U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 08:28 PM

25,998 posts, read 44,972,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
FUN to be sure.

Less wear and tear on the brakes; better gas mileage; great in the snow; and chicks dig guys that drive sticks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Manuals are more economical on the gasoline, and traditionally have cost considerably less than an automatic as well.

I used to drive an 87 Sprint with a 5 speed and got 50 mpg.
Thank you for the quick responses. I've never handled a stick before (cue the gay jokes), but for the life of me I always thought to myself "Why would someone WANT to always be shifting gears and using a clutch like that? It seems like a lot of unnecessary work." I had no idea there were such great economic advantages in terms of fuel efficiency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 08:33 PM

57 posts, read 50,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
What is the benefit of having a manual transmission instead of an automatic transmission? I'm honestly just curious.
I've always driven a manual. Right now it's advantageous because I do a lot of offroad mountain driving and its a lot easier on the brakes and you have more control on engine revs.
For general city driving though, an automatic is way more convenient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondee
I just bought a brand new car last week with a manual trans- yep they still make them!
Where did you find it and what sort of car is it? I'm moving to Pgh soon and am starting to look at what sort of car I want to get. Don't think I'll be doing the mountain driving I do here, but I got a soft spot for manuals since it's what I've always driven.

In terms of learning to drive a manual, just get your friend to drive with you in their car and explain some of the finer points. It's not so hard on the clutch. When I was learning, my brother got me to drive up an incline slowly, then stop and hold the car in one place without using the brake. Good lesson!

Old 07-07-2011, 08:38 PM

8,174 posts, read 7,092,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Thank you for the quick responses. I've never handled a stick before (cue the gay jokes), but for the life of me I always thought to myself "Why would someone WANT to always be shifting gears and using a clutch like that? It seems like a lot of unnecessary work." I had no idea there were such great economic advantages in terms of fuel efficiency.
It also keeps your mind in the game.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:51 PM

1,158 posts, read 973,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiekiwi99 View Post

Where did you find it and what sort of car is it? I'm moving to Pgh soon and am starting to look at what sort of car I want to get.
Right now the KIA dealerships everywhere are having good deals on the Soul. I got mine at Shorkey Kia.
You won't be doing mountain driving here in the 'Burgh but you will be doing very hilly driving, guaranteed. And many of the poor road conditions that you find here ( pot holes, bumps and brick or cobblestone )make it about the same as an off road experience, except that you are in the city.It's like having the best of both worlds. LOL!!!

Old 07-07-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcityrising View Post
thank you for the quick responses. I've never handled a stick before (cue the gay jokes).
lol!!!!

Old 07-07-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
FUN to be sure.

Less wear and tear on the brakes; better gas mileage; great in the snow; and chicks dig guys that drive sticks.
Yes but do guys dig chicks who drive sticks ?

Old 07-07-2011, 08:59 PM

25,998 posts, read 44,972,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondee View Post
I personally know some guys who dig chicks who drive sticks who also happen to dig guys who drive sticks, but sssshhhhhh.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:04 PM

8,174 posts, read 7,092,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondee View Post
Damn straight, when I met my wife to be she was driving a Mazda RX-7. She lived on the North Side and was the only one in her apt building that didn't have her car stolen.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:20 PM

3,771 posts, read 3,251,858 times
In newer cars, the difference in gas mileage between manual and automatics is only 2 mpg more at best and there are a good amount of cars with automatic now that get the same mpg or better than with manual. I live in a neighborhood with a lot of stop signs and red lights too so the constant shifting would get annoying fast.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:33 PM

9,878 posts, read 9,038,295 times
Ha! True, another great benefit of the last few decades: the car thieves apparently can't drive sticks either.

The mileage difference has diminished a lot though is still a factor in some cases. These days though on all but a few models you're talking maybe 1-2 mpg even on a fairly small car, not the 5-10 mpg difference of yore.

If the car model is one that comes with a stick (not counting exotics), the manual shift car will be $700+ cheaper when new, usually.

Those are the economic reasons. Used to be maybe an automatic transmission would be more prone to repair, but that's not usually true anymore, plus eventually you'll need a clutch if you have an old enough manual car or keep your new one long enough. (I got 160k out of mine, not bad for living around here.)

The rest of the reasons are more performance and driving related. You get greater control over the engine, though with that you also have to know what you're doing a bit.

Apart from performance cars, though, manual shift has long been associated in this country with cheap in this country. (It's not been the case so much in other countries, mainly where gas has long been more costly, etc.) So the main place you see it outside of performance circles is at the low end of the smaller car ranges. The key advantage there is still performance related though, in that acceleration will be faster. It might cut the acceleration to 60mph by a whole second or more in the same small car with the same engine. (There's a diminishing return in acceleration as the engines get more powerful.)

The main drawback to the manual shift is in stop and go traffic and driving around a hilly city like, hm, Pittsburgh. But really, in short trips I don't notice that. It's that stop and go driving at the interstate construction zone or stuff that's really the killer. That's when everyone driving a stick wishes for an auto, but only for a little while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh