Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 10:03 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,094,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I could get 10,000 signatures for anything to present to council if I spent enough time out with a clipboard......put it to a referendum if you want to see if residents really are willing to pay a special library tax. I sure wouldn't vote for it.
The 10k signatures are the first step in getting it on the ballot... a referendum is the whole point of the effort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 10:11 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,627,786 times
Everybody does use a library or has used a library at one point or another. Sure I'd rather have no taxes, but this one may actually make more sense than any of the otehr ones.

Look at how many other taxes are out there that no one has no clue to what they are used for. Would you rather not have your kids know how to use a library?

Old 07-26-2011, 10:13 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,878,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
The 10k signatures are the first step in getting it on the ballot... a referendum is the whole point of the effort.
Well I apparently can't read & skipped over the referendum part in the very first sentences....I thought they were trying to get the council to just vote on the measure; then yea, it's fine, i stand corrected.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:15 AM

357 posts, read 888,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
A friend of mine has told me that Oakland, California has a tax like this one.
We already have this tax. It is called the RAD tax, and it is that extra 1% sales tax you pay when you buy something taxable in Allegheny County. That's what is supposed to be funding the libraries.

I don't see why we should do a city-only property tax to increase funding for a library system that benefits the entire county (e.g. via eiNetwork). That's not going to get my vote.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:21 AM

780 posts, read 1,384,002 times
Here's a novel idea, why not use a good portion of the extra revenue from the already instituted raised parking rates and put it towards the libraries. Quit funding the pensions with that money and actually get something worthwhile from it.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:27 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,094,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hempfield mania View Post
Here's a novel idea, why not use a good portion of the extra revenue from the already instituted raised parking rates and put it towards the libraries. Quit funding the pensions with that money and actually get something worthwhile from it.
Harrisburg would not allow the City to do so. State law mandates the funding of the pensions.

Also recall that the State required that parking tax rates be lowered recently but oddly enough the rates charged by the providers didn't fall accordingly.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:53 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,962,766 times
I'd vote for the tax. There are things the libraries have that are not available digitally, ie, articles of historical interest in the Pennsylvania Room, out-of-print books, sheet music, art books. Plus the library is a sort of community meeting place. I frequent the main libraries in Oakland, East Liberty and Squirrel Hill a lot, and the number of kids who go through those places to take advantage of the programs is incredible.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:01 PM

408 posts, read 991,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGuy View Post
Maybe people with money should ignore their not so fortunate fellow man and keep living the great White american dream! Shame! I wonder what else "people with money" want...
you can be an idealist and I'll be a realist

Old 07-26-2011, 12:11 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapp View Post
We already have this tax. It is called the RAD tax, and it is that extra 1% sales tax you pay when you buy something taxable in Allegheny County. That's what is supposed to be funding the libraries.

I don't see why we should do a city-only property tax to increase funding for a library system that benefits the entire county (e.g. via eiNetwork). That's not going to get my vote.
Sort of. We have evey non-profit under the sun asking for dollars from the RAD tax. For example, we gave a lot of money to help Upper St. Clair with one of their parks. Didn't realize this was a regional park, but apparently it is. And 5000 to the Bulgarian National Education and Cultural Center. Now, I realize that many of these smaller non-profits depend on these grants but I personally would rather have a stable library system than many of these smaller non-profits.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:12 PM

408 posts, read 991,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML North View Post
I don't see the difference between a "place where poor people can use digital devices for free" and a place where poor people can read books for free. It's kind of the purpose of the public library.
Prior to the past decade, access to such a breadth of information was not available anywhere but a library. Your typical bookstore was much smaller than a typical library. To have access to that kind of information in your home would have required an exorbitant amount of space, money, and effort.

Today, all you need is a bottom end computer or e-book reader and an internet connection and much of that information is available in public domain, and in the next decade that gap of missing information will close. So, the potential user-base of the library has greatly diminished.

Frankly, I could see even the poorest individuals' use of a library diminishing as old and nearly costless computer equipment remains competent for tasks such as basic web browsing, and more and more places offering free wifi and even free city-wide wifi starting to gain traction..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh