Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 09:50 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,555,342 times

Advertisements

That old joke: a drinking town with a sports problem. Christ's manger would be bulldozed for a parking lot without a whimper, but anything connected to sports is sacred.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 09:56 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,802,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post
What a freakin' joke. It's a damn building, my goodness.
True and so are the churches like East Liberty Presbyterian and Saint Paul Cathedral in Oakland. They could be torn down as well.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlstreet View Post
I have yet to hear one decent re-use proposal from these groups.
We could use it as an actual arena. Fill the rink with sand, select a variety of public enemies (bus drivers, teachers, Poplawski, UPMC executives, etc.) and ship over the lions from the Zoo. Lucius Maximus, our bacchanalian praetor urbanus, could have a toga party.

Last edited by squarian; 07-07-2011 at 10:07 AM..

Old 07-07-2011, 10:06 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
You are consistently complaining that the Civic Arena will be demolished, h_curtis; however, I'd love to hear how the plans you personally have for reuse of the structure would be more beneficial to the city than the plans the Penguins have for the site once it is cleared.
What do the Penguins have to do with a Civic Center? The word "civic" in the case of that building was meant to be used for the people of the Pittsburgh region. There is no reason not to take the dumb scoreboard down and use the building as its original intent. Who cares about the Penguins when it comes to a civic building? Have times changed, so much that people forget buildings were not build only for a sports team and mass money generation, but build for arts, like music, plays and a host of other educational events. NOT JUST F'N SPORTS! Goodness how close-minded are people? To see a nice play, musical event under the stars weather permitting was an amazing experience. It was for the people of Pittsburgh, not for the Penguins. The Penguins used it, but there was more important event held there than just some sports team. Open your eyes to the arts a little. I know this is Pittsburgh and not Paris, but one would think people could at least imagine some form of art being held there for Pittsburgh residents. We are not all beer drinking slobs with Iron City wife beater shirts on. Some people actually enjoy other venues believe it or not. I think Pittsburgh is less of a town that revolves solely around sport these days than 15 years ago, but judging from what I read here, maybe I am wrong.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:07 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
That old joke: a drinking town with a sports problem. Christ's manger would be bulldozed for a parking lot without a whimper, but anything connected to sports is sacred.
I highly doubt the people fighting for the Civic Arena are doing so because of any sports team. Read my other post.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:10 AM

18,717 posts, read 30,969,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
We could use it as an actual arena. Fill the rink with sand, select a variety of public enemies (bus drivers, teachers, Poplawski, UPMC executives, etc.) and ship over the lions from the Zoo. Lucius Maximus, our bacchanalian praetor urbanus, could have a toga party.
LOL, or how about a monster truck rally with a Pittsburghian twist--cars jockeying for parking spaces while team members race to put chairs in the space? Monster truck vs. parking space chair--that would be fun to watch!

Old 07-07-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I highly doubt the people fighting for the Civic Arena are doing so because of any sports team. Read my other post.
Probably not, I agree - but IMO a great part of the public opinion supporting the masterminds on the streets, talk radio and so forth are doing so only because of the sports association.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
LOL, or how about a monster truck rally with a Pittsburghian twist--cars jockeying for parking spaces while team members race to put chairs in the space? Monster truck vs. parking space chair--that would be fun to watch!
LOL - excellent idea! But I'm fine with anything, as long as it involves sand, blood and at least as much public nudity as that Spartacus series.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:17 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,601,854 times
People hated the building then, now they are loving it. I think it's ugly.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:03 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,779,317 times
Concerts and such had stopped coming to the Arena because it is so outdated. It's the oldest building of it's type in the US, and is structurally obsolete. I guess we could be like Baltimore, which gets skipped by many major events because Baltimore Arena is so outdated. At least for them, DC is only an hour away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh