Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 09:05 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,186,759 times

Advertisements

I'd prefer it be left as a parking lot until something cool can be built as opposed to rushing a development that is sub-par. That is a neat little stretch of Penn with the condo conversions currently ongoing, especially across the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 11:19 AM

802 posts, read 1,321,261 times
Effort to develop former monastery in Philadelphia is met with opposition | Philadelphia Inquirer | 07/05/2011

I know this has nothing to do with buildings in Pittsburgh, but take a look at this beautiful building (former monastery) that a developer wants to tear down not too far from downtown. Then look at what he wants to replace it with.

Neighbors, with justification, are not happy.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:22 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,034,334 times
Wow, Debbie, those buildings in Philly are gorgeous and I hope they can be saved.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:34 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,131,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
That makes sense, considering Pittsburgh's long and storied history with razing architecturally-significant properties for more surface parking while other cities are simultaneously increasing density in their cores.
Don't count Atlanta among those cities.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:13 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,257,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallacus View Post
Looks like this:

Pittsburgh Opera Building

I wish it was the parking garage next door.

Even though you might not appreciate the 9th and Penn Parking Garage, it does provide a useful service for downtown workers as well as the residents in that part of town.

I don't think that the efforts to bring housing to the area would be as successful if new residents didn't have a convenient place to park their rides.

This is Pittsburgh, not Manhattan and most people do drive- especially those who move into the not so inexpensive Penn Garrison and other apts in town.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:20 PM

You know what I wish downtown had? Townhouses. You know, fifty years ago, downtown Pittsburgh still retained some of its original townhouses from the 19th century. There are still a few on Strawberry Way and in the Wharf section. Wouldn't it be cool if more historic-looking townhouse streets could be recreated downtown to complement the few that are left? I'm thinking of Center City Philly, Baltimore, and NYC, which have streets of modest homes in their downtown neighborhoods still.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:39 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,652,966 times
Aren't you talking about much larger areas overall in those cities though? If you count the North Side (former Allegheny City), there are townhouses. If you count the South Side there are lots. Plus you have Polish Hill, Uptown and the Hill and then Bloomfield and Lawrenceville plus some in the Strip if you insist upon them being on the same side of the river.

When you make this comparison with those cities that aren't squeezed by rivers and hills, it really doesn't pan out area-wise if you consider only downtown Pittsburgh. Yeah, sure, you could point out this such and such chunk of Philly that might have both office towers and more of a residential block than you can find that close together within the Golden Triangle, but I would argue that this is more possible in those places because if the wider amount of space they had to work with. If you gave Pittsburgh as much space, it would encompass some of the surrounding areas that we do not call "downtown".

Old 07-06-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Aren't you talking about much larger areas overall in those cities though? If you count the North Side (former Allegheny City), there are townhouses. If you count the South Side there are lots. Plus you have Polish Hill, Uptown and the Hill and then Bloomfield and Lawrenceville plus some in the Strip if you insist upon them being on the same side of the river.

When you make this comparison with those cities that aren't squeezed by rivers and hills, it really doesn't pan out area-wise if you consider only downtown Pittsburgh. Yeah, sure, you could point out this such and such chunk of Philly that might have both office towers and more of a residential block than you can find that close together within the Golden Triangle, but I would argue that this is more possible in those places because if the wider amount of space they had to work with. If you gave Pittsburgh as much space, it would encompass some of the surrounding areas that we do not call "downtown".
I realize that downtown Pittsburgh is compact. However, downtown Pittsburgh used to have residential districts, and still has a couple townhouses left. I was just trying to say that it would be cool to have a townhouse residential district (again) downtown. I realize this is unlikely to happen for many reasons.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:28 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,652,966 times
Well, if you could undo the lower Hill and Point State Park/Gateway Center....

Old 07-06-2011, 07:32 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,257,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Well, if you could undo the lower hill and Point State Park....
Mayor Lawrence grew up in the Point Neighborhood.

There was also an active residential neighborhood on Ross St. near 2nd Ave., which met its demise as more offices including the City County Bldg. and Morgue were erected there. Many of Pittsburgh's Chinese population was in that area, and a few buildings are left including the Chinatown Inn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh