U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 07-26-2011, 07:42 AM

9,867 posts, read 7,715,764 times
Why does even this argument have to be one extreme or the other? Plenty of people dress presentably somewhere in between.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-26-2011, 07:45 AM

4,261 posts, read 3,550,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Why does even this argument have to be one extreme or the other? Plenty of people dress presentably somewhere in between.
I have no idea. GQ seems to make it want to be the high-end of fashion extreme.

Unread 07-26-2011, 07:57 AM

10,287 posts, read 6,000,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Most people are in the middle and go more unnoticed. I think the ones that stick out the most are the super baggy paints types with their butts hanging out. They are trying as hard as they can to get attention. "Look at me, look at me, I am rebelling against people who are working hard, I don't care and want the world to know it!!"

Unread 07-26-2011, 08:00 AM

11,832 posts, read 8,600,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I want to address this by itself. The GQ looking guy tries no harder than anyone else. We wear things that portray our outlook and personality. The guy that wears pajama paints is the same as the GQ guy in the fact they are wearing what they want to portray. One cares, the other wants the world to know, I don't care what professionals are wearing because I am against financial success. The question is why are they against success? My guess is they can't make it and gave up.
This I agree with. Everyone has to get dressed in the morning, and it takes no more effort to pull on a pair of chinos and a dress shirt than it does to wear yesterday's cargo shorts and a t-shirt that's two sizes too big.

Unread 07-26-2011, 09:11 AM

4,404 posts, read 3,968,933 times
Only is the Pittsburgh forum getting so hung up over this....No not everyone needs to look like Carrie Bradshaw knock off nor does everyone dress like a bumb...

I would expect NYC or LA forums to be more up in arm about this, since they were ranked number 1 and 5 worst dressed and they are considered the Fashion Capitals of the U.S.

If you guys are looking for some superficial pretentiousness runway style living city...Sorry that's not the burgh, never has been, probably never will be....Outside of the gay male, Pittsburgh is not a metro-sexual haven, even a place like Shadyside with all its Hipness is not loaded with Metro-sexual males

and Curtis baggy pants and a**es hanging out is not exclusive to Pittsburgh sorry, its found it just about every major metro area in the US of A, its the style in the youth/Hip Hop community.

Unread 07-26-2011, 09:16 AM

65,542 posts, read 51,899,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Only is the Pittsburgh forum getting so hung up over this....No not everyone needs to look like Carrie Bradshaw knock off nor does everyone dress like a bumb...

I would expect NYC or LA forums to be more up in arm about this, since they were ranked number 1 and 5 worst dressed and they are considered the Fashion Capitals of the U.S.
It's funny, I just came over to this forum to post something very similar. The other city forums that I visit that made "the list" have no threads at all about this issue. I am talking Boulder and Omaha, to name two.

Unread 07-26-2011, 09:17 AM

10,287 posts, read 6,000,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
and Curtis baggy pants and a**es hanging out is not exclusive to Pittsburgh sorry, its found it just about every major metro area in the US of A, its the style in the youth/Hip Hop community.
Never said it was a Pittsburgh thing. Just said it was a bunch of people trying to get as much attention as they can by saying, look at me, look at me, I don't care so my underwear is hanging out and I wear paints 5 sizes too big and have to hold them up so they don't fall! Goodness, talk about trying hard! The GQ guy isn't trying nearly as hard as those baggy paint people. I mean at least the GQ guy can walk down the street with his paints on without holding them up. Such effort to look like you don't care. It is kind of funny really. It is also a very OLD look. I can't believe it has stayed so long! It started in the late 80's early 90's and it is still in fashion with the I don't care people. Wow!

Unread 07-26-2011, 01:15 PM

3,837 posts, read 2,425,550 times
Quote:
The excuse of comfort is a little weak. You can wear a nice linen shirt and nice paints and be very comfortable and look sharp. Wearing paints that are 5 sizes too big walking around holding them up with your underwear hanging out is much less comfortable. I have to laugh when I see these people holding their paints up. I mean, get a life. Talk about trying too hard.
Do you pronounce "pants" the way you spell it?
Quote:
The GQ guy isn't trying nearly as hard as those baggy paint people. I mean at least the GQ guy can walk down the street with his paints on without holding them up. Such effort to look like you don't care.
There was a guy carrying a baby, a baby stroller, and a backpack on the bus today. He was having the hardest time getting from the back of the bus to the front, and then off the bus, because he was wearing "paints" and he literally had to swish his ass back and forth in near half-circles to keep himself from showing everyone on the bus his entire pair of Polo Ralph Lauren boxers.

Unread 07-26-2011, 08:42 PM

8,848 posts, read 6,880,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Do you pronounce "pants" the way you spell it?

There was a guy carrying a baby, a baby stroller, and a backpack on the bus today. He was having the hardest time getting from the back of the bus to the front, and then off the bus, because he was wearing "paints" and he literally had to swish his ass back and forth in near half-circles to keep himself from showing everyone on the bus his entire pair of Polo Ralph Lauren boxers.
He could get a job with the Ministry of Silly Walks.

Unread 09-01-2011, 03:28 AM

4,404 posts, read 3,968,933 times
Here's PittGirls take on the Ranking.....refreshing to know she's too of the "I love Pittsburgh's non pretentious, I don't have to wear D&G just to go to Giant Eagle" crowd...

[Pittsburgh Magazine: September 2011 v.2] - Powered by PageTurnPro.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh