U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-29-2011, 08:01 AM

10,732 posts, read 6,654,339 times
There is a different perspective to those of us that saw the Civic Arena being used as designed. I have been to concerts there with the lid off. If you haven't, you can't understand. Like nothing I have ever seen and very unique to anywhere in the world, yet it was in Pittsburgh. We sure were lucky! I remember John Cougar stoping mid song and just looking at the skyline. He was so impressed and of course I was so proud of my city for having such a creating right here in my hometown.

I don't expect people to understand if they never sat there when it opened. You have to experience it to understand it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 08:02 AM

20,274 posts, read 17,245,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
An end goal in my mind is to revitalize the entire area between downtown and Oakland. Developing the land on which the Arena sits is a first step towards that goal.
I completely agree. I envision a thriving mixed-use, mid-height area, sort of like the area around the Verizon Center in downtown DC. Meanwhile, low-rise restoration and infill projects could spread through Uptown and eventually the rest of the Hill--and some of that is already happening.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:04 AM

25,848 posts, read 44,078,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I envision a thriving mixed-use, mid-height area, sort of like the area around the Verizon Center in downtown DC.
That's what I also envision as being the best possible maximum return on that valuable real estate. I personally think the new grocery store being built on Centre Avenue in the Hill District is partly speculative, based upon the potential of having another 1,000+ housing units nearby once the Civic Arena site is redeveloped.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I personally think the new grocery store being built on Centre Avenue in the Hill District is partly speculative, based upon the potential of having another 1,000+ housing units nearby once the Civic Arena site is redeveloped.
Those are both certainly part of an overall master plan for the Hill.

That said, there are a lot more projects going on in the Hill already than people seem to realize.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:34 AM

10,732 posts, read 6,654,339 times
If they want Hill residents on that area, they are going to need some section 8 high rises in place of the Arena. It shouldn't be a high end area, it should cater to the Hill itself. Maybe they could do a plan like Terrance on that site?

Old 06-29-2011, 08:41 AM

25,848 posts, read 44,078,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
If they want Hill residents on that area, they are going to need some section 8 high rises in place of the Arena. It shouldn't be a high end area, it should cater to the Hill itself. Maybe they could do a plan like Terrance on that site?
Why? Crawford Square is a success story, and my partner and I would be interested in living in a similar development (perhaps higher density) on the Civic Arena site. We're not "Section 8". We're both employed full-time and can just barely make ends meet.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:41 AM

889 posts, read 627,829 times
I've always been all for the demolition of the Civic Arena since the beginning. But--if they "save" anything to act as a "landmark," I think it would be cool to save the large black support beam. I know NOTHING about the engineering of pulling something like that off, but it would be cool to have just the black beam as a symbol in or around a development...similar to how the old Bessemer Converter is the symbol of the fountains and Bessemer Court at Station Square.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:11 AM

I think the idea is more to provide job opportunities and amenities for existing Hill residents, rather than a place for them to relocate to.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:16 AM

878 posts, read 892,310 times
I hope first and foremost they find a way to mitigate the impact of the Crosstown Boulevard, at least as much as possible. That is as much of a barrier between the Hill and town as the arena is. Perhaps cover over the highway in the Centre/Bedford/Bigelow area (where the highway is recessed) and create some sort of public plaza there. Not sure if the current work on the Centre Ave bridge means this is out of the plans completely or not.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:37 PM

8,114 posts, read 6,830,656 times
It was a great venue, but things change. I have a ton of memories from that place, but it's time to move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh