U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which photo tour would you like to see next?
Historic Mansions of Pittsburgh (including survivors of both Millionaire's Rows) Photo Tour 18 38.30%
Historic Churches of Pittsburgh Photo Tour 5 10.64%
Historic Cemeteries of Pittsburgh Photo Tour 6 12.77%
Fairywood Photo Tour 3 6.38%
Cranberry Photo Tour 10 21.28%
Other 5 10.64%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 07:00 AM

3,826 posts, read 2,374,549 times
I voted for historic churches, but I'd like to see historic churches that are no longer being used for that purpose.

Places like the piano bar in the 1000 block of E. Carson, the red brick apartment building across the street from Fatheads or the grocery store across the street from Wholeys in the strip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 08:13 AM

828 posts, read 576,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennHillsNative80 View Post
I would love to see a photo tour of Wilkinsburg. You could photograph all of the renovations that are occuring in Hamnet Place, businesses on Penn and Wood Avenues, and all of the beautiful homes that are down there.

If AA doesn't do it, I may be able to do it. I already have photos from Hamnett Place.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:50 AM

7,360 posts, read 6,565,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
If AA doesn't do it, I may be able to do it. I already have photos from Hamnett Place.
do it! there can always be 2, or more. i think someone (brian?) posted some photos of the penn/wood business district a while back. i'd love to see some photos of other parts of wilkinsburg though, especially the abandoned and restored victorians around here.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:56 AM

3,884 posts, read 3,571,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
do it! there can always be 2, or more. i think someone (brian?) posted some photos of the penn/wood business district a while back. i'd love to see some photos of other parts of wilkinsburg though, especially the abandoned and restored victorians around here.
Wilkinsburg is a great idea. You should do it, Stburr. I can always come back and do another photo tour at a later time in Wilkinsburg.

Aliquippa sounds fun. I was just in Greensburg last month, but forgot my camera. Lots of architectural treasures there! Oakmont is also a good suggestion.

It looks like the historic mansions tour is currently winning, and that is the one I really want to do, because I am fascinated with the remnants of the old Millionaire's Rows on Western Avenue and Brighton Avenue on the North Side, as well as Fifth Avenue in Shadyside. I have a friend who has a lot of church friends who could get me inside some of the cathedrals around the city. That was my inspiration for the church tour. There are some amazing churches in every neighborhood.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:58 AM

18,717 posts, read 13,883,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
IMO, the more the merrier. Even if a neighborhood has been photo toured a few times, a new tour is bound to show a few new places.

Tours of some of the local parks would be interesting. Or, maybe a tour of different waterfront areas. Do you kayak? One of my favorite photo tours in another forum showed what different parts of a city look like as you kayak by it.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:07 AM

828 posts, read 576,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
IMO, the more the merrier. Even if a neighborhood has been photo toured a few times, a new tour is bound to show a few new places.

Tours of some of the local parks would be interesting. Or, maybe a tour of different waterfront areas. Do you kayak? One of my favorite photo tours in another forum showed what different parts of a city look like as you kayak by it.

Alright, looks like I'll be doing a Wilkinsburg photo tour.

As for local parks, I have a ton of pics from Frick Park, so I could throw something together soon.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:21 AM

127 posts, read 136,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post

Yes, there's a lot of fascinating architecture in Wilkinsburg. Maybe these photo sets can spur some interest in the neighborhood? There are hundreds of abandoned beautiful Victorian homes dying for attention (Rebecca Ave, Singer Pl, Hill St, Franklin Ave, Whitney Ave, Coal St - All east of the train tracks).

You could photograph the restorations in Hamnett Place, businesses on Penn Ave, the Penn Lincoln Hotel, the school buildings, School for the Deaf, Singer Mansion, and all of the beautiful churches in Wilkinsburg.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:49 PM

20,274 posts, read 17,323,553 times
Here is my Wilkinsburg commercial district tour:

WILKINSBURG (Pittsburgh area) Commercial District - SkyscraperPage Forum

I'd like to do some residences at some point . . . .

Old 07-10-2011, 01:59 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,504,235 times
I would say Hell No to Quipp if I was frightened in Fairywood... Yet if AA wants to go through an exciting photo tour than he should check out the Linmar Terrace Housing Projects... Now I'm not gonna turn this thread into a huge feud over safety in Wilkinsburg so I won't comment on that Although, as others posted Wilkinsburg has some pretty nice architecture.

Old 07-10-2011, 04:28 PM

132 posts, read 120,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Here is my Wilkinsburg commercial district tour:

WILKINSBURG (Pittsburgh area) Commercial District - SkyscraperPage Forum

I'd like to do some residences at some point . . . .
Nice pics.... repped!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh