Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 01:40 PM

15 posts, read 22,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
Treima -- I have done a big cross-country move in the past, and believe that it will be MUCH easier to find employment if you first finish your degree. Especially since you're close to completion. It is much easier to find a job if you can apply with a college degree, so that may help w/ starting off on the right foot in Pittsburgh. Additionally, it's emotionally satisfying to have the BA behind you. The move will then feel like a fresh start. Lastly, though it's an online program, there may be some administrative or logistical things that are required in Arizona at the end of your program.

I strongly believe in this even if your first job in Pittsburgh is at Starbucks, or something completely unrelated to your field. You'll have an edge w/ a BA in the job market. Being "in school" does not really appeal to employers, even if your studies are off-hours.
I am afraid this move really cannot wait for me to finish my degree, for a couple of reasons. For one, my wife and I are both living with her parents at the moment, and we really do not get along with her dad. As in, I have almost come to blows with the man. We wish we could just move somewhere else in town so we would not have to put up with him, but the rental market here and in Phoenix is well beyond our budget and changing jobs or finding more work isn't possible with local unemployment at 11%. My heart is set on Pittsburgh, and the sooner the better.

The second reason is simply a personal yearning to make my own determination about where I want to live. I am a 22 year old father and husband. I wish that I could be more patient, but Arizona's prospects are dim and fading with the housing market so deeply underwater. I have already asked ASUO if there are any logistics that will be affected by a move across the country, and they assured me that I was fine, I will just have longer to travel if I want to attend commencement in Tempe. Heck, they've had students in Azerbaijan finish their degree with no issue.

Thanks for the response, regardless. I hope that I am not coming off as a spoiled brat that wants to have his cake and eat it too. I just don't want to wait until 2013 to get the hell out of Dodge. I am willing to take my chances with the job market on my high school diploma and work experience. Then, once I have got my degree, I will set out for something even better with the advantage of local knowledge under my belt.

Last edited by Treima; 08-06-2011 at 01:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 03:03 PM

58 posts, read 72,961 times
Sorry, but you can't apply for your Pittsburgher status visa until after 20 years of living here. My boyfriend who has been here for 15 years is still gets funny looks when he tells people he's not originally from here.

But all jokes aside, if I were you I'd stay inside the city. Commuting to and from work is easier when your car is in the shop or you can't get down your street due to snow and ice. You should still look at Sq. Hill because every now and then an apartment that is affordable opens up. Also look at Point Breeze and Regent Square or Highland Park. I think these areas also can have affordable rent if you look hard enough and you are patient.

Good Luck!

Old 08-06-2011, 06:50 PM

15 posts, read 22,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comtesse_Gigi View Post
Sorry, but you can't apply for your Pittsburgher status visa until after 20 years of living here. My boyfriend who has been here for 15 years is still gets funny looks when he tells people he's not originally from here.

But all jokes aside, if I were you I'd stay inside the city. Commuting to and from work is easier when your car is in the shop or you can't get down your street due to snow and ice. You should still look at Sq. Hill because every now and then an apartment that is affordable opens up. Also look at Point Breeze and Regent Square or Highland Park. I think these areas also can have affordable rent if you look hard enough and you are patient.

Good Luck!
Really appreciate the advice. I will definitely consider Squirrel Hill, and I am doing my best to keep my options limited to within Pittsburgh proper. I am still young and want to be able to go to events like sports and concerts. Regent Square has been in my crosshairs for some time now. Thanks!

Old 08-09-2011, 10:14 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,527,752 times
Just wanted to say that it's refreshing, even inspiring, to hear someone your age refer to yourself as a "father and husband". It is very heart-warming. Sounds like your priorities are in order, and that as long as you put your kiddo first & listen to your gut, everything will work out for the best. Personal integrity is far more valuable than a college degree, and potential employers will take notice. Best wishes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh