Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 06:28 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,378,860 times

Advertisements

Police arrest 15 in drug gang

Just goes to show Northview Heights (NVH), isn't the only "busy" place on the Northside... The gang neighborhoods on the Northside still clam hood to a pretty big drug market! Even though NVH and Manchester had their FBI raides/sweeps there are still ALOT of criminals (yet not close to as many in the 90's).
I'm not sure of the gang affiliations so I won't comment on that. Though I'm guessing the Forest Hills dealers were with Braddock aka Braddocc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 06:52 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Heroin is some wicked stuff.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:23 PM

Yea. Thats the one drug that in active use even looks worse than its users!!! How could someone jab it in their veins! You can tell I'll never be a doctor or a Junkie

Old 07-16-2011, 04:58 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
How could someone jab it in their veins! You can tell I'll never be a doctor or a Junkie
LOL me neither. I can't even give myself allergy shots.

Old 07-16-2011, 05:42 AM

6,339 posts, read 11,084,820 times
The Meth problem in PA is small when compared to Missouri. I checked the stats and in 2009 MO had almost 2,000 Meth labs busted while PA had something like 150. So many people in MO appear to be under the influence of drugs that this is the only explanation I have for the bizarre and sociopathic behavior exhibited by a lot of these people.

Which areas of the Northside have drug and gang activity? I was planning on looking at some of those neighborhoods during my next trip.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:59 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
The Meth problem in PA is small when compared to Missouri. I checked the stats and in 2009 MO had almost 2,000 Meth labs busted while PA had something like 150. So many people in MO appear to be under the influence of drugs that this is the only explanation I have for the bizarre and sociopathic behavior exhibited by a lot of these people.

Which areas of the Northside have drug and gang activity? I was planning on looking at some of those neighborhoods during my next trip.
From what I could tell, the areas close to Ohio River Boulevard (PA 65) looked kind of seedy, although Brighton Heights is OK once you get up the hill.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:09 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,257,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
Police arrest 15 in drug gang

I'm not sure of the gang affiliations so I won't comment on that. Though I'm guessing the Forest Hills dealers were with Braddock aka Braddocc.

Not necessarily.

Motorcycle gang members are also involved in the drug trade and could have been among the arrested, not just the traditional street gangs.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:12 AM

The worst area is Northview Heights (housing projects) by far! Even though there's a gate and a camera booth at the entrance and exit shootings & stabbings still ocour. Many high ranking members of the NVH Crips recently got indicted by the FBI under the RICO Act, yet I still I rank it the 4th worst neighborhood in Allegheny County.
Other notrious crip sets include the Brigton Place Cripz of California-Kirkbride, North Charles Street Cripz of the Charles Street Valley in Perry South, and the Fineview Cripz in from the Allegheny Dwellings housing projects in Fineview... All the crips made an alliance to unite against the OGz calling themselves the Souljas of Everybody Cripz, and yet subsequently they all had members indicted under the RICO Act. http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/2011/July/11-crm-922.html http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10056/1038485-53.stm The crips fued with all the other major gangs on the Northside except themselves & have a few other cross-town rivals.

The other BIG notrious street gang on Northside was the Original Gangsters/Wilson Ave Gangstas (OGz). They fly black, white, and purple as gang colors. The OGz claim turf in Upper Manchester (Manchester), and in/around Wilson Avenue, Perry South. Recently the FBI indicted app. 30 high ranking members of the Manchester OGz and their drug connects. http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11063/1129584-53.stm So the gang is trying to stay under the radar, yet they still rival the Crips, Tre Eights & Hoodtown Mafia.

Also, there are the Tre Eights, who claim turf in Perry South in the area by the Swindle Bridge, off Perrysville Ave. They fly white & red with a lil bit of black, and feud with the Crips & OGz.
The Hoodtown Mafia is a street gang that flys black & white colors & claim turf in part of Central Northside (north of Jacksonia St/in the Alpine Parklet section). Hoodtown fueds with the Crips & OGz.
Most of Marshall-Shadeland, the housing projects Spring Hill, and East Dutchtown (East Allegheny east of the highway) are areas to avoid too.
I categorize them as
Very Very Bad
Northview Heights
Very Bad
Allegheny Dwellings (Fineview)
Bad, but not that bad in comparison
Upper Manchester/most of Perry South/California-Kirkbride/most of Marshall-Shadeland/projects of Spring Hill
Edgy, not that bad
Part of Central Northside/East Dutchtown

Most of the in Northside is safe and stable and all of the areas are much safer than they were in the 90s! Street gangs outside of the projects only clam turf they no longer dominate their areas... Most gang members of Northside gangs are ethier dead or in prision!

Last edited by Uptown kid; 07-16-2011 at 08:49 AM..

Old 07-16-2011, 08:27 AM

Good point I like Spam... I know we have many Pagen crews in our area...
Brighton Heights is safe... Dont be too alarmed if you see Brighton Heights in a bad blog/article, Brighton HEIGHTS could be confused with Brighton PLACE, which is a section and a road in California-Kirkbride.
Although, like Gnutella posted Brighton Heights is seedy in the southern area which borders Marshall-Shadeland.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:43 AM

6,339 posts, read 11,084,820 times
Thanks for the detailed response. Looks like the areas that interest me are not directly in the line of fire from gang activity. I'd be a few blocks away at the very least from the activity.

How about Vandergrift and Apollo? That is the other area that interests me. Any kind of gang or drug activity going on there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh