U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 01:13 PM

1,183 posts, read 1,821,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrn14 View Post
Honestly I had a tougher time at Bishop Leonard which was a private Catholic school for my three years of middle school than I did in HS. However, I did feel the teachers at Bishop Leonard were more invested in their students.
I also grew up directly across the street from Bishop Leonard. Small world thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 01:25 PM

1,183 posts, read 1,821,232 times
I should also clarify that I had a very particular experience within the Pittsburgh Public Schools -- I went to magnet programs (post-elementary school) and took basically all CAS classes. At Brashear, I think there were...maybe 25 of us in the CAS program, as I recall? That's probably like 5% of our class, and a lot of people dropped out over the years. Nonetheless, we had a very different experience than our mainstream peers, for sure.

I did take Phys Ed and Health with the mainstream kids in 9th grade, and I'll say it was pretty rough. There was a decent amount of violence -- kids who got picked on EVERY DAY...I saw a kid get his nose broken, at least one relatively insane fight in the lunch room, etc. There's definitely a code of conduct, and it's hard to know how to toe the line between being a good student and not being seen as a wimp or a suck-up when you're that age.

That said: In 9th grade, I had acne, braces, and glasses, I was an "honors student," I wasn't particularly athletic, I didn't have a TON of friends, I was a smart-ass, and I frequently wore Hawaiian shirts with red plaid boots. And I didn't have trouble with anyone, ever. I learned very quickly how to carry myself and get the most out of my education while dodging potential pitfalls. As weird as it sounds, I appreciate that I had that experience -- to make it out of there a lot more streetwise was something of a gift that's served me well into my adulthood.

The year after 9th grade, I transferred to CAPA and literally didn't see a single fight for 3 years, absolutely never felt threatened, and believe that I received a great education and a great set of friends I still value today. Lumping CAPA (and at least to some extent Allderdice) in with the anti-PPS rhetoric is just wrong.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:17 PM

781 posts, read 1,438,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
I don't think that this is something unique to PPS. With he increased importance of test scores and the practice of tying the results to staffing and funding decisions around the nation I understand this to be a common practice.
I am uncomfortable with billionaires dictating curriculum.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:22 PM

1,584 posts, read 1,799,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideblinded View Post
Why? Do you feel there are ulterior motives? I've seen no evidence of that. Were those that were dictating curriculum before doing a much better job? What has changed?

Last edited by Lobick; 07-20-2011 at 05:32 PM..

Old 07-20-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Of course they some similar issues in that respect, as they say "kids will be kids". But there is a distinct difference between "The Breakfast Club" and "Dangerous Minds", know what I mean?
Sure I do, but I've also noticed that you've repeatedly used Hollywood or entertainment imagery to define what you believe a suburban high school experience is. I can assure you that "The Breakfast Club" did not come close to defining my experience nor did 90210 or many of the other representations. I don't mean this as a criticism, but I think you may be romanticizing a suburban High School experience that you didn't have but I'm not sure it exists anywhere.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:28 PM

4,690 posts, read 3,906,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideblinded View Post
I agree - if anyone is going to dictate curriculum, better theocrats than plutocrats. Return public education to the Church by law established.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:20 PM

Make up your own mind.

THE BROAD REPORT: The "Broad Effect"

http://parentsacrossamerica.org/2011...e-broad-virus/

Old 07-21-2011, 12:19 AM

Nevermind.

Last edited by Sideblinded; 07-21-2011 at 12:45 AM.. Reason: I give up

Old 07-21-2011, 06:07 AM
gg

17,894 posts, read 18,197,036 times
I don't agree with this stuff. The infection of inner city schools is from within. It can be changed around, but it takes lots of caring parents to change it. Teachers and staff can't change the all important home life. All anyone can hope is East Liberty and Larimer pick up steam and house lots of middle and even some upper class to help the school districts have some more kids that have parents that want better for their children. That will help the numbers in the city and maybe enough to make a real difference. As far as some high power that dictates all this stuff, I don't really buy it. I do wondering sometimes about all the drugs in these bad neighborhoods though. That probably is the most disturbing of all. Anyway, supply and demand will dictate the city's future and right now we have some demand and personally I hope the trend continues. High demand makes things more expensive and shifts some poverty out of such a concentrated area of poor.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:15 AM

That's fine and I thank you for the links. Personally I find very little of that which was linked persuasive. It's all written in far too inflammatory a manner to be taken seriously and doesn't remotely provide an unbiased evaluation of the impact of these foundations on America's public schools.

I'm generally pro-teachers unions but this whole "Broad Virus" approach strikes me as the response of those whose feathers were ruffled by the "reforms" that these foundations sought to implement and not much analysis of the results of those reforms other than to say they pissed off some people, most notably the authors in the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh