Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 06:08 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,613,816 times

Advertisements

LA Fitness officially announces the South Side location

LA Fitness Coming To South Side - Health News Story - WTAE Pittsburgh (http://www.wtae.com/health/28659242/detail.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 06:23 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,872,238 times
Can that name get any more cheesy? I wish Club One would have opened there instead. Local and a cool name. LA? Who wants to have anything to do with that dump?

Old 07-25-2011, 06:25 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,230,060 times
You can get a good aerobic workout on the South Side by trekking the Eleanor St. steps, why would you bother paying to join a gym.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:46 PM

94 posts, read 133,893 times
Wow, the SouthSide Works has really gone down the crapper. How many of their stores have closed, and this is the best they could find for that location?

Old 07-25-2011, 10:46 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,079,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picksburg Stillers View Post
Wow, the SouthSide Works has really gone down the crapper. How many of their stores have closed, and this is the best they could find for that location?
The Southside Works is not even close to going in the "crapper". The bookstore closed because bookstores are closing everywhere. What should they have put in this location that would be so much better in your opinion?

Old 07-25-2011, 11:14 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,688,149 times
They are also opening a location in Hempfield Township/Greensburg. It will occupy the undeveloped section of the Lincoln Place shopping complex (behind Five Guys and Walgreens).

Old 07-25-2011, 11:33 PM

94 posts, read 133,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
The Southside Works is not even close to going in the "crapper". The bookstore closed because bookstores are closing everywhere.
It's not just the bookstore. Nine West is closing at the end of this month, Steve Madden closed not too long ago. Cole Haan, Z Gallerie, Via Boutique, Ann Taylor Loft, I've lost count of how many stores have closed there. The only places doing well are the chain restaurants. Are you really trying to pass that off as some sort of success for the place?

Quote:
What should they have put in this location that would be so much better in your opinion?
They probably couldn't find anything else to put in there. That was my point. What retailer wants to go to a place where every other retailer is closing up? And don't blame the recession. None of the other newer retail developments are suffering like SSW.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:24 AM

366 posts, read 942,303 times
I disagree that other malls aren't suffering. How many stores have open/closed/opened/ under different names at the Waterfront? Times are tough. The stores that are closing aren't just calling and telling the property owner they are closing shop tomorrow. Most retail leases are 2-3 years in length. The property owner was probably not willing to lower the lease on the renewal contract so the retailer leaves.

LA Fitness is going to make a killing, too. South Side is in desperate need for fitness center competition. As I've said before, I'm all for supporting small businesses, but not when the service and pricing are nowhere in line with each other. Add to the fact that there will be 90+ new apartment residences this year in the old Goodwill corporate office and all the existing employees working at the SSW and you have a recipe for success, in my opinion...

Old 07-26-2011, 12:32 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,010,340 times
What I don't understand about the SSW is why it needed to be built. Couldn't many of those businesses have been integrated into the existing South Side store fronts on Carson? Why does it take new buildings to lure mall-type stores? I feel the same way about the Waterfront. What kept those businesses from opening in the existing Homestead business district? Why did they have to build a new one 500 feet away from the old one? If the area can support a mall-type development, why can't it support a healthy business district?

Old 07-26-2011, 03:01 AM

59 posts, read 129,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
What I don't understand about the SSW is why it needed to be built. Couldn't many of those businesses have been integrated into the existing South Side store fronts on Carson? Why does it take new buildings to lure mall-type stores? I feel the same way about the Waterfront. What kept those businesses from opening in the existing Homestead business district? Why did they have to build a new one 500 feet away from the old one? If the area can support a mall-type development, why can't it support a healthy business district?
Would you rather an empty former LTV lot in both places? There seem to be plenty of offices in SSW, which I imagine are keeping the developer afloat rather then silly retail. Hell, American Eagle is headquartered there. As well as our Steelers and my favorite awful Pitt Panthers.

Oh, and chain stores follow chain stores. With exception of GNC and maybe Omaha Steaks... when was the last time you saw a stand-alone chain store outside a mall type environment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh