U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 08:01 AM

441 posts, read 394,322 times

Advertisements

I never understood people who give a **** about what other people are wearing. Honestly, why do you care? Do you worry about such unimportant nonsense because you've got nothing better to think about? Is your self-esteem that low that you need to build it up by judging other people's clothes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 08:24 AM

2,163 posts, read 2,688,990 times
You have to take these goofy lists (especially from a magazine like GQ) with a huge grain of salt. I'm sure it was written to gain some press in all the cities mentioned, and they made their goal. I think that the way people dress has generally declined everywhere. It's not so much the fashion as the casual attitude people take with it. I still can't get used to seeing people coming out of a Catholic church on Sunday morning wearing in shorts and sandals.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:55 AM

9,751 posts, read 8,785,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirade View Post
I never understood people who give a **** about what other people are wearing. Honestly, why do you care? Do you worry about such unimportant nonsense because you've got nothing better to think about? Is your self-esteem that low that you need to build it up by judging other people's clothes?
Well clothes are part of my attraction to a woman, but I don't care about what brands she wears or the price she paid, just as long as she wears it well.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:16 AM

13,225 posts, read 10,887,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirade View Post
I can't believe that people think that clothes don't matter. So you go to the doctor and he comes in wearing cargo shorts and flip flops and a Dave Matthews Band t-shirt from 1998, and that's going to instill confidence in you that you're getting the best quality medical care? You go pick up your date, and she's wearing 6-inch lucite heels with cut-off sweatpants and a tube top, and you're going to be happy to introduce her to your mother? Of course people are judged by their clothing, as they should be. What you wear is part of your first impression on others.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:23 AM

1,437 posts, read 1,488,837 times
Today's "Going out to work in the yard" outfit will be my blue basketball shorts, brown sandals, and if I'm feeling generous I might put a shirt on. Probably not, I could use the sun.

And you know what? It doesn't matter.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:03 AM
Status: "60th anniversary of the polio vaccine! Hail to Pitt!" (set 12 days ago)

70,066 posts, read 60,674,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
You have to take these goofy lists (especially from a magazine like GQ) with a huge grain of salt. I'm sure it was written to gain some press in all the cities mentioned, and they made their goal. I think that the way people dress has generally declined everywhere. It's not so much the fashion as the casual attitude people take with it. I still can't get used to seeing people coming out of a Catholic church on Sunday morning wearing in shorts and sandals.
Well, of course you have to take all such lists with a grain of salt. I do. These descriptions of the various cities were all written by different people, too, so what's important to one writer may not matter a bit to another. Of the cities I've lived in/been too, they got it about 85% accurate. People dress very casually at my Lutheran church, too, including young women in tops with no back and very little front, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I can't believe that people think that clothes don't matter. So you go to the doctor and he comes in wearing cargo shorts and flip flops and a Dave Matthews Band t-shirt from 1998, and that's going to instill confidence in you that you're getting the best quality medical care? You go pick up your date, and she's wearing 6-inch lucite heels with cut-off sweatpants and a tube top, and you're going to be happy to introduce her to your mother? Of course people are judged by their clothing, as they should be. What you wear is part of your first impression on others.
Yes. There has been a lot of research about what kind of clothing patients want to see health care personnel wearing. Most prefer something that looks "professional" and identifies the person, e.g. as a nurse, doctor, maintenance worker, whatever. I once interned at a hospital where everyone, including the patients, dressed in "street clothes". Doctors would sometimes make rounds in jeans, the patients wore jeans, the nurses wore khakis, etc and T-shirts. You could identify the pastors by their clerical collars, and the cleaning staff wore black pants and maroon scrub tops. It was wierd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinGlanzendMotorrad View Post
Today's "Going out to work in the yard" outfit will be my blue basketball shorts, brown sandals, and if I'm feeling generous I might put a shirt on. Probably not, I could use the sun.

No, it doesn't matter in your own yard. But if you have to make a run to the store, at least put on a shirt.

Old 07-16-2011, 11:44 AM

20,274 posts, read 18,901,765 times
Of course a good amount of that is just a matter of convention--if people expect a doctor to dress a certain way, then it has significance if the doctor decides to violate those norms. But what if the norm didn't exist in the first place?

And if you ask certain people I know, every young woman today dresses like a prostitute. Except they don't, really, because those aren't the norms anymore.

Old 07-16-2011, 12:49 PM

18,717 posts, read 15,672,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinGlanzendMotorrad View Post

LOL, if it makes you feel any better, right now I'm wearing my 20-year-old tie-dyed Grateful Dead shirt, my navy blue Danskin yoga shorts that look a little too long, my glamor-gal humongous sunglasses, and an orange/pink cap. And I'm sitting outside on my deck for all the world to see!

And to make it worse--I just got back from kayaking so people in two different states may have had the chance to take a gander at me.

Hey, maybe that GQ writer was standing on the balcony at the Kennedy Center, and saw me in all my tie-dyed glory. For all I know he screamed "My eyes! My eyes!"and is now writing a quick amendment to his article, placing DC at the very TOP of the list.

Old 07-16-2011, 12:55 PM

18,717 posts, read 15,672,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
No, it doesn't matter in your own yard. But if you have to make a run to the store, at least put on a shirt.
...especially if you happen to be female....

Of course at my age it may not be such a big deal any more. Probably the only reaction I'd get would be someone turning to a friend and saying "Oh that reminds me, they're having a sale on melons today..."

Old 07-16-2011, 01:02 PM

441 posts, read 394,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I don't consider required work uniforms to be in the same league as snooty fashion magazines. Perhaps I should edit my post and replace "clothes" with "fashion".

Also, I don't see the problem with 6-inch lucite heels and sweatpants. It's not something I'd wear myself, but if they're comfortable in those clothes, good for them for having the confidence to wear whatever they want. It's not like their fashion choices affect me in any way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh