Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 01:03 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,573,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by la_torquemada View Post
Sadly I have to agree. I've just been experiencing this in my neighborhood from NEW residents. I've been here 8 years but suddenly *I'm* getting the evil eye from new black residents. Whether this is because I'm white or more because I'm not involved in their "industry," I can't really say, but nonetheless, it's no fun.
"Industry", LOL. I think it is because of the so called industry and not because you are white because I'm black and I get those looks too because I don't fit in with the "industry people".

Old 09-26-2007, 01:07 PM

I don't think Pittsburgh is racially segregated, I think that it is financially segregated. I think there are lower class neighborhoods, middle class neighborhoods, and upper class neighborhoods. Only on the east side of town that they are all scrambled together.

Old 09-26-2007, 02:34 PM

675 posts, read 2,098,096 times
Is there such a thing as a city that is not financially segregated? I can't think of anywhere where rich people live across the street from poor.

Old 09-26-2007, 03:57 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
I don't think Pittsburgh is racially segregated, I think that it is financially segregated. I think there are lower class neighborhoods, middle class neighborhoods, and upper class neighborhoods. Only on the east side of town that they are all scrambled together.
What makes Pittsburgh a de facto racially segregated city is that there does not appear to be a substantial black middle class in Pittsburgh. The disparity of class between the races is, of course, at issue across the country. Even so, many cities have a substantial black middle-class that can, if it so chooses, intermingle and live among the white middle-class. I just don't see a lot of that in Pittsburgh, and it's worth considering if there is something unique about Pittsburgh's institutions that keep it that way. In other words, is the racial segregation strictly part of a class pattern, or does racism (or at least discrimination) contribute to both the segregation and the class disparity?

Old 09-26-2007, 05:46 PM

206 posts, read 688,592 times
Quote:
"Industry", LOL. I think it is because of the so called industry and not because you are white because I'm black and I get those looks too because I don't fit in with the "industry people".
Yes, that's been my feeling on it. I've never had anything but friendly relations with any of my neighbors until these people showed up and set up shop.

Old 09-26-2007, 06:29 PM

457 posts, read 431,328 times
By "industry" I take it that you are referring to drug dealing and prostitution, correct?

Old 09-26-2007, 09:03 PM

206 posts, read 688,592 times
Yeah, they're dealing out of a house at the end of my street. Haven't seen girls on my street yet, but it's a matter of time I'm sure. It's disappointing as for the longest time the cops here seemed to keep the activity confined to the main commercial street -- I'm sure there was corruption involved, but at least I felt safe on my street. Now, not so much.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallacus View Post
Is there such a thing as a city that is not financially segregated? I can't think of anywhere where rich people live across the street from poor.
Columbus is finacially mixed. Maybe not rich living right across from poor, but middle class and lower class mixed on one street and rich right around the corner. It seems to make the city as a whole look alot better and more stable. I don't know how it effects the property value though, I would imagine it would slightly lower the value for the rich and slightly raise the value for the other two classes.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
What makes Pittsburgh a de facto racially segregated city is that there does not appear to be a substantial black middle class in Pittsburgh. The disparity of class between the races is, of course, at issue across the country. Even so, many cities have a substantial black middle-class that can, if it so chooses, intermingle and live among the white middle-class. I just don't see a lot of that in Pittsburgh, and it's worth considering if there is something unique about Pittsburgh's institutions that keep it that way. In other words, is the racial segregation strictly part of a class pattern, or does racism (or at least discrimination) contribute to both the segregation and the class disparity?
I totally agree, even though most of my family is middle class and black. It does seem like if you are black you are more likely rich or poor (more likely poor sadly) than middle class. I notice more and more the city and county are trying to intermingle the classes by putting low income housing in higher income communities such as Monroeville, West Mifflin, South Park, Cranberry and etc. but they never seem to work out. I assume that it is because just enough of the wrong people get in and ruin it for everyone. As for your question I am not sure maybe discrimination does have somthing to do with it. I see your location says chicago, how are these issues there?

Old 09-27-2007, 11:02 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,611,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by la_torquemada View Post
Yeah, they're dealing out of a house at the end of my street. Haven't seen girls on my street yet, but it's a matter of time I'm sure. It's disappointing as for the longest time the cops here seemed to keep the activity confined to the main commercial street -- I'm sure there was corruption involved, but at least I felt safe on my street. Now, not so much.
You have to move. Drugs are illegal and hence unregulated. Business that is unregulated and ungoverned can't and won't get done without violence...it's impossible.

And god forbid you call the cops and the dealers find out...or even worse, the cops (like you say) are corrupt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh