Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 02:27 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,075,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Depends what you are into. FC has some beautiful parks. Most belong to private clubs and the clubs that are here are some of the best in the state. I love the FC Racket Club and FC Golf Club the best. An area with an average income as posted below will live very differently. Mt. Lebo is poverty in comparison. If you are making close to $200K a year, you probably are enjoying a luxury private club, not some public swimming pool.

Income Mt. Leb = $43,754
Fox Chapel = $182,000+
Mt. Lebanon is also way more urban than Fox Chapel and has tons of apartments on the market that bring down median income for the rest of the neighborhood. Does Fox Chapel even have any apartment buildings?

Also note the population difference... Mt. Lebanon has over six times the population of Fox Chapel in a smaller land area. Basically, this is like comparing apples to oranges. Fox Chapel and Sewickley Heights would make for a better comparison. They are both very rural suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 08:37 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,802,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
Also note the population difference... Mt. Lebanon has over six times the population of Fox Chapel in a smaller land area. Basically, this is like comparing apples to oranges. Fox Chapel and Sewickley Heights would make for a better comparison. They are both very rural suburbs.
True. I think Sewickley Heights is fantastic and they have a nice downtown to enjoy. In many ways it is nicer than Fox Chapel IMHO, but FC has a little better school and faster to get to the East End and downtown.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:54 PM

17 posts, read 38,788 times
Default Get your facts straight

Quote:
Depends what you are into. FC has some beautiful parks. Most belong to private clubs and the clubs that are here are some of the best in the state. I love the FC Racket Club and FC Golf Club the best. An area with an average income as posted below will live very differently. Mt. Lebo is poverty in comparison. If you are making close to $200K a year, you probably are enjoying a luxury private club, not some public swimming pool.

Income Mt. Leb = $43,754
Fox Chapel = $182,000+
The income for Mt. Lebanon was misquoted. Sorry, but it's wrong. Check the stats before you shoot off your mouth. The median income for a family was estimated at $98,731 in 2007. And, by the way, the Mt. Lebanon School District is way better than Fox Chapel. PSSA and SAT scores are consistently better at Mt. Lebanon...so are the overall services in general.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:11 PM

17 posts, read 38,788 times
Default If you're just driving thru Mt. Lebanon, you're missing alot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Golf09 View Post
I didn't realize it was that high. Over $7k in taxes for a mediocre $200k house is just disgusting. I drive through Mt.Lebo everyday for work and it's nice, but not THAT nice. Someone would have to be nuts to pay those kinds of taxes. There are plenty of good school districts that don't cost so much, like Hempfield, Seneca Valley, Franklin Regional, Mars, Peters Twp, etc. Mt. Lebo can keep their walkable neighborhood and lame coffee shops. Apparently, being progressive is quite expensive. Imagine that.
There is way more to Mt. Lebanon than the drive down Washington and Cochran Roads. Having said that, you get what you pay for. Where are you coming from? Let me guess...somewhere out Rt. 19 from a vinyl sided house. I'll take a historic, stone tudor in a community that has a national reputation for excellence than where you live. Another guess...you have a plow in front of your pick-up for snowy days.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:54 AM

674 posts, read 1,406,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmkeast52 View Post
There is way more to Mt. Lebanon than the drive down Washington and Cochran Roads. Having said that, you get what you pay for. Where are you coming from? Let me guess...somewhere out Rt. 19 from a vinyl sided house. I'll take a historic, stone tudor in a community that has a national reputation for excellence than where you live. Another guess...you have a plow in front of your pick-up for snowy days.
You're not exactly a glowing advertisement for Mt. Lebanon.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:29 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,456,700 times
Quote:
I think Dormont has to have the highest taxes in Allegheny County. If you have a $100K home, you will pay $4K plus a year in taxes! I have never seen a tax that high! After seeing that, I will NEVER recommend Dormont as a place to live. That is just too much tax.

That's why I left, why pay that much for mediocre services at best.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:35 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
That's why I left, why pay that much for mediocre services at best.
When I first saw that, I thought it was a misprint, so I posted it. Guess it is real. That is the highest I have ever seen. $200K property = $8K a year! There won't be much in the way of home appreciation in that area.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:54 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,456,700 times
Quote:
When I first saw that, I thought it was a misprint, so I posted it. Guess it is real. That is the highest I have ever seen. $200K property = $8K a year! There won't be much in the way of home appreciation in that area.
The killer is the boro millage, around 10, most twps/boros are in the 3-4 range. Must be some major graft going on. Where would you rather live, in a 200K house in Lebo or one in Dormont?

Old 07-11-2011, 10:51 PM

137 posts, read 273,182 times
Re: Mt. Lebanon - More important than the millage is how your house is assessed, though! We saw a $300k house w/ $10k taxes, and (online) houses that were 2x as expensive with only $12k in taxes.

I'm pretty sure from my house hunting research that the people who set the assessed values live in Virginia Manor and or have houses for sale over the $500k mark. []

Old 07-12-2011, 06:40 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomerJen View Post
Re: Mt. Lebanon - More important than the millage is how your house is assessed, though! We saw a $300k house w/ $10k taxes, and (online) houses that were 2x as expensive with only $12k in taxes.

I'm pretty sure from my house hunting research that the people who set the assessed values live in Virginia Manor and or have houses for sale over the $500k mark. []
It is like that everywhere in our region. If a home sells they have proof of its worth in court if they want to reassess you. If it has been in the family for a few decades then it is harder to prove its value in court, so the assessment might be much lower than that recent home sale next door.

Things might level out if the Allegheny County reassessment happens. Of course they will be picking numbers out of the air since there were just a few people reassessing and most of them probably had no idea what the market is like in each neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh