Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 07:32 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
It's not a big deal, I just thought it was a little misleading with the other discussion. I really expected downtown to be losing an event because of the $3 meters or 10pm enforcement or something. Glad that's not it.

I would call it a boneheaded city decision. But that's kinda long to put in the title. I suppose they might actually have a schedule conflict or something? Dunno. They usually do the rowing in the morning so I can't really imagine that big of a conflict, or what would be going on to displace this event which would be the 25th time they're holding it. So sounds pretty boneheaded.
Not sure why they won't let the parking there, but I am a little upset about it. I like when people come from other areas to see the city. Showing them Washington's Landing... well it is kind of nice, but not the city. If there is a conflict, I will report that. If it is just some bonehead thing, I will update that too. Will try and find out next week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 05:51 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Pittsburgh likes to shoot itself in the foot.
They'll whine about it later.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:02 AM

28 posts, read 30,823 times
The Lupus Foundation of Pennsylvania - Pittsburgh Events

Lupus Loop fundraising event is occurring on the North Shore on the same day at the Great Lawn and it starts in the AM.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey man_its me View Post
The Lupus Foundation of Pennsylvania - Pittsburgh Events

Lupus Loop fundraising event is occurring on the North Shore on the same day at the Great Lawn and it starts in the AM.
The Great Lawn is where all the tents and activities where in years past for the Head of the Ohio. There is a big difference in the two events. A rowing event must be on the river and in an area that can host lots of people. The Lupus event can be moved more easily for sure and to many locations. I think the main issue was the mass amount of parking taken up by large trailers that haul all the boats. The trailers are quite big because they all have 8 person boats on them.

I don't have a true opinion on this whole matter because I don't know all the facts. I am just disappointed because last year I was so proud of Pittsburgh with all those out of town'ers there. It was an amazing day and the city was sparkling to so many visitors. This year I won't have that same feeling of pride, but maybe I am just being selfish. I do love to show of our city.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:34 AM

674 posts, read 1,412,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
The Great Lawn is where all the tents and activities where in years past for the Head of the Ohio. There is a big difference in the two events. A rowing event must be on the river and in an area that can host lots of people. The Lupus event can be moved more easily for sure and to many locations. I think the main issue was the mass amount of parking taken up by large trailers that haul all the boats. The trailers are quite big because they all have 8 person boats on them.

I don't have a true opinion on this whole matter because I don't know all the facts. I am just disappointed because last year I was so proud of Pittsburgh with all those out of town'ers there. It was an amazing day and the city was sparkling to so many visitors. This year I won't have that same feeling of pride, but maybe I am just being selfish. I do love to show of our city.
Wonder if it's a matter of the Lupus event got there first? If Head of the Ohio was dragging its feet or slow to try to get it set up, perhaps the Lupus event just beat them to the punch.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:16 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,652,966 times
I'm guessing it's first come, first served. Ah well. Bad timing.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:04 PM

Wow, the Head of the Ohio has been going on for 25 years. I think the problem is the amount of parking the event takes up and now there are hotels and all kinds of things on the North Shore. Used to just be Three Rivers Stadium and 222 bar. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh