Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 06:34 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,918,001 times

Advertisements

As predicted, having exhausted its possibilities through the City's historic designation process, Preservation Pittsburgh is now trying to save the Arena with a federal lawsuit:

Civic Arena advocates continue fight, file lawsuit

The legal issues are complicated enough that you never know what might happen, but my sense is that they are facing pretty long odds with respect to the eventual outcome. But as a delaying tactic, this might work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 06:46 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,179,956 times
I don't understand what the purpose of this long, drawn out battle is, especially when it is clearly a losing one? The only thing they've done successfully is waste taxpayer money, even more now with this lawsuit. I have yet to hear one decent re-use proposal from these groups.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:56 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,838,341 times
This was already planned on by the powerful people that are going to tear the arena down. It is business as usual and means nothing. It is torn down already and this delay will be a short one. The people trying to save the icon are throwing a tiny wrench into the final deal. No one is listening, but they are doing what is expected. It is a breath of fresh air that some group is that passionate about saving the icon, but anyone that is around this business enough, knows a wrecking ball is in the parking lot already.

No reason to complain about it or really make any comments. It is normal and if there are two sides to a demolition, it is always this way. Relax and just know this type of thing takes some time. The power people that are going to take it down are relaxed. They know they won and already knew this delay was going to happen. They don't care at all. Means nothing really.

Sure were different times back in the day when something like the Civic Arena was built for the people as a Civic building. Now it is all about how much money they can get out of anything they do. Console, PNC and Heinz are the names now. Used to be Three Rivers and Civic Arena. Gotta pay the sports players many millions and everything is elevating in expense to entertain the residents. It is interesting the progression of all this.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:58 AM

346 posts, read 535,672 times
I'm just bummed it's not going to be imploded.... Watching a building implode is fun and exciting... watching a building slowly being torn down bit by bit is kind of depressing.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:00 AM

32,606 posts, read 77,367,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
This was already planned on by the powerful people that are going to tear the arena down. It is business as usual and means nothing. It is torn down already and this delay will be a short one. The people trying to save the icon are throwing a tiny wrench into the final deal. No one is listening, but they are doing what is expected. It is a breath of fresh air that some group is that passionate about saving the icon, but anyone that is around this business enough, knows a wrecking ball is in the parking lot already.

No reason to complain about it or really make any comments. It is normal and if there are two sides to a demolition, it is always this way. Relax and just know this type of thing takes some time. The power people that are going to take it down are relaxed. They know they won and already knew this delay was going to happen. They don't care at all. Means nothing really.
You are consistently complaining that the Civic Arena will be demolished, h_curtis; however, I'd love to hear how the plans you personally have for reuse of the structure would be more beneficial to the city than the plans the Penguins have for the site once it is cleared.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:07 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,179,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
No reason to complain about it or really make any comments.
Sorry h_curtis, I'll make sure to check with you first before I comment on any future newsworthy items.

Quote:
Sure were different times back in the day when something like the Civic Arena was built for the people as a Civic building. Now it is all about how much money they can get out of anything they do. Console, PNC and Heinz are the names now. Used to be Three Rivers and Civic Arena. Gotta pay the sports players many millions and everything is elevating in expense to entertain the residents. It is interesting the progression of all this.
Can't really fault major league sports here. They saw a potential (endless) revenue stream and tapped it. As it turns out, it seems like fans are willing to pay just about anything to support a winning team, especially here in Pittsburgh. Only when we as fans are willing to say "enough" to paying outrageous ticket and merchandise prices will anything change. When that happens though, they will probably just threaten to move to another city!

Old 07-07-2011, 07:09 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,607,990 times
This is getting pointless and a waste of taxpayer's money.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:17 AM

18,717 posts, read 30,992,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlstreet View Post
I don't understand what the purpose of this long, drawn out battle is, especially when it is clearly a losing one?
To pay attorneys lots of $$$$$.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:23 AM

675 posts, read 2,091,643 times
As cited in the article:

"The Federal Highway Administration, according to the complaint, hasn't fulfilled its legal mandate to minimize harm to historic structures."

I don't really understand how the term 'historic' applies to a building built in the '60s

Old 07-07-2011, 08:39 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,549,212 times
What a freakin' joke. It's a damn building, my goodness. You would think Jesus was born there or the cure for cancer lies within this building. IMO, what's a damn shame is that people are so into saving a building, which solves nothing, yet we have real and actual problems in this city that no one is this proactive about. Sorry, I find it all extremely pathetic, a complete waste of time, energy, and money.

At this point, make it disappear with a big, "Oops!" overnight for all I care. Geez.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh