U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 06:34 AM

20,273 posts, read 25,987,238 times

Advertisements

As predicted, having exhausted its possibilities through the City's historic designation process, Preservation Pittsburgh is now trying to save the Arena with a federal lawsuit:

Civic Arena advocates continue fight, file lawsuit

The legal issues are complicated enough that you never know what might happen, but my sense is that they are facing pretty long odds with respect to the eventual outcome. But as a delaying tactic, this might work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 06:46 AM

1,122 posts, read 1,624,972 times
I don't understand what the purpose of this long, drawn out battle is, especially when it is clearly a losing one? The only thing they've done successfully is waste taxpayer money, even more now with this lawsuit. I have yet to hear one decent re-use proposal from these groups.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:17 AM

18,717 posts, read 23,592,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlstreet View Post
I don't understand what the purpose of this long, drawn out battle is, especially when it is clearly a losing one?
To pay attorneys lots of $$$$$.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:23 AM

673 posts, read 1,723,185 times
As cited in the article:

"The Federal Highway Administration, according to the complaint, hasn't fulfilled its legal mandate to minimize harm to historic structures."

I don't really understand how the term 'historic' applies to a building built in the '60s

Old 07-07-2011, 09:06 PM

29,084 posts, read 61,248,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallacus View Post
I don't really understand how the term 'historic' applies to a building built in the '60s
Ask this on the NoVA sub-forum. I did, and I was "owned".

Old 07-08-2011, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Ask this on the NoVA sub-forum. I did, and I was "owned".
Aww, no need to feel "owned". You just asked a simple question and received a simple answer.

The answer, in a nutshell, is that something does not have to be old to have historic significance. Just like Apollo 11 has historic significance even though it, too, was built in the 1960s.

I'm not sure how that applies to the arena, however. Was the building part of a historic event? Does it represent an architectural "first"? It'll be interesting to see what arguments come up in this lawsuit.

For those who might be interested, other reasons why a building can receive a historic designation are listed in this thread:

Why is Reston's Lake Anne a "Historic District?"

Old 07-07-2011, 08:57 AM

4,690 posts, read 3,356,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlstreet View Post
I have yet to hear one decent re-use proposal from these groups.
We could use it as an actual arena. Fill the rink with sand, select a variety of public enemies (bus drivers, teachers, Poplawski, UPMC executives, etc.) and ship over the lions from the Zoo. Lucius Maximus, our bacchanalian praetor urbanus, could have a toga party.

Last edited by squarian; 07-07-2011 at 09:07 AM..

Old 07-07-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
We could use it as an actual arena. Fill the rink with sand, select a variety of public enemies (bus drivers, teachers, Poplawski, UPMC executives, etc.) and ship over the lions from the Zoo. Lucius Maximus, our bacchanalian praetor urbanus, could have a toga party.
LOL, or how about a monster truck rally with a Pittsburghian twist--cars jockeying for parking spaces while team members race to put chairs in the space? Monster truck vs. parking space chair--that would be fun to watch!

Old 07-07-2011, 09:13 AM

4,690 posts, read 3,356,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
LOL, or how about a monster truck rally with a Pittsburghian twist--cars jockeying for parking spaces while team members race to put chairs in the space? Monster truck vs. parking space chair--that would be fun to watch!
LOL - excellent idea! But I'm fine with anything, as long as it involves sand, blood and at least as much public nudity as that Spartacus series.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:38 AM

27 posts, read 33,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
I really hope you are kidding. Teachers - a public enemy????
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh