Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 03:54 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times

Advertisements

I don't think most people will lose too much sleep if someone is killed while in the process of committing a crime; I do think, however, most people would be concerned if someone who was doing nothing wrong was killed and the killer was then not prosecuted.
We're not talking about the state taking a life after a long trial, weighing all the facts, we are talking about someone making a split second decision as to whether their life is possibly in danger. If the latter results in the death of someone committing a criminal activity that would not otherwise be a death penalty offense I guess they should have thought of that before choosing to commit said activity. I for one could care less that they end up 6 feet under.
If an innocent person was killed because of the law, I would be the first against it, but that does seem to be the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 04:04 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,058,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
(2.3) An actor who is not engaged in a criminal activity, who is not in illegal possession of a firearm and who is attacked in any place where the actor would have a duty to retreat under paragraph (2)(ii), has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his ground and use force, including deadly force, if:

(i) the actor has a right to be in the place where he was attacked;

(ii) the actor believes it is immediately necessary to do so to protect himself against death, serious bodily injury, kidnapping or sexual intercourse by force or threat; and

(iii) the person against whom the force is used displays or otherwise uses:

(A) a firearm or replica of a firearm as defined in 42 Pa.C.S. § 9712 (relating to sentences for offenses committed with firearms); or

(B) any other weapon readily or apparently capable of lethal use.
I know Pennsylvania is after the film business, but do we really have to give actors so many special rights?

Old 06-29-2011, 04:07 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,092,577 times
As was stated earlier in the thread, other states have similar laws, and the streets have yet to run red with blood. This new law hardly gives people blanket immunity to kill, one still has to act reasonably.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:14 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
As was stated earlier in the thread, other states have similar laws, and the streets have yet to run red with blood. This new law hardly gives people blanket immunity to kill, one still has to act reasonably.
but now that we've legalized four hour happy hours up to 14 hours a week all hell could break loose soon!!

Old 06-29-2011, 04:15 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I don't think most people will lose too much sleep if someone is killed while in the process of committing a crime
Then why don't we have the death penalty for every crime? And why all this mumbo-jumbo about people protecting themselves against threats of death, injury, or rape?

Quote:
We're not talking about the state taking a life after a long trial, weighing all the facts, we are talking about someone making a split second decision as to whether their life is possibly in danger.
So which is it? Is it OK for a private citizen to kill someone just because they are committing a crime, or is it only OK for a private citizen to kill someone if they are threatening death and such?

Old 06-29-2011, 04:25 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
As was stated earlier in the thread, other states have similar laws, and the streets have yet to run red with blood.
You know, a lot of people are in fact killed or injured in things like bar fights. It is going to be very hard to prove empirically what role self-defense laws are playing in the outcome of bar fights and such, but it is not like they never happen.

Quote:
This new law hardly gives people blanket immunity to kill, one still has to act reasonably.
But that is the precise issue we have been discussing.

For some cases under the new law, you won't actually have to be acting reasonably, because you will be entitled to a legal presumption that you were acting reasonably. It was the old law that required you to actually be acting reasonably.

For other cases, the new law says that if the other person is displaying a weapon, including a firearm, that eliminates your duty to retreat as a matter of law. Remember, the duty to retreat only applies if you could retreat with complete safety. So now, even if you could retreat with complete safety, you don't have to if the other person is displaying a weapon.

Again, I honestly don't see why pro-gun people think that change is a great idea. They are subjecting themselves to a greater risk of being killed in an altercation than people who don't carry guns.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:49 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times
Quote:
Then why don't we have the death penalty for every crime? And why all this mumbo-jumbo about people protecting themselves against threats of death, injury, or rape?
You won't get the death penalty for raping someone; so in your view if someone breaks into another person's home, and intending only to rape the victim, and announces said intent upon entering just so its clear that only rape is on the table, the victim should probably just let them do it rather than kill the perp if the chance is there since the death penalty doesnt cover that crime.

Quote:
So which is it? Is it OK for a private citizen to kill someone just because they are committing a crime, or is it only OK for a private citizen to kill someone if they are threatening death and such?
Its both; it is ok for a private citizen to kill someone who is committing a crime that someone feels could potentially result in their death. This could be a simple breaking and entering as you have no idea what the person is actually up to. Why anyone would find sympathy for someone killed for 'merely' breaking into another's home, regardless of actual violent intent, is beyond me.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:57 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,094,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
You won't get the death penalty for raping someone; so in your view if someone breaks into another person's home, and intending only to rape the victim, and announces said intent upon entering just so its clear that only rape is on the table, the victim should probably just let them do it rather than kill the perp if the chance is there since the death penalty doesnt cover that crime.

Its both; it is ok for a private citizen to kill someone who is committing a crime that someone feels could potentially result in their death. This could be a simple breaking and entering as you have no idea what the person is actually up to. Why anyone would find sympathy for someone killed for 'merely' breaking into another's home, regardless of actual violent intent, is beyond me.
The problem with both of these instances is that the existing law already permitted the shooting that everybody so eagerly seems to want to happen.

The necessity and rationale behind these new changes are what I question.

The Pope might be on to something with his warning on the "culture of death".

Old 06-29-2011, 06:21 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,092,577 times
Quote:
You know, a lot of people are in fact killed or injured in things like bar fights. It is going to be very hard to prove empirically what role self-defense laws are playing in the outcome of bar fights and such, but it is not like they never happen.

But that is the precise issue we have been discussing.

For some cases under the new law, you won't actually have to be acting reasonably, because you will be entitled to a legal presumption that you were acting reasonably. It was the old law that required you to actually be acting reasonably.
Yes, but one can't be engaging in any illegal active, or instigate the altercation, and still be justified in using lethal force under the new law. So, one still needs to be actually acting reasonably.

Quote:
For other cases, the new law says that if the other person is displaying a weapon, including a firearm, that eliminates your duty to retreat as a matter of law. Remember, the duty to retreat only applies if you could retreat with complete safety. So now, even if you could retreat with complete safety, you don't have to if the other person is displaying a weapon.
The new law recognizes the fact that once a weapon capable of inflicting lethal force has been introduced into an altercation, the ability to safely retreat is greatly reduced, and therefore removes the duty to do so. The law also recognizes that once a lethal weapon has been introduced, the situation has become so dangerous that lethal force should be justified.

Quote:
Again, I honestly don't see why pro-gun people think that change is a great idea. They are subjecting themselves to a greater risk of being killed in an altercation than people who don't carry guns.
I don't agree with you on that, but even if it were true, I would be happy to take my chances.

I don't see why anti-gun people would be against this (or anyone else), as I believe that people would rather not use lethal force against another person, even if it is legally justified.

Last edited by stburr91; 06-29-2011 at 06:34 PM..

Old 06-29-2011, 09:05 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
So would you favor the death penalty for property crimes?
I said you don't **** with people on their own property. If you kick in somebody's door, then it's reasonable to assume that you have malicious intent, so if you get shot, then I have no sympathy for you. You kicked in the door and somebody was home, so you paid the price.

I don't think anybody should be put to death for property crimes, but I do think arson should punished more severely than it is since it's attempted murder, and it also ruins everything that people have worked for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh