Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 11:35 AM

2,887 posts, read 5,116,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
I'd like to remind everyone that it's up to a mod to decide whether someone is a troll or not, having an unpopular opinion does not always equal trolling. So let's focus on proving the op wrong if he is wrong, rather than making personal attacks
Yac.
the problem I have with the OP (post not poster) is that it starts with "the east side of Pittsburgh... a primarily depressed area" (wtf??), conveniently leaving out Squirrel Hill, Bloomfield, Lawrenceville, Friendship, Highland Park, Morningside, lumping together of Wilkinsburg/Edgewood/Swissvale with no mention of Regent Square, lumping together of the Hill and Oakland (??)... I could care less if a couple areas are missing, but then please don't include Lincoln, Bon Air!!

it's one thing to know there's crime in an area, but there's such a heavy focus on drugs that it makes the entire post useless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 11:51 AM

1 posts, read 2,408 times
Wasn't aware Shadyside Academy is located in Shadyside. Last time I was there (on Thursday) it was located in Fox Chapel.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:53 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,639,796 times
haha always nice to know that i live in a VERY VERY BAD NEIGHBORHOOD where no one should ever walk or drive! it's called hamnett place though, not hamlet place.

ok i'll go back to being constantly robbed and assaulted and shaping my way of life around gang activity now. hey wait a sec, the only time i've been the victim of a crime in this city is when i lived in greenfield. huh.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:26 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,362,530 times
Hold the phone... I know Hamlet Place is a subneighborhood of Wilkinsburg that is in an improving state, but still I don't think it's an area to walk around @ night. Well of corse only I can read my thoughts, but I didnt really say that Hamelet is a full blown ghetto, but it is apart of Central Wilkinsburg, which all together = ghetto... Do you kinda understand what I ment now./?
I understand that Hamlet Place is much safer and is in a differnt category than the Franklin or Park Triangle subneighborhoods, although again I still don't think it's a safe area to walk around @ night (because of the lingering riff-raff).

Old 07-05-2011, 04:07 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,059,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
Hold the phone... I know Hamlet Place is a subneighborhood of Wilkinsburg that is in an improving state, but still I don't think it's an area to walk around @ night. Well of corse only I can read my thoughts, but I didnt really say that Hamelet is a full blown ghetto, but it is apart of Central Wilkinsburg, which all together = ghetto... Do you kinda understand what I ment now./?
I understand that Hamlet Place is much safer and is in a differnt category than the Franklin or Park Triangle subneighborhoods, although again I still don't think it's a safe area to walk around @ night (because of the lingering riff-raff).
Uptown Kid,

I've seen you make references to a "Hamlet Place" in Wilkinsburg numerous times, FYI, it is Hamnett Place.

I've spoken to several people that live in Hamnett Place, and they agree that there is still a criminal element, but overall it is pretty safe, and getting better.

Old 07-05-2011, 04:24 PM

Thanx, though in the my last post I just typed Hamlet Place to PO groar...

Old 07-05-2011, 04:42 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,863,653 times
Everyone's been to Hamlet Place

Old 07-05-2011, 07:42 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,847,373 times
I saw on WPXI News today that there were 5 shootings last night in the 'Burgh! One in Bloomfield, one in East Hills and 3 in the Hill.
The 3 in the Hill were actually shot by pellet gun BBs but I guess that is still considered a shooting, nonetheless!

Old 07-05-2011, 08:34 PM

Yep plus on the 30th a shooting in 10th Ward aka Upper Larwanceville, and also a shooting & stabbing in Wilkinsburg not too long ago... This summer is hot!!!

Old 07-06-2011, 07:32 AM

32,606 posts, read 77,374,263 times
What is it about the heat that makes the animals turn even crazier? Why does Pittsburgh have more violent crime in the summer? Does the heat trigger a "must stab/shoot/maim someone" instinct within some of these people?

Also, where is Polish Hill, exactly? I always thought we were part of the East End, but nobody ever includes us when rattling off the East End neighborhoods. We're certainly NOT part of the Hill District, and we're not part of Downtown. The last I checked we also weren't part of the West End, South Side, South Hills, North Side, or North Hills, either. Are we officially in the Twilight Zone, or do other East Enders prefer to NOT include us because we're such a poor neighborhood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh