Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 02:04 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,213,972 times

Advertisements

It's coming down soon! The contract has been awarded.

Sports Authority awards contract to demolish Civic Arena
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 02:05 PM

814 posts, read 1,145,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
But ideas like this don't seem to have gone anywhere, perhaps because they lack much of a natural constituency (they don't give the Save the Igloo! people what they want, and would be burdensome for the developers).
Sadly, that's the feeling I seem to be getting too - the debate seems to be framed in black and white, between people who want to save the entire arena as-is and those who want to demolish everything and start from scratch. To me, the value of the arena doesn't lie necessarily in its pure historic merits or because of the sports connections, but rather, simply because it's iconic. It's something that's so uniquely Pittsburgh that I hate to see it just completely thrown away. I think something like the bowtie idea would be sufficient to remind everyone of what used to stand there without getting in the way of effectively design a new mixed-use space, but unfortunately, everyone seems to be trapped in this all-or-nothing mentality.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:11 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,841,904 times
Quote:
The land occupied and otherwise interfered with by the Arena is way too valuable to be wasted on a massive public auditorium. If that is the best re-use plan anyone can come up with--and I haven't seen any better--then it should go.
How do you figure that? There is a ton of space around the city and we can't fill it up now. Nothing wrong with something for the people and not something for big business and CEO's. Having a concert under the stars is a wonderful thing.

Look I know it is dead, but I see a great use for the place and that use is for the people that live here. It is a special place that can do something like no other.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:14 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzman66 View Post
It's coming down soon! The contract has been awarded.

Sports Authority awards contract to demolish Civic Arena
Wow another $3 million to take the place down. Ouch!

Old 07-07-2011, 02:16 PM
gg

Quote:
But ideas like this don't seem to have gone anywhere, perhaps because they lack much of a natural constituency (they don't give the Save the Igloo! people what they want, and would be burdensome for the developers).
It is probably much cheaper to tear the whole thing down. It isn't about art or having something cool, it is about money and building stuff for the rich.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:16 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,920,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that412 View Post
I think something like the bowtie idea would be sufficient to remind everyone of what used to stand there without getting in the way of effectively design a new mixed-use space, but unfortunately, everyone seems to be trapped in this all-or-nothing mentality.
Yeah, that is pretty much the problem. I should note I also think most people don't really care at all.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
How do you figure that? There is a ton of space around the city and we can't fill it up now.
Things are rapidly changing, particularly in and around Downtown. This redevelopment project is going to take awhile--probably more than ten years from the time they start demo--but by that time I am quite confident there won't be anyone questioning there is a market for high-value uses of this land.

Quote:
Nothing wrong with something for the people and not something for big business and CEO's.
People like affordable places to live in convenient locations with lots of amenities and lots of jobs nearby. A small outdoor amphitheater somewhere in or around Downtown isn't a bad idea, but delegating this much land to such a purpose is a horrible idea.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:31 PM

814 posts, read 1,145,813 times
Quote:
A small outdoor amphitheater somewhere in or around Downtown isn't a bad idea, but delegating this much land to such a purpose is a horrible idea.
Wasn't this the point of the AE Stage they just built outside Heinz Field?

Old 07-07-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by that412 View Post
Wasn't this the point of the AE Stage they just built outside Heinz Field?
Excellent point. It has a nice outdoor section, with great views.

Edit: Here you go:

Old 07-07-2011, 03:36 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,559,838 times
OK, before, I was joking about using it for gladiatorial games. But this time I'm serious.

We all know that Carson St is a mess of booze, boys, floozies, vomit and urine. Various neighbors periodically get rilled up about it, politicians make appropriate noises, but nothing really happens.

Well, how about moving all the liquor licenses on Carson into the Civic Arena - re-name it the Booz-A-Rama. Each bar could be allocated space inside, and they could save money by hiring bouncers for the entrances instead of each bar. Instead of cruising up and down the street, those so inclined could drive around and around in a circle. Even the drunkest pubcrawler can stagger from one side of a big circle to another. And the toilets were already prepared for massive amounts of beerpiss, so no need to pee on anyone's doorstep.

Best of all, the Civic Booz-A-Rama is actually closer to Duquesne!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh