65 the whole way in (take the first exit off the Ft. Duquesne Bridge, follow the 10th St. Bypass until you pass the Convention Center, turn left onto Smallman and you are there) and whole way back. Taking 65 would also run you by the edge of Sewickley, Emsworth, Bellevue, and Brighton Heights along the way if nothing else just to explore a little. If you let me know what you like, I could come up with a few hundred more suggestions.

Cap

Old 08-09-2007, 09:18 AM

255 posts, read 764,713 times
Lightbulb The Absolute First Thing

THe absolute first thing you must do is to go out and buy a #43 Troy Polamalu jersey.

Everyone else wears them here, and if you don't have one on you at all times, you'll be branded the outsider that you are and possibly chased by someone who's brandishing a stick.

Seriously though, buy a good map and drive around. That's the way I did it and I usually don't have any trouble getting around.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
Excellent suggestion. Nothing is arranged on a grid around here, roads go for miles to end up right back where they started.

Start in, well, Moon since that's where you live!... Hit up the new Primanti's on University Blvd and Wings Suds & Spuds is a local favorite dive. Head down Univeristy the opposite direction and over the Sewickley Bridge and check out the town of Sewickley...great Creamery there amongst many other quaint little shops. House-gauking is fun there too (Mario Lemieux, Lynn Swan, and the like live there). Robinson Twp (the next exit East on Rt 22/30) offers all the big box suburbian utopia that you could ever ask for. If you're going to be venturing into the city, first on my list would be to hit-up the Strip District on a Saturday morning. It would be hard to get lost doing that if you take 65 the whole way in (take the first exit off the Ft. Duquesne Bridge, follow the 10th St. Bypass until you pass the Convention Center, turn left onto Smallman and you are there) and whole way back. Taking 65 would also run you by the edge of Sewickley, Emsworth, Bellevue, and Brighton Heights along the way if nothing else just to explore a little. If you let me know what you like, I could come up with a few hundred more suggestions.

Cap
Thanks a ton,Cap. I hit up the new Primanti's yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised that the food is almost as good as the one in the strip. Since the weather's going to be (or supposed to be) nice this weekend, I'll probably take a drive down 65 and into the strip like you suggested. I also want to head up Mt.Washington and see the gorgeous scenery. So far, I've gotten lost at least every other time I've left the house, but to be honest, it's worth it. Everywhere I go, I enjoy. I can definitely see myself calling this place home. I guess it's hard to say what I like since I'm trying to be open to literally everything here. I've done everything from the Zoo, to a Pirates game, to Station Square. I guess my main goal right now is for me to know where the heck I'm at at all times,haha.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elder18 View Post
THe absolute first thing you must do is to go out and buy a #43 Troy Polamalu jersey.

Everyone else wears them here, and if you don't have one on you at all times, you'll be branded the outsider that you are and possibly chased by someone who's brandishing a stick.
haha I can only imagine. luckily, I grew up a diehard Pittsburgh sports fan, so I'm sure I fit right in already in that department.

Old 08-11-2007, 02:08 PM

30 posts, read 73,992 times
Pittsburgh has great character - add the Southside to your list, both the original shops, restaurants, night spots, and then also the Southside Works. As far as getting around, new people really make use of the belt system. It's a little antiquated, but it works.

Old 08-11-2007, 04:32 PM

206 posts, read 484,719 times
My Pittsburgh navigation tip: when in doubt, go downhill. You'll always get to a major road at the bottom and can get your bearings from there. Also, note that in many cases you can't go back the way you came, so it's important to ask for directions out when you try to leave a place. Finally, if you need to ask directions ask someone younger if possible -- older people here often give hilarious (but not useful) directions that start out: "Well, you go down where the Isaly's used to be..." Of course, Isaly's hasn't been there for 35 years...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh