U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-07-2011, 04:53 PM

4,262 posts, read 3,894,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that412 View Post
Wasn't this the point of the AE Stage they just built outside Heinz Field?
Love that place! There's also the Trib Amp at Station Square.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 04:59 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,374,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
OK, before, I was joking about using it for gladiatorial games. But this time I'm serious.

We all know that Carson St is a mess of booze, boys, floozies, vomit and urine. Various neighbors periodically get rilled up about it, politicians make appropriate noises, but nothing really happens.

Well, how about moving all the liquor licenses on Carson into the Civic Arena - re-name it the Booz-A-Rama. Each bar could be allocated space inside, and they could save money by hiring bouncers for the entrances instead of each bar. Instead of cruising up and down the street, those so inclined could drive around and around in a circle. Even the drunkest pubcrawler can stagger from one side of a big circle to another. And the toilets were already prepared for massive amounts of beerpiss, so no need to pee on anyone's doorstep.

Best of all, the Civic Booz-A-Rama is actually closer to Duquesne!
Yeah, and the South Side can return to the "one step above the ghetto" type of neighborhood it was during the steel mill era.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:06 PM

26,087 posts, read 45,317,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallacus View Post
I don't really understand how the term 'historic' applies to a building built in the '60s
Ask this on the NoVA sub-forum. I did, and I was "owned".

Old 07-07-2011, 09:19 PM

3,449 posts, read 1,990,118 times
Quote:
OK, before, I was joking about using it for gladiatorial games. But this time I'm serious.

We all know that Carson St is a mess of booze, boys, floozies, vomit and urine. Various neighbors periodically get rilled up about it, politicians make appropriate noises, but nothing really happens.

If it was actually the perpetual sodom and gomorrah in the SouthSide that you described I dont think housing prices would be so high & continuing to rise in the area

Old 07-07-2011, 09:31 PM

4,690 posts, read 1,853,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
If it was actually the perpetual sodom and gomorrah in the SouthSide that you described I dont think housing prices would be so high & continuing to rise in the area
I thinking you're overlooking the fact that some people will pay a premium for what I described. Perhaps not the vomit and urine, but certainly the sodom and floozies.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:22 AM

11,093 posts, read 7,194,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
People like affordable places to live in convenient locations with lots of amenities and lots of jobs nearby. A small outdoor amphitheater somewhere in or around Downtown isn't a bad idea, but delegating this much land to such a purpose is a horrible idea.
Keep in mind Allegheny County has been losing tons of people over the past decade or so. It might be on the rebound, but lets not count our eggs before they hatch.

It is no secrete of love the Civic Arena and I enjoyed concerts there when they actually used it for its intended use. For those that never enjoyed that I can fully understand not understanding where I am coming from.

I am all about promoting Pittsburgh on a grand scale. Console does nothing for Pittsburgh other than it has more comfortable luxury boxes. The seats I have sat in there during hockey games are not better than the Civic Arena. They are just seats. The Lexus Club is okay, but it isn't anything to write home about. The place does nothing to promote Pittsburgh on a world scale. The Civic Arena could. Maybe people can't look at things on that big of a scale? It is all good and I know I already lost. It is gone and has been gone for many years. It is sad for me, but as I already knew people on here would love it gone. Pittsburgh does indeed love to tear things down.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:24 AM

11,093 posts, read 7,194,991 times
Quote:

Well, how about moving all the liquor licenses on Carson into the Civic Arena - re-name it the Booz-A-Rama. Each bar could be allocated space inside, and they could save money by hiring bouncers for the entrances instead of each bar. Instead of cruising up and down the street, those so inclined could drive around and around in a circle. Even the drunkest pubcrawler can stagger from one side of a big circle to another. And the toilets were already prepared for massive amounts of beerpiss, so no need to pee on anyone's doorstep.

Best of all, the Civic Booz-A-Rama is actually closer to Duquesne!
Excellent. Imagine all the drunks looking at the roof opening. They would think they are dreaming.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:51 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,374,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Keep in mind Allegheny County has been losing tons of people over the past decade or so. It might be on the rebound, but lets not count our eggs before they hatch.

It is no secrete of love the Civic Arena and I enjoyed concerts there when they actually used it for its intended use. For those that never enjoyed that I can fully understand not understanding where I am coming from.

I am all about promoting Pittsburgh on a grand scale. Console does nothing for Pittsburgh other than it has more comfortable luxury boxes. The seats I have sat in there during hockey games are not better than the Civic Arena. They are just seats. The Lexus Club is okay, but it isn't anything to write home about. The place does nothing to promote Pittsburgh on a world scale. The Civic Arena could. Maybe people can't look at things on that big of a scale? It is all good and I know I already lost. It is gone and has been gone for many years. It is sad for me, but as I already knew people on here would love it gone. Pittsburgh does indeed love to tear things down.
I went to many concerts at the Arena during it's heyday, some during which they opened the roof. It was cool, but the building is still functionally obsolete. The loading docks won't accommodate the large trucks used to transport the equipment used to put on modern musical productions. The passageways are way too small and narrow. There would be no way to bring the building up to current standards without seriously reducing the capacity. The building just doesn't meet current standards for a large public auditorium. I think cars from the 1950's are super cool, and look great. That doesn't change the fact that today's cars are vastly better, and that no one would really want to have to rely on a 57 Chevy to be their everyday car. That's basically what the Arena is. As for promoting Pittsburgh, the building has been here for 50 years. Where are the throngs of tourists?

Old 07-08-2011, 06:24 AM

18,717 posts, read 14,553,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Ask this on the NoVA sub-forum. I did, and I was "owned".
Aww, no need to feel "owned". You just asked a simple question and received a simple answer.

The answer, in a nutshell, is that something does not have to be old to have historic significance. Just like Apollo 11 has historic significance even though it, too, was built in the 1960s.

I'm not sure how that applies to the arena, however. Was the building part of a historic event? Does it represent an architectural "first"? It'll be interesting to see what arguments come up in this lawsuit.

For those who might be interested, other reasons why a building can receive a historic designation are listed in this thread:

Why is Reston's Lake Anne a "Historic District?"

Old 07-08-2011, 06:26 AM

20,274 posts, read 17,930,501 times
Of course it is the people who want to redevelop the Lower Hill into an awesome neighborhood next to Downtown who are thinking big. Thinking small is to believe the best Pittsburgh can do with all that land is a crappy amphitheater (which, as many have pointed out, has never proven to be a world-class draw, so that vision is nonsense).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh