Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 01:53 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,954,579 times

Advertisements

I think they need to keep the under .500 thing going for an even 20 years. It is a nice round number and will look better in the record books that will be there for centuries or possibly till the end of time. What is really cool about the record it isn't just a baseball recored, it is a sports record. That is pretty impressive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 01:59 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,228,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I think they need to keep the under .500 thing going for an even 20 years. It is a nice round number and will look better in the record books that will be there for centuries or possibly till the end of time. What is really cool about the record it isn't just a baseball recored, it is a sports record. That is pretty impressive.
It is impressive in a pathetic kind of way. Furthermore, it is even more troubling in a great city like Pittsburgh with such loyal fans. This also might be the eleventh straight losing season at PNC Park, which was supposed to be the saviour for a small market like Pittsburgh.

The Pirates are averaging over 25,000 fans per game. That is very impressive for a smaller market like Pittsburgh, especially with a franchise that has had 18 losing seasons in a row. That number was achieved with a very small season ticket holder base. They are 19th in the league in attendance, but they were 27th out 30 teams by the end of May. They were continuously selling out that stadium and drawing well even on weekdays. Had they stayed in the pennant race, they could have gotten in the top 12 or 13 teams in attendance with around 30,000 per game. That would be some accomplisment. I expect those lofty numbers to die down and the average attendance to finish around 22,000 or so once September is complete. That would put the Pirates at around 23 or 24 out of 30 teams in the league. It just goes to show what can happen on the North Shore if the Buccos start winning.
http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance

Last edited by nuwaver88; 08-08-2011 at 02:12 PM..

Old 08-08-2011, 02:02 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
It is impressive in a pathetic kind of way. Furthermore, it is even more troubling in a great city like Pittsburgh with such loyal fans. This also might be the eleventh straight losing season at PNC Park, which was supposed to be the saviour for a small market like Pittsburgh.
It is a shame. The Pirates are one of the oldest teams with such a rich history. Too bad the owners don't have pride, they are just milking the team. Oh well, we still have the Pens and the Steelers.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:18 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,228,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
It is a shame. The Pirates are one of the oldest teams with such a rich history. Too bad the owners don't have pride, they are just milking the team. Oh well, we still have the Pens and the Steelers.
While the Pirates were at the top of the standings, I was kind of hoping that the NFL lockout would continue, so Yinzer Steeler fans would be forced to pay attention to the Buccos.

Note: I know not all Steeler fans are Yinzers. I am a huge Steeler fan myself. I was just making a point. Yes, you can be a fan of all Pittburgh sport teams. There. I said it for you.

Last edited by nuwaver88; 08-08-2011 at 02:26 PM..

Old 08-08-2011, 02:23 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,810,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hempfield mania View Post
Their season seemed to "jump the shark" on that one call at the plate in Atlanta.

How you can go from first place to 4th place and 10 games back in a week and a half is beyond me. Even the bad news bears couldn't start off playing that bad....
it does seem that way. heck, they even tried to bolster the roster with lee and ludwick but the pitching just crapped out, all of a sudden and all together. jose reyes to the pirates next year?

Old 08-08-2011, 08:00 PM

89 posts, read 202,366 times
Hang in there Bucs faithful, you've got a promising team and will face a struggling Giants team and maybe things will turn around

Old 08-08-2011, 09:11 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca2pitt View Post
Hang in there Bucs faithful, you've got a promising team and will face a struggling Giants team and maybe things will turn around
As long as we are in a super weak division, we can do okay. Maybe next year we will get to the .500 mark, or make it 20 years and then we will be .500. We need a weaker division. Oh yeah, we are in the worst division already. lol

Old 08-09-2011, 07:31 AM

for a night anyway, things went according to plan
Quote:
[LEFT]Charlie Morton harnessed the same effectiveness he had when he pitched seven scoreless innings against the Chicago Cubs Wednesday. He pitched eight scoreless innings and allowed six hits and three walks, striking out four...[LEFT]The Pirates struck out three times in the first inning, but also scored twice. Garrett Jones doubled on the first pitch of the at-bat. Neil Walker doubled, also on the first pitch, and scored Jones. Ryan Ludwick's single scored Walker to give the Pirates a 2-0 lead...[LEFT]Jones singled in the fifth, his third hit of the game, and stole second. He scored on Ludwick's RBI single and put the Pirates ahead 4-0. Ludwick went 2 for 3 with two RBIs in the game, and Derrek Lee, the other new addition, went 1 for 4 with a triple. He missed four consecutive games due to a left hand contusion he received when he got hit by a pitch but started at first base Monday.

Read more: Pirates' skid ends at 10 with 5-0 win
[/LEFT]
[/LEFT]
[/LEFT]

Old 08-09-2011, 10:15 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,525,310 times
I really don't blame the owners. It really is just the economics of baseball. At least we are finally spending money on the draft. This is the really the only way we are ever going to improve. At some point though we have to draft a bat. Maybe in a few years after we draft a few more pitchers we can get around to drafting a bat.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
I really don't blame the owners. It really is just the economics of baseball. At least we are finally spending money on the draft. This is the really the only way we are ever going to improve. At some point though we have to draft a bat. Maybe in a few years after we draft a few more pitchers we can get around to drafting a bat.
I don't know if it's that simple. St Louis averages 38k fans a game and the metro isn't that much larger. in fact, as we've seen this year, the pirates can draw more fans if they play well (unlike, say, tampa or miami who can't draw no matter how they play). I don't know how they'll finish but the pirates are averaging 25k and are out of the bottom 10 in attendance (I also think attendance would get a boost if they were in the NL east). if the pirates put together a decent team, they'd probably pull decent numbers. furthermore, this year, the team was a buyer, bringing in lee and ludwick. it hasn't worked (for reasons not entirely the fault of those players), but it shouldn't be overlooked that the owners actually went out and tried to improve the team. so it seems that if the play well and people show up, the owners are willing to support the team
also of interest
http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2011...t-spend-money/

though if you look at percent of capacity, boston jumps to #2 and the yanks fall to #7, the giants move up to 3 (the pirates move up from 19 to 16)
http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance/_/sort/homePct
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh