U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-26-2011, 03:50 AM

3,884 posts, read 3,556,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catchtwenty2 View Post
With exception of GNC and maybe Omaha Steaks... when was the last time you saw a stand-alone chain store outside a mall type environment?
Center City Philadelphia. They were all over. Also Manhattan.

We have some on Walnut Street in Shadyside, and some in Squirrel Hill and Oakland.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 06:38 AM

293 posts, read 252,456 times
This is great news!!! I feel tempted to join this because it's close to my house and could have cool amneities and a good price, but I have a really good thing going at the YMCA downtown where I've been consistantly going to the gym! I feel it might be a bad idea to fix something that isn't broken even though I bet LA fitness would be a fraction of the price. Also I think something like the gym will increase traffic to the South Side Works and raise awareness of the retailers that are there. This can only help the exisisting business that are there.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:11 AM

3,313 posts, read 1,808,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
What I don't understand about the SSW is why it needed to be built. Couldn't many of those businesses have been integrated into the existing South Side store fronts on Carson? Why does it take new buildings to lure mall-type stores?
The existing buildings on Carson St are already pretty much filled up & most of the few places that remain empty are because of owners with out of their mind expectations of what their property is worth.
I think the SSW makes a pretty good anchor at the end of Carson, I just wish the other end (beyond 10th St) would see a turnaround to link with Station Square. I'm hoping the SouthSide high school residential project which seems to be chugging along nicely will add some more life to that area.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:19 AM

1,290 posts, read 722,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picksburg Stillers View Post
It's not just the bookstore. Nine West is closing at the end of this month, Steve Madden closed not too long ago. Cole Haan, Z Gallerie, Via Boutique, Ann Taylor Loft, I've lost count of how many stores have closed there. The only places doing well are the chain restaurants. Are you really trying to pass that off as some sort of success for the place?

They probably couldn't find anything else to put in there. That was my point. What retailer wants to go to a place where every other retailer is closing up? And don't blame the recession. None of the other newer retail developments are suffering like SSW.
SouthSide Works adds, and subtracts, some tenants

Quote:
Trendy Mon site gets new tenants
Some also leave SouthSide Works

SouthSide Works is in a state of flux.
Nine West and Steve Madden are out, LA Fitness and Steel City Mongolian Grill are in. And Toby Keith's I Love This Bar & Grill apparently is in limbo.
It's called retail in the 21st century, always in a state of flux thanks to the ever-increasing dominance of internet shopping. Nobody shops at overpriced boutiques anymore, you can buy all of that stuff online at a discount. Retail just isn't what it once was and it probably will never be like it was in its heyday again.

Also, every place that has moved into the SSW that isn't retail has been doing absolute gangbusters, so it has nothing to do with the SSW development "failing". I am down there all of the time and it is crowded almost 24/7. LA fitness will probably do incredible business as well and become another solid "anchor" for the development.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
What I don't understand about the SSW is why it needed to be built. Couldn't many of those businesses have been integrated into the existing South Side store fronts on Carson? Why does it take new buildings to lure mall-type stores? I feel the same way about the Waterfront. What kept those businesses from opening in the existing Homestead business district? Why did they have to build a new one 500 feet away from the old one? If the area can support a mall-type development, why can't it support a healthy business district?

I usually agree with you when it comes to most stuff, but this is not a case of preservation as there was nothing there before... it was a total blank slate. Something new had to be built, and the Southside also needed a town square type gathering place. I think that they succeeded quite well with this development.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:08 PM

3,884 posts, read 3,556,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
I usually agree with you when it comes to most stuff, but this is not a case of preservation as there was nothing there before... it was a total blank slate. Something new had to be built, and the Southside also needed a town square type gathering place. I think that they succeeded quite well with this development.
I actually love the SSW. I think it is beautiful and I realize that this is not a case of preservation.

My concern (and perhaps the Waterfront is a better example of this) is why these types of retailers do not locate in existing business districts more often, rather than mall-type settings?

Old 07-26-2011, 10:58 PM

116 posts, read 104,505 times
Quote:
I actually love the SSW. I think it is beautiful and I realize that this is not a case of preservation.

My concern (and perhaps the Waterfront is a better example of this) is why these types of retailers do not locate in existing business districts more often, rather than mall-type settings?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but many chain/national retailers would choose a mall setting over most urban business districts in Pittsburgh because it's just cheaper and easier to have a clean, safe brick & mortar location ready for them to easily renovate and open, with plenty of parking for customers, in a mall.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpriv View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but many chain/national retailers would choose a mall setting over most urban business districts in Pittsburgh because it's just cheaper and easier to have a clean, safe brick & mortar location ready for them to easily renovate and open, with plenty of parking for customers, in a mall.

Yeah that pretty much sums it up. Also, these new spaces are designed more toward accommodating modern business layouts and square footage. Which national chains are usually picky about since its easier and more efficient to just streamline their requirements.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:58 PM

351 posts, read 495,432 times
Opens tomorrow!

Old 01-06-2012, 01:31 PM

482 posts, read 417,607 times
now if only the Bloomfield location would move forward...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh