Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 02:17 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times

Advertisements

Highmark sues UPMC over "misleading" ad campaign:

http://post-gazette.com/pg/11194/1160130-100-0.stm

Continues to be a repeat of 10 years ago, when this also happened.

Also, the state may intervene:

http://post-gazette.com/pg/11194/1160130-100-0.stm

But that wouldn't happen until next year at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 05:49 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguins Fan View Post
Highmark is no cartel, and never has been. Highmark has faced insurance carrier competition in Western Pennsylvania for many years and is in direct competition with Capital Blue Cross in Central Pennsylvania.

UPMC operates a health care insurance plan in addition to their hospital network of more than 20 hospitals. Aetna, Health America, Cigna and United Health Care also offer health insurance coverage in Western Pennsylvania.

Ah, but emotions are so much easier to express than research.
Ah yes, how about a non-profit like Highmark doubling it's profit?

Profit doubles for health insurer Highmark | PennLive.com

While laying off 300 local workers and hiring contractors (read: no benefits):

Highmark seeks 220 more buyouts from workers

Not to shabby for a non-profit to buy out other hospitals:

Highmark, West Penn Allegheny Health System in talks | Pittsburgh Business Times

How about UPMC hurting care for patients to fill their own greed?:

Doctors: UPMC-Highmark split would hurt care

Or a non-profit like UPMC opening hospitals in Ireland, Italy, and Cyprus while closing down Braddock:

UPMC to run hospital on island of Cyprus - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Those are the real facts, and these companies are putting the health of you, me, our families and our friends at risk. But hey, must be my emotions getting in the way or something.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:01 PM

52 posts, read 75,548 times
Profit is a dirty word, isn't it, Carl?

I told everyone to obtain a copy of the Annual Report for each of the companies in question and examine them. Media types cannot be relied upon to get the facts straight.

Carl, I worked in DC for six years. If you believe those people can run health care better, you belong in a rubber room and a straitjacket.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:05 PM

780 posts, read 1,384,002 times
No matter what happens, UPMC and Highmark should lose their "tax free" status. That, right there, is one of PGH's biggest problems with tax revenue. Too many "not for profits" not paying their fair share for city services.

If they were truly "not for profit", then I could agree with their tax status but they obviously are out to make $.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:46 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguins Fan View Post
Profit is a dirty word, isn't it, Carl?

I told everyone to obtain a copy of the Annual Report for each of the companies in question and examine them. Media types cannot be relied upon to get the facts straight.

Carl, I worked in DC for six years. If you believe those people can run health care better, you belong in a rubber room and a straitjacket.
Hey, sounds like you're getting emotions in the way of facts.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:48 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
Of course Medicare and the VA both operate very efficiently and have high levels of satisfaction. But I digress.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:25 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,852,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Of course Medicare and the VA both operate very efficiently and have high levels of satisfaction. But I digress.
You're right Bri. In fact, Medicare sets most of the standards that all the private insurers follow.

It's probably one of the few, or maybe the only example of when a government program is actually run more efficiently than a private entity.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:29 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondee View Post
It's probably one of the few, or maybe the only example of when a government program is actually run more efficiently than a private entity.
There are actually a decent number of things that private entities just aren't particularly good at doing, which is more or less why we have governments at all. And when you try to do those things with private entities anyway, you often end up with inefficiencies (if you don't have a complete failure first).

And I think it is becoming increasing obvious that in a modern developed country, providing health insurance may have to be added to that list of things that private entities can't do very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh