Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 03:02 AM

567 posts, read 1,161,279 times

Advertisements

I don't know anything about Aliquippa, really, but just for the record, some handy stats from Wiki:
Quote:
The racial makeup of the city was 62.59% White, 35.52% African American, 0.07% Native American, 0.18% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 0.18% from other races, and 1.43% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.00% of the population. {source}
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 02:49 PM

22,565 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Internet Superman View Post

You are talking about a 90% black community

Woah.. you are WAY off there!

Aliquippa has its good areas and bad areas... much like many other ex-steel-mill towns.

I was raised there and still have family there. They choose to stay.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:34 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,202,032 times
I'm in Hopewell, but have an Aliquippa postal address.

Yeah, there's not much motivation to go to downtown Aliquippa, but I don't fear passing through there, and I really don't have any reason at all to go to Plan(whichever), but there's nothing wrong with the surrounding areas, and I think the criticism of the "bad" areas is exaggerated...

Old 12-01-2009, 07:48 PM

2 posts, read 3,829 times
Ok???! I guess..although those things might be true...the community is very supportive of the scholars and athletes of their school...have you ever been to a football game or other sporting event??? The turn out is always huge no matter if its raining or hailing ...that community loves each other nd bans together against everything nd everybody..now wouldnt yu want that type of environment for your kids???

Old 06-11-2010, 08:08 PM

2 posts, read 5,815 times
Default Offended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Internet Superman View Post
My sister taught school there and lived across the river in Ambridge and every day at the end of school she prayed that she would be able to get out of town with her life.

You are talking about a 90% black community and very few positive role models.

There is nothing wrong with Rochester, Monaca, New Brighton and Beaver Falls.

Please don't hold the other posters opinion against us, but Aliquippa is a pretty dangerous place to live.

If it was my kid and I wanted to send her to school, I would send her to Quigley, regardless of what your religion is. A good education is very important these days.

In the city there is never many outdoors things to do within walking distance such as skiing or snowboarding. But you might could have a snow shoveling contest about the 3rd week in January.

Although Aliquippa may have its problems with crime, poverty and unemployement, I am VERY offended at your statement that there are very few positive role models here. NOT TRUE AT ALL! The problem is that newspapers and others in the county chose to only talk about the bad things that happen in Aliquippa. There are MAN"Y positive role models here and there are good things that happen here as well. Every time I've contacted the media to come here and witness the good things: they never show up. Others in surrounding towns only say negative things about Aliquippa and even when some of what they say is proven to be false, they refuse to alter their opinions. It's funny, Aliquippa seems to be good enough for people to work here, have their businesses here, use the towns crime stats and demographics to secure grants that don't benefit the children and the residents of the town; but not good enough i to find one kind thing to say about it. That's a form of crime in itself: exploitation of low-income minorities.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:22 PM

2 posts, read 5,815 times
Sorry to disappoint you but Aliquippa has no gangs. Ask Beaver County's District Attorney. Everyone in Aliquippa is not a criminal and there are many decent people who live here. Since when does being poor automatically make you a criminal? There are 25-30 people here who wreak havoc 80%-90% of the time. This can be verified by Aliquippa's Chief of Police. 25-30 people out of more than 11,000 residents. They wreak havoc and the media loves to report it, and people who don't live here love to talk about it as if everyone in Aliquippa is a criminal. Not right and not fair. I am not making this up. I work very closely with local law enforcement as my job is affiliated with the Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency. When Aliquippa gets its act together (and it will); you'll no longer have anything to talk about and you'll then have to turn your attention to the drug-abuse and crime happening in your communities.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:44 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,371,085 times
Is there any other town around with a worse reputation?

Old 06-12-2010, 11:04 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
I'm in Hopewell, but have an Aliquippa postal address.
It can be very confusing to an outsider as to what the "Aliquippa" area actually is. I used to live in Hopewell for awhile and like you said it was under often listed as "Aliquippa". Center and other various rural sections of Beaver County as listed as "Aliquippa" as well.

Center and Hopewell are actually really nice neighborhoods with nice people. However, once you get into "Quip Town" proper, that changes completely. Take a stroll down Franklin Avenue and it looks like something post-apocalyptic. Storefronts are boarded up on every ex business and there's just a post industrial decay all around. Not to mention, if you're white you won't be met with the warmest reception either.

If you want to see a huge difference between Hopewell and Quip Town, check out the annual Italian festival San Rocco. It's amazing that such vastly different classes of people can live in the same zip code.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:14 PM

12 posts, read 29,145 times
who told you aliquippa is nice? id say its one of the if not worse areas in western pennsylvania. lots of violence. two people have been shot and killed in past few weeks.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:23 PM

12 posts, read 29,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest Bob View Post
My sister taught school there and lived across the river in Ambridge and every day at the end of school she prayed that she would be able to get out of town with her life.

You are talking about a 90% black community and very few positive role models.

There is nothing wrong with Rochester, Monaca, New Brighton and Beaver Falls.

Please don't hold the other posters opinion against us, but Aliquippa is a pretty dangerous place to live.

If it was my kid and I wanted to send her to school, I would send her to Quigley, regardless of what your religion is. A good education is very important these days.

In the city there is never many outdoors things to do within walking distance such as skiing or snowboarding. But you might could have a snow shoveling contest about the 3rd week in January.
Beaver falls isnt much better but the others are ok
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh